“Worst hostel ever! DO NOT STAY!”

Manly Harbour Backpackers
Ranked #92 of 138 Specialty Lodging in Brisbane
Reviewed January 30, 2013

In a few words: Bedbugs, dirty common areas, insecure hostel, rude staff, only long-termers that think they own the place, way too far from the city.

When we arrived in brisbane and called the hostel we were told that there was no pick up from the city, although advertised online, so had to take the train and find the place on our own- (strike 1!) Finally there and checked in by a rude staff member (strike 2), we wondered why we didn't get a key to our room and were told that: "oh no we don't lock our rooms here" WHAT?? (Strike 3) Anyways, first night cooking in the dirty kitchen was horrible. (strike 4) We were tired and it was nice they were showing a movie in the common area. But long termers would pause, rewind, discuss etc the movie as they liked, there was no way you could meat anyone unless you're part of the "group". So we went to get some sleep on the way-too-thin matress.
Next morning i woke up to hundreds of bed bug bites all over my body, legs, arms, face... (STRIKE 5 and out!) I used to work in a hostel in sydney and know all about bed bugs. Have never experienced or seen THAT many bites on anyone before! When talking to reception about this and asking to change rooms i was dismissed saying there were no other rooms available. All they did to help was 3 sprays of flyspray onto my mattress. I couldn't believe it! Went back to reception, there's no way i could spend another night in that bed. I even trie dto explain that these sprays don't kill the bed bugs at all- this is probably why there are so many, the room needs to be treated properly. The people at reception just shrug their shoulders, then one of them came with me to our room, took my sheets and placed them onto a different bed in that room- problem solved apparently!?! We had already paid for the 2nd and 3rd night and were told that there is no refund despite the trouble we had so we stayed for a 2nd night. I was in so much pain from all the huge bites, had fever that night and only with the help of some painkillers from my friendly roommates, cried myself to sleep.
Although we had paid for our 3rd night we just couldn't stand this place any longer and checked out that morning. We asked to speak to the manager about getting a refund at least for the unused night- but no chance. SO unfriendly. Reception just didn't care at all, weren't even surprised or bothered about the bed bugs, the dirty kitchen or anything else.
Please do yourselves a favour and stay somewhere else!

Room Tip: No room is good here. Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jaana123
There are newer reviews for Manly Harbour Backpackers

Reviewed November 9, 2012

Bit of a half-way house with a few cretins there just hanging around. My mates got destroyed with bedbugs and they don't offer any refunds so you're faced with the prospect of cutting your losses and going elsewhere or to grin and bear it. Luckily I wasn't bitten myself though, and from what I can see, the wooden bunk beds seem to be the problem. On the positive side, the toilets are very clean, and the cleaner they have there is excellent, so aside from those bedbugs, the hostel cannot be faulted for hygiene. However, the lack of air-con means that you have to sleep with the windows wide open, and the noise from the pub across the road means you won't get to sleep until the crowd have gone from there.

The common room is nice, and there's a hifi system there with an auxiliary cable so you can plug in your mp3 player and chill out while reading a book, or watching a DVD. It's not that busy so you can cook easily. They have a free breakfast which is cereals & toast. The hostel is ran by the people who operate the restaurant next door so you get discounted meals there, and the food there is quite good.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Agustus G
Reviewed March 29, 2012

Dirty rooms with serious and on-going bedbug problems. I complained to management and they sprayed pesticide in my room and on my clothes left on the bed without notifying me. Between the bed and my clothes and not being aware that they had used chemicals in my room, I got a major exposure and my skin broke out in terrible rash and burned for a full day, despite many showers to remove substance. I asked for a refund and they refused and I had to pay for a motel rather than stay on. Other backpackers moved out as well after major bites and refusal to refund their money. Reviews report that this has been a problem for many months and has not been dealt with. Notified local council and health department.

Room Tip: Rooms at a different hostel.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Zachary W
Reviewed January 26, 2012

Booked and paid to stay in the Pop Room for 8 nights, lasted for 6 (no refunds). The room was clean and spacious but with no air conditioner we had to leave the windows open at night to get some breeze. Unfortunately this breeze also contained noise and cigarette smoke from people drinking, smoking and swearing loudly on the fire escape stairwell until 2-3am. The common lounge area was a great place to relax with a huge range of videos to watch. The kitchen was basic and the included breakfast was good, but the fridge, freezer and some of the cupboards were really dirty and quite disgusting. The cat that unofficially lived in the backpackers peed in our luggage and friends who stayed in the Country & Western room ended up with bed bug bites.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Jo H
Reviewed April 13, 2011

This has to be bar none, the best hostel I have stayed in yet. It is so open and airy, and the staff are incredible. You can see the ocean from most of the rooms. There were alot of people that had been there for months and were not planning on going anywhere. It is really like a little community there. It is a bit of a ride if you want to take the train to town, but it is worth it to get out to where it is quiet and relaxing. You cannot go through Brisbane without staying at this hostel for at least a few nights!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank A_Life_Less_Ordinary
Reviewed November 8, 2010

So I just wrote an awesome review, but lost it...anyways noticed some cool things on my second time round, new common rm/kitchen and tidied rooms, maybe painted, not entirely sure, but looked good anyways..It's NOT the most modern thing going, some parts bit old, but cool character.

Can't remember if we did last time, but this time, we went sailing on Sunday, then had an Ozzie BBQ on Monday and then a Pool Comp in the Bar on Tuesday....all the people were really friendly and it is still really casual and family like.

I love the water, so I liked being by the Bay, rather than in City. One thing to note is, it is 25 mins from City, but trains are good and I was over the city anyways, they're smelly!!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank nivmart
Reviewed July 1, 2010

This place was recently taken over by the new owners and they were trying so hard to make the necessary improvements. They know that a lot needs to be done but they are approaching it step by step. The were very helpful and took the time to speak with you and even joined in the late night drinking out the back with the other, mostly long stay, backpapers.

Location wise this place is quite a way from Brisbane but if you want to get away from the city it is ideal and a regular train to the centre is only a 10 minute walk away. Many backpapers stay there for this reason.

We booked a double room, which actually meant we got a dorm but to ourselves. Rooms are basic, no air conditioning which in Brisbane is a killer and the blinds did fall down on both windows! The main thing though was it was secure and clean.

I wouldn't say the hostel itself is great value (if you want a private room) but then nothing really is in Oz because it is one hell of an expensive place. It was however comparable with all other hostels. The drinks and meal deals they offer to backpapers in the adjoining restaurant are great value though and plenty of choice. You can get a steak for $10 which in Oz is absolutely great value. The restaurant /bar is a nice place to chill out in the evening.

The main reason for going here is for great access to Moreton Bay, which is amazing. Sadly we only went for a day trip but if you have the time stay longer is is a stunning place. I have not been to Frazier island to compare but I hear it is as good only smaller with less people.

All in all it suited our needs but I'd shop around. It may be a bit cheaper than staying in Brisbane but if you build in the commuting costs into the centre then not really. In actual fact most excursions you book leave from Brisbane so you still have to get there for them.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple