“Firmly four star”

Ranked #33 of 157 Hotels in Brisbane
Queensland, Australia
“Firmly four star”
Reviewed February 14, 2011

Stayed at Rydges because of its proximity to QPAC and on that the hotel absolutely delivered. It is reviewed as a four star hotel and having stayed in much better four star hotels I'd say it's 4 with a bullet! The bed was probably one of the worst I have ever slept in with one side very saggy. I felt as though it was going to collapse completely when I sat on it.

The standard of room maintenence was very average with a worn and tattered cover around the mattrress base.

But I think the thing that bothered me the most were the splatters and smears of dried blood - yes that's what I said! - on the bed side table. I couldn't believe it. Did no one notice this when the room was cleaned. EEeeeeew!!! Felt as though i was sleeping in a crime scene.

Although it was totally convenient regarding location I think that might have been just too much. Not sure I'd come back to this one.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank seaview088
FOM-RydgesSB, Front Office Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this review, February 21, 2011
Dear ‘Seaview088,’

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us. I’m concerned to read of your experience; I take great pride in ensuring our hotel in up to date, maintained clean and friendly and it is truly disappointing this occurred as described.

As a responsible management team we have procedures and policies in place to ensure situations like this do not occur; please feel free to email me directly at scott_levey@rydges.com so that I can follow this internally.

Again thank you for the review; I truly hope to welcome you back to Rydges South Bank Brisbane in the future.

Scott Levey – Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (654)
Townsville, Australia
Reviewed February 9, 2011

I stayed here with two friends in one of the king suites for one of their birthdays. Considering how much we paid for the room we were disappointed. Its in a good location. The room looked AMAZING but the bed was like sleeping on a rock. We called the front desk for ice but had to call them a further 4 times as they kept forgetting. Check out was horrible, we were charged for an in house movie and mini bar we didn't use and the woman at the front desk was very rude and unhelpful. I have stayed in quite a number of different Rydges hotels and they have all been fabulous, however, this one was simply horrible.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank HolidayCouple11
Dear ‘HolidayCouple11,’

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us. It’s disappointing to read of your overall stay; we do take great pride in our product, services and customer service and work very hard at ensuring high levels are consistently maintained.

I apologise for the billing concerns and the relating service issue which followed; I’m pleased to announce the hotel is about to commence a roll-out of “Rydges Dream Bed’s” which will inevitably ensure a comfortable night sleep for all guests once complete.

Thank you again for the review; I truly hope to welcome you back to Rydges South Bank Brisbane in the future.

KL
Reviewed February 6, 2011

I paid cash for the hotel charges and immediately found out abt the mistake charge for the minibar which I did not consume , was refund by card (not cash)by their front desk officer, Anna , reluctantly, without a smile , have the please don't come back look in her face!the rest
Of the receptionists are mostly
friendly!

The breakfast is adequate and the pancake machine is awesome , fabulous pancake!!!!!!

The bathroom is a 3 star to me , hotel room is 3.5 star!not really a family hotel, as no swimming pool !
I regretted not staying near the queenstreet!I was told by the concierge it was a aud20cab fare to queenstreet , but turns out to be 10-11, wrong info from the concierge! A nice walk in the evening from
Southbank parkland to queens street
Valet parking is efficient and convenient !

• Stayed February 2011
1 Thank Marcs-Y
FOM-RydgesSB, Front Office Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this review, February 9, 2011
Dear ‘Marcs-Y,’

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us. As a passionate hotelier it is disappointing to hear of any portion of a guest’s stay being disappointing; I apologise for the billing concerns and the poor service as noted. I also have noted the pricing concern with the taxi transfer, we do typically quote with the ‘worst case’ traffic in mind which would explain the difference.

I’m glad to hear of the positive note from the onsite buffet breakfast.

Again thank you for taking the time to review your stay; I hope to welcome you back to Rydges South Bank Brisbane in the future.

Germany
Reviewed January 30, 2011

Arrived at the hotel after a too long flight from Europe at around 08:30 in the morning and got told that all rooms are occupied and there wasn't anything ready for me. However, I before the first frustration came I was offered a free breakfast first and the room would be ready approx. 2hrs later. Things worked out well. I booked this hotel because it's very close to the conference center. Perfect fit for me but also South Bank Park, the city centre, and important museums are really close. As my flight back home left late in the evening I asked for an extended check-out which was granted until 14:30 after a longer discussion. However, I still would recommend this hotel not only for business travellers.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
FOM-RydgesSB, Front Office Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this review, January 31, 2011
Dear ‘Nasemann,’

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us. I’m glad to hear of your positive experiences with us whilst in Brisbane. I appreciate that the hotel attempted to flex as much as possible with your early arrival and late departure to suit your travel arrangements. We are definitely located in an enviable position; being in the heart of Brisbane’s cultural precinct definitely allows our clients to experience the best of the city within a short stroll.

Thanks again for the review; we look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges South Bank Brisbane ion your next travels to our wonderful city.

Melbourne
Reviewed January 25, 2011

Great location in Southbank. Lots of great places close by to eat. Check in very friendly and comfy beds. Good deal including breakfast.

• Stayed January 2011
Dear ‘aus_isis,’

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us.

I’m glad you were able to take advantage of one of our accommodation package specials and that you liked the location and venue.

Thanks again for the review; we look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges South Bank Brisbane in the future.

Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 21, 2011

Arrived in Brisbane after long haul flight. Staff very matter of fact but omitted to inform us of where hotel breakfast was. Paying $300 plus taxes had to pay extra $50 for breakfast next morning as we went to wrong restaurant.

There is no pool in hotel. Nearby man made beach is more than 400 m away across main road. So not ideal when kids not independent of adult care. No other entertainment for kids offered.

Used telephone to call local mobile. 18 min call cost more than $60.

Inaccurate reviews on the net led to choice of hotel. Don't get me wrong it is a good hotel for the no frills business traveller with a great location but as far as a young family friendly hotel is concerned we did not feel it was. Expected much more of a hotel charging such tariffs. Was due go back but cancelled at check out after our experience

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Dear ‘NMahendran,’

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us.

It’s disappointing to hear whenever a guest’s stay doesn’t meet their expectations and I apologise that this was the case.

We do at all times attempt to appeal and provide suitable accommodation to guests of all walks of life within the services and product we provide coupled with the precinct’s benefits we are located in.

Thanks again for the review; I hope the remainder of your Queensland vacation lived up to your expectations.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 18, 2011

Stayed for 1 night in November as a presenter at a conference at the Convention Centre.

They have a bar downstairs which provided reasonable service and atmosphere if you do not wish to walk to Southbank which is on the doorstep. Southbank itself provides more than enough additional bars and restaurant to make this hotel a good base to explore this area. It is a pleasant walk across the bridge to venture into the CBD and the Casino area.

Room was comfortable and functional without providing a wow factor. For the 1 night I was there it was more than adequate. Check in/out was friendly, efficient and with a smile - although I did check in at a quiet time. It looked a little more chaotic (but still in control) in the evening as the rush built for the evening event at the centre.

Overall couldn’t fault it for anything that I needed. If you are using the Convention Centre then it is literally next door which makes it very handy.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
FOM-RydgesSB, Front Office Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this review, January 20, 2011
Dear ‘Essexboy999,’

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us. Thank you for choosing to stay with us whilst presenting at the Convention Centre, being the closest hotel does make us an extremely convenient option for anyone attending and event at this venue. I’m glad to hear that overall you enjoyed the precinct and the hotel and that we were able to make your stay as worry free as possible.