Villa Maria Mexican and Latin American Cuisine
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Seating, Waitstaff
“Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2014

My husband and I had been recommend this place so we decided to try it. While the food was nice, the service was slow and very average and the restaurant was only just over half full. My husbands beer took 15mins to come out and then my strawberry margarita followed another 5mins later. I must say I underwhelmed, I've never been served a margarita ($14) is a small wine glass before, it was tiny very disappointing, I would have at least expected a margarita glass from a Mexican place.
Our meal was nice but nothing awesome, I'm not sure I would return here.

• Visited March 2014

Brisbane
“Wonderful wonderful wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2014

I have no idea if Villa Maria is authentic Mexican but we know what we like.

As far as we are concerned Montezuma's is as good as it gets because they rarely stuff it up and their flavours are the boys.

We loved Villa Maria because it doesn't pretend to be something it isn't. I understand that most of the waiters/waitresses are from South America and are here for work experience because it is almost impossible for them to get a green card to north America. Who cares..... talk to the waitresses and you will get the idea that there are other places outside Brisbane..... sigh.

They have a sauce which is part of some of the sauces and is called Chocolate Mexican. It worked brilliantly. They also had something called Mole Mexican and I asked if they could take the skin off first. They did and it was tops.... no it isn't real mole Bruce..... sigh.... again.

On asking one of the South American waitresses if she was related to the owner she said No. She then pointed out the female owner. How many chef's own their restaurant and also does most of the cooking?

I'm a kind of a vegetarian and a bit fussy as well and there are heaps of things I fancy the next time. The restaurant was packed out which has to tell you what the locals think.

Will we be back? Too right we will.

• Visited January 2014
Brisbane
“Authentic South American flavours.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I have both traveled to South America. We were keen to try some of the traditional dishes. We started with ceviche - a raw fish dish that is marinated in citrus juices until cooked. Served with corn it had a little chilly zing. It was delicious, light and fresh. For mains we chose a mixed tasting plate of fried plantain, flavoured rice, tasty beans, avocado, savoury mince, potato cake and a fried egg. This is a very traditional dish and one you could find in many South American countries. The other dish we chose was calamari stuffed with a pork mince and rice. Yum! Plump calamari was stuffed full of the delicious meat. For dessert we had the triple leche cake ( three milk cake). This is a staff favourite and it is very moist and delicately flavoured. The restaurant also had a good selection of imported beers too. We stuck to the South American menu but by the looks of it the Mexican food was pretty good too. There are several restaurants and a bottle shop ( handy) in this little row of shops. Villa Maria is bright and colourful and vibrant and very welcoming. The service was prompt and very friendly. If you are going on a Saturday night I would book - it was packed by 630pm!! Very authentic flavours - reminded us of our travels - we'll be back with friends !

• Visited November 2013
Brisbane, Australia
“Never coming back worst food worst service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013

Came here for dinner tonight with 4 friends.
Arrived at 646pm took 20 minutes for first sangria jug to come out. Entrees we got nachos and jalapeños which were ok at best. Mains came out scattered times I didn't get mine till everyone else had finished.
I ordered 3 types of tacos and ate one bite of each. Disgusting tasted like cat food chicken was bad pork was bad my hubby who loves food said I was being fussy and tried having some and spat it straight out. Told the waitress that it wasn't good and she burst out laughing and walked away. Needless to say will never be back again. Disgraceful :(

• Visited October 2013
“Very ordinary”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

After reading such good reviews my husband and I decided to give this place a try. The seating was cramped but the ambience was nice, the service was pretty good but the menu had way too many choices to do anything properly and this was reflected in very tasteless food and the worst nachos we have ever eaten :-(. The prices were mid range and we would have been happy to pay more if the quality and flavour had been there. Very disappointed overall.

• Visited June 2013