“Might have been unlucky”

Econolodge City Palms Brisbane
Ranked #159 of 169 Hotels in Brisbane
Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at City Palms for two nights. The rooms are nice for the price and facilities are good. I had no issue with the manager like some reviews. They held my bag before check in which was a big bonus!

My issues though
- Not a big one, but terrible pillows!
- My biggest issue was noises. The walls are paper thin. 8am and I could hear screaming children, parents and either a couple having some 'morning fun' or moaning in agony. You can hear anytime someone has a shower and the previous night a man literally sung as loud as he could for half an hour straight as I tried to quietly watch TV.
I don't usually care about noise but being able to hear the insides of everyone in my corridors rooms is kind of terrible...
-Cutlery draws are kind if dirty, felt I had to wash everything even if it looked clean.
-The free Wifi disconnects and stops working constantly

Pros
-Cheap
-Ironing board, toaster, microwave
-Foxtel Premiere Channel (and sports if you're into that)

I'd only recommend this place if it's a quick in/out visit with no interest in privacy or comfort

• Stayed: November 2013
3  Thank nkbswe5

Reviewed September 9, 2013

After glowing reviews I have written on this motel, I called to make a booking the other day and found that the previous managers were no longer there. The guy who answered the phone was rude and speaking over me and not listening to what I was asking him. The rate he quoted me was more expensive that what was offered on wotif. When I asked him to look into the system to see the regular room my partner and I always stayed in he didn't know. I explained to him where the room was situated on what floor etc and he was rude and couldn't help. From this experience i was very disappointed and decided to not go ahead with booking further and decided if this was the attitude and rudeness I received over the phone We no longer will be staying there again. So we have found alternative accom.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ross E
Reviewed September 3, 2013

The location was great as it was walking distance to Brisbane Royal Show which I had to attend and offered at an additional fee secure parking. Walking distance valley for great food at China Town but thats were it ended..
The room was very average, very dated, the bathroom was small and is in desperate need of a re vamp, the room itself was light but had a horrible musty smell, even tried to air it out but no luck it still smelt terrible.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We stayed here during the Brizzy show Ekka week and it was the only place in the city that had a reasonably priced room available with a guaranteed car park space on the nights we needed.
If you don't expect luxury then you won't be unhappy, very good value compared to the nearest alternatives.
Was an easy walk into the valley to eat out and catch the train to get into central for shopping, this allowed us to leave the car locked up in the secure parking area for the duration of our stay, just what we needed.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Noosa_Qld
Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

Great location, however thats where the good ends, Upon arrival we were charged $150 for a "deposit incase we destroyed Our Room". We had already paid for the room in full and The receptionist was incredibly rude and unfriendly. We werent told about this deposit prior and the money wasnt refunded for over a month.Terrible service by grumpy employees, rooms were tiny, very very very overpriced for what it is, you can do better in the valley!

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank AussieJake
Reviewed July 13, 2013

I stayed here with my partner for about 8days and we had a good stay here and the rooms were nice and clean. The staff were friendly and the room service staff particularly were very helpful and polite. Although we wished that they would actually vacuum the room at least one or twice while we were there.The bathroom was a bit small but basic kitchen facilities and tv in the room was a plus. We found the location to be perfect - short distance walk into the city. Our room was just next to the main door which was the smokers spot and this was a bit uncomfortable as the smoke would enter the room. Also it was a bit cold and the rooms didnt have reverse air conditioning cycles or heater. Apart from this the place is ideal and definitely will stay here if we make a trip to Brisbane again. It is a good value for money.

Room Tip: The rooms closer to the main door can be uncomfortable for non-smokers as the smoking spot is locate...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Shabina29
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We personally thought it was a decent place, had a nice check in with the manager. Found it to be decent value for money. First impressions of the motel were good, with the nice leafy palmed outdoor area with spa pool and BBQ. The room is nice enough and has a comfy bed and foxtel tv with an adequate kitchenette and cutlery/plates. Washing facilities on site were ok. Maybe another washing machine wouldn't go amiss. It's about a 10-15 minute walk into the city centre. Maybe 25-30 minutes from south bank at an easy pace. Only gripe with the place was the loud knocking of the cleaner in the mornings. And the walls are a little bit thin so you hear quite a bit when your neighbours are up and about during the night/morning. Despite this, we would stay again as we had a nice experience at City Palms.

• Stayed: July 2013