“Affordable accommodation”

Ranked #72 of 157 Hotels in Brisbane
Adelaide, Australia
“Affordable accommodation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

I recently was on a holiday with my family and chose this place (I booked the Three bedroom Villa) to stay as it could accommodate all seven of us. There is a good sized kitchen and the accommodation was good for a family (the bedrooms were comfortable). Something I realised was really useful was that the toilet is separated from the shower (so that someone else could go to the toilet when somebody is using the shower). The shower head was needed to be fixed as it did not stay upright, once you turn the tap the shower head starts to drop. Made taking a shower difficult! There is also a washing machine and dryer which were very handy.

There is a pool provided but it was too cold to swim during our stay. This villa is within walking distance to the train station and shops so it is very convenient.

One of the things I value at an accommodation is the level of service provided. When I checked in at the villa, the receptionist was very unfriendly and rude (what did I do to deserve this sort of treatment!). However the receptionist during check out was nice.

I left this place with mixed feelings. I would still recommend this place if you are looking for an affordable accommodation.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
ToowongVillas, Manager at Toowong Villas, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking time to review our complex.
We note your comment about the shower head. A call to reception would have had the shower repaired by our maintenance personnel immediately.
We take pride in having our apartments maintainance free.
We are suprised by your comments about our reception service. We have spoken to our receptionists and stressed the need to be polite and courteous regardless of circumstances.
It is appreciated you would still recommend us

Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Nanango, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

Staff treated me very well. Gave us an early check-in to attend wedding.Arranged a cab and all. Room and facilities were clean and adequate. We would recomend this place to our friends. We travelled from the country and found it easy to access . The covered parking is close by and well spaced. Shopping is close by for those who may need last minute supplies.

Room Tip: Speak to staff prior to booking
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
ToowongVillas, Manager at Toowong Villas, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review and your encouraging comments.
The Toowong Villas team is always prepared to assist guests with special requests where possible.
Your review has encouraged the team to continue to provide the best possible service to our guests.
Thank you again for your review.

Brisbane
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

The dryer started billowing smoke and toxic fumes at 9pm. Rang reception and was told turn off power and will sort out in morning. I explained politely that the fumes and smell was making us feel sick and dryer still a safety hazard as fumes were still wafting out even after power turned off. We were abused, well what do you want me to do about it. I was about to head out and look for furher accommodation, hwver After several attempts eventually we were given a spare room for the night. Unbelievabl experience. Won't ever stay here again.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Cat K
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review. We apologise your stay was interupted by this incident.
As we attempted to explain that evening it was not possible to have the Health Dept or a tradesperson attend the incident at that time of the night as you requested. We attempted to resolve the immediate issue by relocating you and your family to another apartment.
We also kept our promise by havinng our maintenance engineer attend immediately on commencing work the following morning. A new clothes dryer was installed that morning ready for your use while you continued your stay.
The Toowong Villas team is dedicated to ensuring guests enjoy their stay with us. All issues are dealt with as quickly as possible with due efficiency.
As we expressed earlier we regret our efforts to resolve your issue did not match your expectations.
We trust the remainder of your stay with us meet your expectations.
We thank for your comments

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

We were allocatd a 3 bedroom apartment on the third floor above a main road. First impressions were poor.. noisy, stained blankets, holes in the lampshade, table on the balcony bent and rusted, graffiti on one of the sofas.
Two days into our stay we had a terrible experience with one of the other guests which was handled very badly by the staff. My partner, a friend and I were sitting at the table in the dining area when we heard a man calling out, heavy breathing and other unmentionable behaviour through the vent above the dining area! We contacted the manager promptly, who said she thought someone was in our roof space. We wanted to call the police, given the lurid nature of what the man had said... she said not to, as the police would not be interested. As it was about 9pm she said she would block up the vent and sort it out in the morning. She returned 15 minutes later, with a manilla folder and some sticky tape! I protested at the time believing someone was in the roof and that there was clearly a security issue. My partner and I, my two teenage girls and my 20 year old son locked ourselves in our rooms that night.
In the morning I did phone the local police, who said it was too late to do anything and that we should have called them at the time. We went down to the office and stated we had not slept all night, and asked if we could have the contact details of the owners of the Villas. The managers refused to give us the owners details. They intimated that they had not believed our claims from the previous night, the conversation got heated and the manager was shouting at us and pointing his finger at us! They refused to refund us our stay and allow us to move to another hotel. Eventually they agreed to move us to another apartment but declined to help us with our luggage. We lost a day of our holiday.
We subsequently found out, from a kindly maintenance man, that the voice had come from a resident in the apartment below. He had stood on a chair and put it mouth close to the vent and the voice had carried up to our apartment. You could hear everything said between the two apartments!
Whilst it is not reasonable to hold the hotel responsible for other guests behaviour, frankly I was appalled at the way the managers handled the situation. To not believe us was really insulting. I am really surprised that they had no idea of the layout of the vents in the first place. To advise us not to call the police was clearly an effort to protect their reputation. To then shout at us when we tried to get details of the owners was really rude, and certainly showed no consideration for what we had just experienced.
On my return to the UK I contacted my credit card company, to see if I could get some refund on our stay and it appears that the payment for our stay had been deducted from our card on the first day we were there, so they had no ability to withhold payment. I think that explains their reluctance to let us have our money back. We paid $1200 AUD for the 5 days, which I would not consider value for money. I believe there was a contract for oil/mining workers and I wonder if this is now the standard of guests that they feel is lucrative, not really caring about visitors anymore.
I am still unable to contact Mr Sam Charlton, whom I believe runs the Charlton Hotel Group, a family owned business in Australia. If anyone knows his contact details I would love to speak to him.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Susan C
ToowongVillas, Manager at Toowong Villas, responded to this review, September 23, 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review and we are sorry your stay was not as expected. We appreciate your comment on our property.

We endevour to provide an accurate and fair representation of the accommodation to ensure that what is advertised is consistent with the guests experience. It is regrettable that the efforts in achieving this have not satisified your expectations.

In response to your comments we do not have any person living in the roof as suggested. Entry to the roof space is not accessible by guests and is quite secure. At the time of the incident, the involvement of the police was not seen as necessary and has been supported given that the noise heard was simply another guest. The vent contributing to the issue was required by the building regulations at the time of construction and we have never had any issues of noise with your experience being the first. We are investigating the idea of modifying the ceiling and blocking off the vents should that be an option within the restrictions of the building code.

In our management experience in the accommodation industry in Australia and overseas, payment is upon arrival as standard. I have discussed this with the Accommodation Association of Australia who verifies this is an acceptable and often implimented procedure. Incidental expenses are paid on departure.

Our team puts maximum effort into ensuring all guests enjoy their stay with us and any issues are resolved efficiently, effectivelyy and to the guest satisfaction wherever possible. Again it is regrettable that these efforts have not been to your satisfaction however we appreciate the additional experience in meeting our goals as proffessional hosts.

We hope the remainder of your stay in Australia was successful and we thank you for your review.

London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

Basic apartment. Clean. Toilet started leaking during our stay. A little out of the way from the city centre. Decor a little dated. Ok for an over night stay. Staff at reception were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
hereford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

Stayed here for 4 nights in August. Rooms are reasonably equipped and comfortable. They are well positioned and close to transport into the city. Main complaint was that they are poorly sound proofed and any noise from adjoining apartemnts above and next door were clear to hear. That apart, it was a good stay

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

We have stayed here several times, and its always terrific. The 1BR apartments are clean and tidy and have everything you need for a couple or family. I have stayed here for work (at UQ down the road) and for a holiday. It has TWO great pools, so there is almost always plenty of time and space to have a swim. The gardens are lovely, the BBQ area is great for a casual meal, and its all very close to Toowong shops, with takeaway, a shopping centre and Kmart. The walk is up a small hill - you will remember this hill in the Qld heat and humidity - but this is a terrific place to stay. Everytime we come to Brissy,our son only wants to know if we are "staying in the place with the two pools". Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Off the ground floor is better and has a view, although you need to be able to carry your suitcases...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brisbane
Toowong Inn & Suites
Chasely Apartments Brisbane
Chasely Apartments Brisbane
#140 of 157 in Brisbane
Toowong Central Motel Apartments

Been to Toowong Villas? Share your experiences!