“A nice retreat close to the CBD”
Review of Punthill Brisbane

Punthill Brisbane
Ranked #14 of 167 Hotels in Brisbane
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel before (perhaps a year ago) but didn't review it at the time as it was under construction, with the pool area and gym still not complete.

You get an instant feeling of being in a protected space when you come into this hotel. It is chic and very smart, a little bit zen, very up to date. Reception and booking all painless here, with friendly people in charge at their very informal-feeling front desk. The rooms are beautiful, not really large, but perfectly formed. Giant bed (is it a king?) with very good linen, nice and comfy, small lounge, fully equipped kitchen with plenty of glassware, crockery, pots & pans... good lighting, plenty of good wardrobes, with all of the things that you would expect such as a good iron, etc. Nice adequate bathroom, but wow a bath would be nice. The place is very smart. It looks and feels really good. The decor is excellent. The rooms all have a private terrace, mine with a fantastic city view. Six or seven minutes walk and you are in the city centre for shopping.

Now there are a couple of things that need to be said...

I arrived thirsty and remembered that there was a vending machine at reception, so while I was checking in I went to look for water, but unfortunately the vending machine was empty except for four cans of pepsi. No water. I asked for water. The receptionist pointed me to a complimentary glass jar of water on the front desk, which I gratefully guzzled from... to discover that the water was stale and tasted like mould. It was really rotten. I asked the girls if there was anywhere that I could get water and they said "the tap water is fine", each of them with their bottles of water in front of them on the reception desk. I suggest to management that making sure that bottled water is available to clients is an absolute minimum requirement. Likewise, when I asked for ice, I was told to go to the corner store. Fair enough, but it wouldn't be too difficult to put in a fridge full of water and an ice machine, just one, for the apartments to share. In their favour, the fridge in the room was really good and had a kind-of little ice-maker in the freezer, which gave me a few cubes in a couple of hours. Not enough to fill an ice-bucket and unsatisfactory for a tired traveller who wants a G & T with clinking ice-cubes as soon as they arrive... but anyway...

The pool area is new but already looks a bit sad and unloved. The "gym" (3 pieces of exercise equipment in an open shed in the pool area) is uninviting, cold in the winter (and I suspect stinking hot in the summer)...

The halls and common areas are getting a little bit knocked-around and could do with some love.

The towels were a bit worn out, thin and threadbare.

In general I love this hotel and will stay again and again. In fact this morning I longed to stay another night to have a good sleep in, in that wonderful bed, but I had to get up and go, I had somewhere to be.

Room Tip: I think the view would be better from the front of the hotel than from those at the rear.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Michele B, Guest Relations Manager at Punthill Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Dear Brett_Massoud,
We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and in room facilities at Punthill Brisbane.
With regards to the vending machine, we have just contracted a new operator as the existing one cannot seem to maintain the current stock levels.
Water at the front desk is refreshed at least twice a day.
There is still a lot of planting and landscaping to be done in the very near future around the pool and gym areas. Sorry - most guests love the open air gym; we feel it is very Brisbane!
Our cafe will be complete by the end of October.
Overall we are so pleased that you loved us, and we look forward to being able to welcome you back to Punthill in the future.

There are newer reviews for Punthill Brisbane

Reviewed July 23, 2013

We stayed here for a long weekend in July. We arrived early and our room wasn't ready (although I did say on booking we would be arriving early). Fair enough. So we left our luggage. When we did check in, the chap wasn't very forthcoming or welcoming and we had to find out a lot of information by asking (rather than it being offered). We weren't offered a map of the city, for example. I had to ask about wi-fi and even then I wasn't quite clear on the package so I checked again when there was staff on reception (it was quite often empty) and the lady then was very helpful. She always said hello and was warm and pleasant; I can't say that for all the staff. Twice we walked in from an evening out and was ignored by as we walked through. A bit bizarre given you have to walk past the desk to get to the elevator (there was only one and at check-in/check-out times it was slow). Other than this, the room was fabulous - incredibly spacious and modern as other guests have said. Quiet location yet close to CBD. Overall, very good.

1  Thank vixer
Michele B, Guest Relations Manager at Punthill Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Dear vixer,
Thank you for your review of Punthill Brisbane.
We are pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay. Check in time is guaranteed from 2pm, and we do try extremely hard to comply with guest requests. We are always happy to store luggage until the apartment is ready as when we are fully booked, it is occasionally difficult to have apartments ready early in the day.
We are extremely disappointed to hear that front desk staff are not being as friendly and helpful as they absolutely should be. Of course guests should be acknowledged and we will address this issue as a matter of urgency, that's for sure.
We do hope to welcome you back soon to a warm, welcoming and effusive atmosphere.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Well what can I say, what a brilliant place. I am in the travel industry so I am a little picky when it comes to somewhere to stay. This place ticks all the boxes, love the decor, and as for cleanness it was spotless. The kitchen was well stocked with pots and pans. Room and bed was massive. We could even check in early which was a help as we had come over on the red eye from west.
The front desk staff were very friendly.

Thanks for sharing your lovely apartments with us. Oh I didn't feed the bird on our veranda, but I think it was okay( each veranda has an ornamental bird in a cage).

Room Tip: It was a quiet location so all rooms should be okay
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear Travellingblooms,
Thanks so much for your review of Punthill Brisbane.
We are delighted that you enjoyed the apartments and service during your stay in Brisbane and we look forward to welcoming you back to Punthill in the future. Hopefully you can stay at one of our Melbourne properties should you ever visit Victoria!

Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a weekend in July and loved it. The Punthill is only a few hundred metres up Edward St from the city but really quite and protected from traffic and noise. The rooms and bed were massive. We would definitely stay here again and recommend it to friends and family.

• Stayed: July 2013
Michele B, Guest Relations Manager at Punthill Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2013

Dear Riggers_bra,
Thank you for your comments regarding Punthill Brisbane.
We are extremely pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay and are also happy to recommend Punthill to family and friends!
We look forward to welcoming you back to Punthill sometime soon.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Punthill. My apartment was beautiful- modern, stylish, clean and a little quirky. I considered the space generous. The bed was super comfortable and the kitchenette very practical. Ice in the freezer was a wonderful touch, and one not offered by many hotels. It was great to have both a desk and dining area and there were enough power points to charge all my gadgets. I loved the bird wallpaper and smiled every time I saw it. All staff were friendly and helpful. The only downside was the very slow lift, often occupied by cleaning staff.

The location was great, safe and close to the city. I found everything was within walking distance. It was very handy being so close to Central, and Woolworths. I will definitely return.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Dear ausbirdlover,
Thank you for your lovely comments regarding Punthill Brisbane.
We are delighted that you enjoyed the apartments, facilities and service at the property and we look forward to welcoming you back to Punthill in the future.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the "Punthill" for a night during a lightning trip to Brisbane. We arrived late and checked in via the intercom. There were no issues and the staff were friendly and helpful. After a little difficulty finding the carpark (perhaps it would be helpful to include a small map in the envelope with the room cards for late arrivals like us) we made our way to our room. Our room was beautiful with a very comfortable bed, fantastic kitchenette (including full sized fridge, dishwasher, plates, cutlery etc) and modern bathroom. The only downsides we noted was the noise from the street (the doors to the balcony are not thickened glass) and mechanical noise from the elevator could be heard from our room as it was used throughout then night. Also note that if checking out within peak time in the morning, allow time for the elevator as there is only one and we ended up waiting for about 10 minutes for it to get to the 10th floor (you can always use the stairs!). The location is excellent with a 2 minute walk to newsagency and a well stocked convenience store, 5 minute walk to central station and a coffee cart outside the building. We got a great deal and car parking was included in the price. I would recommend Punthill and stay here again due to excellent finish in the rooms and location.

Room Tip: Rooms not facing the street and away from the elevators may be quieter.
2  Thank Dankir1
Michele B, Guest Relations Manager at Punthill Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Dear Dankir1,
Thank you for your review of Punthill Brisbane.
We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay. Normally there is really minimal street noise; however as you say, if one faces the pool, noise should be negligible. The property is in a very quiet area.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Punthill soon and would love you to stay a bit longer than a "lightning trip"!

Reviewed July 13, 2013

It was our first visit to Brisbane and we were hugely impressed with the Punthill apartment hotel. The rooms were enormous, the hotel was in a great location to access the town and the well equipped kitchen was the cherry on top.

1  Thank Crussell2
Michele B, Guest Relations Manager at Punthill Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2013

Dear Crussell2,
We are thrilled that you chose Punthill Brisbane for your first visit to Queensland's capital city! It is great to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay and we look forward to welcoming you back to Punthill sometime in the future.