“San Churro is a Winner!”

Chocolateria San Churro
Ranked #11 of 96 Dessert in Brisbane
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We first started visiting Chocolateria San Churro at the Sunshine Plaza, Maroochydore (QLD) location. The only reason I'm giving the South Bank location a review of 4 stars instead of 5 is because the quality of the Classic Spanish hot chocolate drinks is not quite as consistent as that in Maroochydore, and the churros are occasionally a bit underdone (we ask for "extra crispy" now and have not had a problem).

All that being said, we LOVE SAN CHURRO. The Spanish style hot chocolates (and all the varieties we've tried) are the best hot chocolate we've had so far - we are regulars, and I believe I am quite addicted now.

We also like the dipping sauces (dark, milk, & white chocolate, plus the dolce de leche caramel), the tapas, most of the milkshakes we've tried (the choco loco is *incredibly* chocolatey!), the sundaes, the strawberry dipping dish, most of the cakes and candies... We've been to Max Brenner and the Chocolate Pavillion in South Bank - they have some nice things too, but we prefer to go to San Churro hands down. The classic hot chocolates are just That Good.

The latest San Churro franchise in Brisbane has been set up nicely, although I'm not sure if they adequately anticipated demand, since the tables are almost always full and there is almost always a line, albeit small. If it's raining outside, you may get caught in a bit of a quandary, since the outdoor seating is not covered. Still, waiting to be seated has never been an ordeal, we usually get seated within just a few minutes, often with our pick of inside or out, and they serve you with a smile as well as a glass of water.

This is also different from Maroochydore, where you order at the counter and then find a table where you are served later. The service at South Bank is probably aimed at simply keeping things more organized, since there is a steady in-and-out flow of guests there. There are a number of staff members constantly running around taking and bringing orders, but it seems to work. I can't remember ever having to wait an uncomfortable amount of time, and they have always been extremely friendly.

For us, San Churro gets two thumbs up!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Finally, San Churro has come to Brisbane! This is giving Max Brenner a run for it's money. The hot chocolate is to die for and the churro's are fresh and simply delicious.
Service is quick. Great place for a coffee, dessert after eating elsewhere or post movie review.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

I am so glad i ended up going to san churro!!! The service and overall atmosphere of the restaurant was superb. Not to mention, the churros themselves were just a bit delicious ;) I can not wait to go back again, the only problem is deciding what to order!

Reviewed March 30, 2013

I have visited a few times & I have never been dissapointed with the quality of the chocolate, churros or cakes on offer. The hot dark chocolate is my favourite drink here. The churros is very good but must be ordered with sugar & not cinnamon & with chocolate not caramel. . . . This is just my opinion though. You will have to decide for yourself! The place is always busy & sometimes I have had to wait a while for service & I would also say the service is sometimes not as friendly or welcoming as it could be. Overall though the place is well worth a visit if you like chocolate. It is good to find a place that serves at decent times. . . . When most other places in Brisbane have stopped serving or are already closing. It really is about time Brisbane had more places staying open a little later like this place.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

San Churros is a great place to relax and indulge your sweet tooth.

We had the fondue for 2. Delicious and creamy chocolate goodness! YUM!

I have eaten here 3 times now. Pretty good and different concept than max brenner.
I've never had to queue out the door!
Its table service, so ask for a table and take a seat and they will come to you to take your order.
However they also do take away which you order from the counter.