“DIsgracefull”

Ranked #144 of 157 Hotels in Brisbane
Australia
“DIsgracefull”
Reviewed April 21, 2008

This place is a dump - nothing like the pics on the internet. I did not even stay there because the smell of mould cause a severe asthma attack. They should be closed.

• Liked — Nothing.
  • Disliked — The smell! Moudly spoors everywhere.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank MarbelAustralia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Korean first
glastonbury
Reviewed August 27, 2007

Booked this by accident online - wish I was paying more attention.
When booked this they didn't say I was getting a budget room.
Boy! was it budget the room it was absolute filth and spelt damp and musty very tiny just about fitted the double bed in.
There was an interconnecting door to our room which had been locked but there was a hole in it.... to stop people peeping it had been blocked with toilet roll.
The shower room was adequate but obviously the cleaner had a day off it had pubic hair on the floor.
The ceiling of the room had a giant hole in it, the hotel had obviously tried to patch this up...with a piece of MDF screwed to the ceiling but this was also half hanging off.
To top our nighmare we had some kind of teenage party jumping up and down all night that when I informed the new night manager, he replied that he thought they where also going to come through the ceiling, but he never done anything about this.
After I complained he did move us to a supposedly up graded room (mm mm) when then had a couple very loudly copulating in the opposite room the rooms were so thin you could hear everyone's antics. We decided we needed to get out of the room anf find somewhere to eat, do not attempt this. It is in a very sleazy and dangerous part of town that I was unaware of this till the taxi driver informed me. It's a strip joint paradise.
In the end we found it unsafe to carry on walking round this area and went back to the room to order a takeaway instead.
By the time this arrived the hotel was in full swing with people running up and down the corridor, that in the end I couldn't put up with it and telephoned another hotel called the medina(absolute Bliss with Spa) Highly recommended and reasonable for what it is absolute class.
The New night manager(Very Pleasant)I actually felt really sorry for him as he obviously didn't have a clue of what he had taken on. He kindly refunded my money back even though he wasn't supposed to but he agreed he didn't blame me for leaving.
I wouldn't advise anyone to go here ever.

• Liked — Absolute Nothing I've never had such a bad experience
  • Disliked — Cleanliness, No reception after 9.00 or out of hours service. location, and Noise of thinness of wall
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank monkeytennis

Travelers are raving about these Brisbane hotels

Gympie, QLD
Reviewed June 30, 2007

Arrived for check in, service was a bit lax, not the friendliest hosts.
Room was clean but incredibly bland, for what I believed, was excess for the quality.
Only stayed the one night, the beds were uncomfortable but bearable. Didn't get to sleep til late due to a hens party with stripper in next building (also part of the hotel). And was woken up at 5am with a couple copulating outside our window.
Went to check out at 8.30 but the office was unattended, knocked and rang bell and then went back to the room to call from a different line. Still no answer.
Returned to the office where another guest was also waiting to check out. We eventually handed our keys to the cleaners, so in the end weren't too impressed with our stay, fortunately it was only overnight.
There is another hotel around the corner, only about 50m away. Try this one instead.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank Merinda
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed April 22, 2007

I stayed with City Palms Motel for one night in September 2006, and if I had been booked for longer, I would have changed hotel.

The reception staff member was friendly, but didn't show me to my room, and it was a bit of a nightmare finding my own way to it through the maze of corridors and doorways that this lodging is made up of.

My bedroom was amazingly shabby (carpet pulling back, tiny shower, faded bedspread, tatty curtains) - it looked more like something from a bad horror movie than the attractive pictures featured on the hotels website! There was also a wobbly door that was between my room and the room next to mine - one would hope that the next door neighbour doesn't know how to pick locks!

I didn't pay a lot for the room, but I really expected better than this. The highlight of the stay was when my luggage was held for me for a day after I checked out - but that's hardly an uncommon service, so even that didn't redeem the motel for me.

I would never stay there again, and would discourage others from staying there, when for similar money you can get much, MUCH nicer accomodation.

• Liked — Location - it's in the heart of Fortitude Valley so handy for the bar scene
  • Disliked — Basically everything.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled solo
1 Thank kelliebean
Glasgow
Reviewed April 20, 2006

Stayed at the City Palms for 8 nights. Great value for money.
Accommodation is on a self catering basis, and the room is equipped with a small kitchen. We ate out in the evenings, but had everything we needed to cook breakfast in the room. Rooms are a good size, and most importantly, are clean. Bathrooms the same. Walking distance to shopping areas. Didn't think much of the location when I first arrived, but considering you spend most of the time outdoors when in Oz, this place makes a great base. Hotel has BBQ and washing facilities. Many rooms have small balconies but I think you need to request these rooms. Only downside - no pool, but the beach isn't too far away. Would stay here again. One tip if visiting Brisbane - go to Stradbroke Island.

• Stayed January 2002
1 Thank jonesporteous
vancouver, canada
Reviewed April 8, 2006

i liked it. it wasn't too expensive and the place i thought looked great. the best thing was it was close to the valley and a bottle shop. would recommend and stay there again.
thanks