“Great tour”

Boggo Road Gaol Ghost Tour
Ranked #5 of 385 things to do in Brisbane
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Located in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Boggo Road was one of the most notorious prisons of the Twentieth century. The former prison has reopened as a cultural-heritage tourist attraction which offer tours and events. Through Historical Tours, Historical Re-enactments, Educational Experiences, Functions & Events – the drama and stories of human beings, their failings and their achievements, within the walls of Boggo Road Gaol, are brought to life.Enter. Escape the 21st century…
Reviewed August 21, 2013

My husband and I went on the Boggo Road Gaol daytime tour and really enjoyed every bit of it. Our guide Michelle was fantastic and very interesting to listen to. We have been on a lot of jail tours and this tour was up there with the best. There are plenty of seats to sit on if you get tired and it was easy walking. Would highly recommend a good day out at Boggo Road Gaol to anyone.

1  Thank Jenny854
BoggoRoadGaol, Front Office Manager at Boggo Road Gaol, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2013

Thank-you for such positive feedback, we look forward to locking you up again in the future!

All reviews
"great stories"
"great tour"
in 18 reviews

Reviewed August 19, 2013

I was really wanting to do the St. Helena Island cruise. I felt that a trip to Australia necessitated some form of penal history excursion. Unfortunately the cruise was not running the week we were in Brisbane.

And then I happened upon a Boggo Road Gaol pamphlet at the tourism kiosk on Queen St. I thought this would make a good substitute.

We were not disappointed. The tour contained a lot of interesting historical tidbits about the prison, and entertaining anecdotes about some infamous 'guests.'

I'm a little surprised that this attraction seems to be 'under the tourist radar.'

1  Thank product-of-canada

Thanks for your feedback, great to hear you enjoyed your tour!

Reviewed August 17, 2013

It was $25 to have a 1.5 hour tour, very informative
Worth the money.
Nice little markets next to it on a Sunday morning

2  Thank Bmwmusic

Nice to hear you enjoyed the gaol and the markets. We look forward to locking you up again soon!

Reviewed June 21, 2013

My fiancee brought me on the Boggo Road Gaol tour as a surprise birthday gift and we were the only ones doing the tour on that rainy day. Our guide Russell did a great job- He really knew the history of the place, was friendly, entertaining, and shared many really interesting stories with us. I thought that the admission fee ($25) was really reasonable for a 1.5hr tour and would highly recommend it to anyone.

3  Thank fudoushin
BoggoRoadGaol, Front Office Manager at Boggo Road Gaol, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Thank-you for such positive feedback. There really is no better way to spend a birthday than in gaol!

See more reviews
Reviewed May 25, 2013

I've been on a few of these jail tours now around the world. Our tour was guided by Russell, who was very knowledgeable and entertaining in his delivery. He went that little bit further than you'd expect by finding out where we were from, tailoring the tour to our understanding and filling in the gaps when needed. Good job Russell!

It was made clear that the tour was in its infancy and this does come through. There is certainly a lot of room for further improvement into the future - being someone that provides tourism development and marketing advice to businesses, I would like to see more use of multimedia with videos or audio clips from actual prison guards or inmates. I also think there is an opportunity to look at further revenue options by looking at special photo opportunities and retail of books/souvenirs.

All in all, we enjoyed the tour and found it an interesting way to spend a few hours in Brisbane and I would recommend.

3  Thank JamesHacon

Thanks for your feedback James. We certainly will take this into account to improve our tours for the future!