“Tiny hot and loud” 3 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout
Brisbane
“Tiny hot and loud”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

I had been wanting to try this restaurant for quite some time now and when i got an invite from a friend i couldn't say no. My Husband and I shared the Carolina special for $40 we got some ribs, chicken wings with a blue cheese sauce and their New york fries which is topped with a meaty tomato sauce and sour cream. There is no aircon here just one tiny fan above your head (there is quite a large airconditioning vet in the ceiling but it wasnt on while we were there) so it was really hot inside, there was music playing at a level that you actually have to shout at the person sitting beside you so they can hear you! Not a fan of this in any dining establishment.
Behind the counter, i would like to say that is was like organised chaos but sadly, it wasnt, it was chaos! Gordon Ramsay would have a field day trying to get these guys to work together as a team! They are more than comfortable to have a conversation between themselves for 5 minutes when the line to order is more than 6 deep! We were not impressed! This could be why they had a 45 minute wait for food when we left too. Anyway i could vent for ages on that, onto the food...

The ribs were not the extreme greasy and fatty that you can sometimes get which was really nice and while i wore the smokey sauce like the Jokers smile while eating I wondered how long they were just sitting around for was they were not very hot and I was hoping that the sauce would be home made but it definately tastes straight out of a bottle. The chicken wings sad to say tasted like they had been battered and frozen in a cardboard box for several months and forgotten and then pulled out from the back at the last minute. Thank goodness they were cooked the whole way though. They had a strange taste to them i have yet been able to pin down (my husband thinks its a preservative taste) but in the end we left them as they were pretty horrid. And the fries... the saving grace to this restaurant and the only reason it got an average score and not a poor. They were the only thing that came to us hot and the sauce was fantastic. If i went there again it would be just for these fries!
You can order ahead and take away - if you haven't been and desperately want to try it I would suggest to do that. We were dying for a american themed restaurant to come to Brisbane (even had thoughts of opening one ourselves) but this one sad to say missed the mark. I want good USA customer service when I go there and if the service and food was good I would have left a tip!

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank Shari T

Brisbane, Australia
“Underwhelming”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2012

Had dinner here mid-week. Steady turnover of customers suggests they must be doing something okay, but we couldn't really see it. Service was very slow.
Prices were a little steep for what we had..
Wings had an okay flavour but were totally dried out. Appeared they had sat there a long long time before being served to us. The blue cheese sauce was good, but the serving was ridiculously small. It was described as a dipping sauce so the tiny little container it was served in was a bit of a joke.
The ribs were tender and appeared slow cooked, but totally without any flavour. The sauce that was on the ribs was very sweet - not my favourite, and not really Carolina style in my opinion.
Fries - overpriced - simply frozen shoestring fries same as bought at any supermarket. They were served with a little grated cheese and sour-cream with a little dollop of a 'chilli'. The chilli tasted like it came from a can. Fries were nice, but not dis-similar to what you get at the 'Golden Arches'.
For an American-style restaurant, where were the sides? A little ordinary potato salad just doesn't cut it.
Decor was nice - retro with interesting soundtrack playing in the background.
We didnt dislike the place, but were very much underwhelmed.

• Visited December 2012