“Great location and very affordable”
Review of St Lucia Gardens

St Lucia Gardens
Ranked #134 of 169 Hotels in Brisbane
Reviewed August 14, 2011

I found St Lucia Gardens to be a very convenient place to stay whilst attending my course at the University of Queensland, Brisbane campus. I was within walking distance to the shops and the University. The rooms were clean, the staff were very helpful whenever assistance was required, and I could not fault the service provided.
I would definitely stay at St Lucia Gardens again.

Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed August 2, 2011

I regually travel back and forth between Adelaide and Brisbane. in the last 8 months, I began staying at some of the 4 star hotels around South Brisbane and inner Brisbane. What I found was high rates and average service levels for the price paid. Carparking was also extra and always an issue to find one.

So I decided to look elsewhere, but with the requirement to be within 15 minutes of the city. I came upon St Lucia Gardens, which had a very competative price range for serviced apartment. While being rated as 3 star, the fully equipped kitchen, reasonably large layout and balconies at both ends of apartment is at this cost plus is great value. Also being within 15 min of the city, allowing for easy comuting gives my complete thumbs up. The manager in charge has ensured we are well looked after, storing items whilst absent for days at a time and also ensuring we have forward bookings available.

My first stay several months ago, I was greeted at the BBQ area, handed a plate of cooked BBQ meat and salad, prepared by overseas University lectureres and sat down for a great meal and red wine... It is what it is, quite simple and effective, with the management making no bones about trying to be anything different.

Those looking for 4 star requirements at exporbanent prices and not wanting the simple things, can please themselves and stay elsewhere. No use complaining about these simple things...

Room Tip: Request non road side. Gives peace of quite and tranquil lookout on balcony
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 1, 2011

After reading some earlier very critical reviews I still decided to take the risk...and booked for one night on 8th July 2011. I flew up from Sydney for business and to visit my son who is studying at UQ. St Lucia Gardens exceeded my expectations; it has everything necessary for a good night rest. Car parking and breakfast are included in the price. The place is clean, quiet and friendly and good value. I am a frequent traveller in and out of Australia and based on my experience, I am happy to recommend it to anyone. I asked my wife and her mum who will also be visiting soon to make sure she books at St Lucia Gardens. Thank you!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 29, 2011

Myself and my partner booked in here for one week but ended up staying for two weeks while we were looking for somewhere to live. We found the owners to be most helpful and friendly - they could not do enough for us! The apartment was spotless and contained everything that you could need - a sort of home from home! It is in a great location with bus stops to city and UQ just outside the door, and the ferry terminal just a short walk away. Even when we were leaving the owner was most accommodating and allowed us to store our surf boards and over sized items while we arranged a van to transport the items. All in all I would highly recommend St Lucia Gardens.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed June 21, 2011

I stayed at this place as I had work at the University of Queensland for a month. On departure, the manager wasn't on duty, and was given the invoice by relief staff. The daily rate that was charged was not the rate that the manager has agreed to when I placed the reservation. On good faith I paid the bill and the manager said that he would follow up with the manager on his return. He never did. Phoned up and spoke to the manager. He declined to refund the overcharged amount.
If you do negotiate a better price make sure that you get it in writing from them, otherwise they will double cross you like they did me.
Quality of service etc etc not relevant as they are hosts that you should not trust. Hot water unavailable for 24 hours when the hot water system blew up.

Room Tip: Do not stay at this place
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank southskies
Arthur C, Manager at St Lucia Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2011

After 40 successful years in the hospitality industry, it is unfortunate to see such an incorrect appraisal of our customer service and management care and consideration.

We can assure you that we pride ourselves on our ability to always go above and beyond for our guests and will continue to do so.

This guest agreed and signed the conditions for his stay and after checking out complained that the conditions weren't what was discussed on the phone, even though he had signed for them, we offered a compromise goodwill guesture which he wouldn't accept. It saddens us to have to defend our integrity as people and managers when we do our utmost and take great pride in looking after others.

Reviewed May 21, 2011

no shampoo and conditioner, room was not serviced, "two bedroom" was just the one bedroom with another bed in the loungeroom, $40 charge applied if the dishes were not cleaned. the pool was tiny. overall i'd rather just stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank emilypr
Reviewed April 6, 2011

We stayed at St Lucia Gardens for three weeks in a one-bedroom apartment. We were comfortable and the facilities were fine. The owners - Arthur and Pene - are very friendly and welcoming. We had chosen St Lucia Gardens because it is 10 minutes walk away from my daughter and little granddaughter, who came by our apartment, and were also made welcome. We would definitely chose St Lucia Gardens again.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple