“Great location and friendly staff”

Rydges South Bank Brisbane
Ranked #35 of 168 Hotels in Brisbane
Reviewed June 17, 2010

South Bank has lots to do from the Gallery of Modern Art to QPAC to the many lovely cafes and bars

The bell boys on arrival were outstanding and the check in quick and effcient.

Breakfast is really good with lots if choice. Best coffee in Australia.

I will be back next time I am in town on business.

1  Thank Ozybizman
Callum_Kennedy, Executive Assistant Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2010

Thanks for the feedback “Ozybizman”

We do have great coffee from “di Manfredi coffee” so appreciate that you enjoyed it!

Thank you for your comments regarding the concierge team at the hotel; the welcome is such an important aspect of our day to day successes.

I look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in town.

Regards

Callum Kennedy
Executive Assistant Manager

Reviewed June 17, 2010

After having spent a night on a train, my husband and I arrived at the Rydges hotel in South Bank feeling a bit worse for being tired and wanting a good shower. There is nothing as welcoming as a smile when you feel not at your best after a journey and from the first contact at the front desk everyone was very helpful - always with a smile.
We were on the 10th floor. Our room was roomy and furnished with taste with big windows and we took some good photos of both the early morning sun and late evening city lights. Lolling in the comfortable bed watching the changing light of the early morning was a pleasure.
The location of the hotel is excellent. So near the river and the many venues along it, not to mention the Friday night market with its street player.
All in all we really enjoyed our stay, even if it was a short one.
We especially appreciated the buffet breakfast that Rydges offers to their Priority Guest Seniors Card holders. It was a really reallly lovely breakfast and we can't wait to try their restaurant for dinner.
We also learned that there is jazz being played at the Rydges on Saturday evenings.
So we will surely return.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RItavi

Thanks for the review “RItavi”

It is pleasing that you took advantage of the “Rydges Seniors Card” – some great benefits!

Thank you for your comments regarding the staff and the welcome you received, it is such an important part of our business and I am delighted all went well for you.

The “Rydges Dream Beds” are fantastic and ensure a good nights sleep; should wish to ever own your own they are available for purchase on our website.

I do hope we have the opportunity to entertain you at our seafood buffet in the future and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in due course.

Kind regards

Callum Kennedy
Executive Assistant Manager

Reviewed June 10, 2010

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights in May.

The hotel is a bit buisness like and does not have many redeeming qualities. reception were not overly helpful with tourist questions and didnt seem to know the answer to anything.

the rooms were fairly big and spacious and clean. the hotel is in a good location right on the southbank and next to the pub and restaurants and cinema.

the internet charges are an absolute joke, go and find an internet cafe and have a coffee plus net for cheaper.

the hotel wasn't average and wasn't very good but in between.

If we were to go to brisbane again (which we wouldnt - its a bit dull) we would stay somewhere else.

Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
FOM-RydgesSB, Front Office Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2010

Dear ‘goldcardsoul,’

Thank you for reviewing the Hotel.

It’s disappointing to hear of your ‘hum-har’ recent experience with us. We do try to provide a very positive atmosphere, memorable experiences and cater to all guests requirements; that being business, conference or leisure. Whilst we have recently being rebuilding our team, I do apologise that reception wasn’t helpful as we always roster a senior team member around to assist with requests.

Again, thank you for reviewing your experience; it is only through feedback that the hotel can improve and move forward with more positive experiences for all.

Reviewed June 8, 2010

from the minute i drove up the staff were excellent, very attentive and helped me with everything. Katie behind the reception desk was particularly great, as i was on my own i needed some help getting ready for a black tie function and she went above and beyond the call of duty to make sure i was happy & relaxed. Rooms were clean and comfortable, good location close to southbank with markets and shops and very close to the convention centre.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
FOM-RydgesSB, Front Office Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2010

Dear ‘kyliebMelbourne,’

Many thanks for taking the time to review the hotel. It’s a real pleasure to hear of your experiences; our team takes great pride in our levels of service and product and this has been echoed through your stay.

Thanks again; we look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back should a need arise.

Reviewed June 8, 2010

In my opinion, this hotel is set up with one purpose in mind, to use up as much of a business persons expense account as they can. Everything here is crazily overpriced for the service they provide, and this is obviously due to their visitors being predominantly there on business due to the convention centre next door.

For example, the internet connection is $29 per day. This is ridiculously expensive. And not only that the connection in the room i had was so poor it was barely usable at times. Basic web pages took minutes to load and normal (no attachment) emails also took forever. It was absolutely appalling for the price that they make you pay. It is an essential part of my business, as with most people these days, to be online so I had no choice and it was very very frustrating.

I don't want to be all negative... The service from the front desk and concierge people was fine. Very pleasant and helpful. The hotel itself is quite bland and dated but comfortable enough and the rooms are a decent size and very clean. The bathroom was small and my shower was a bit old and cracked, but overall it wasn't bad.

However the above did not make up for the general feeling of being ripped off so I will not be staying at Rydges South Bank again.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Andrew J

Dear ‘dundermifflin2010,’

Thank you for reviewing the Hotel.

I’m disappointed to hear you feel that the hotel’s facilities were overpriced and poor; we do strive to deliver the best of facilities at realistic hotel prices. The hotel does offer packages whereby inclusions can be added into rates along with our very own ‘no cost ever’ rewards program called Rydges PriorityGUEST which offers fantastic discounts including internet, room rates and food and beverage.

It is great to hear of your positive interactions with the team and that you found that accommodation satisfactory.

Again, thank you for reviewing your experience; it is only through feedback that the hotel can improve and move forward to a more positive future for all.

Reviewed May 31, 2010

I recently spent four nights at the Rydges South Bank Brisbane for a work trip.

The hotel is clean and modern. Check in was prompt and professional. I had little need to interact with the hotel staff, but my dealings with them were efficient and pleasant.

The room I stayed in was clean and comfortable. It had a small kitchenette, which was handy. The decor was very generic for this hotel type (tasteful but bland), but I had a (slightly obstructed) view from my balcony over to the Ferris wheel and the city.

My only gripe - and it is minor - is that the walls aren't the thickest. Being able to hear my neighbour's mobile ringing or playing music wasn't great, but I'm sure my work calls (late at night to time differences) weren't endearing to them either!

The beds were good to sleep in and the showers were hot with good water pressure - the two things that keep me happy when I'm away from home.

The location can't be faulted. South Bank is a short walk along with the fantastic restaurants and bars that it has. The city centre is also a 10-15 minute walk away as are the museums and art galleries. The ferries/cats are about a five minute walk away.

The breakfast at the hotel was nice but overpriced. If I'd had to pay for it out of my own pocket, I wouldn't have done so!

It's very obviously a hotel used by many companies as a preferred supplier and it suits its purpose well. I would recommend it (for leisure travellers as well) and enjoyed my time there.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business

Dear ‘FloggerLiverpool,’

Many thanks for taking the time to review the hotel. We’re glad that you enjoyed your time at the hotel; the rooms, staff interaction, South Bank, the beds and our hot showers.

Thank you for making us aware of the noise transference issue, this has been passed onto the respective team members for follow up. With regards to breakfast, we have recently extended our café to now also supply a range of a-la-carte breakfast options 7 days a week; allowing for all budgets and appetites to be accommodated.

Again, thanks again for the review; should the need arise we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed May 29, 2010

i booked into this hotel because of a business meeting being held there, and as I'm unfamiliar with Brisbane city, I wanted to reduce the hassle of finding my way around. At over $285 for the room only, I thought it a tad expensive and would not have paid that much normally. Parking was an additional $24 for the night. The room was nice, I must admit. Sleek, clean and spacious. At around 6.30pm I thought about dinner, and looked for a room service menu. There wasn't one in the room. I rang room service and they said they'd send one up in 10 minutes. 30 minutes later, no menu, so I rang them back and was told that it should have arrived and they'd get one up to me straight away. 30 minutes later, still no menu. I called room service. No answer. I called again 5 minutes later and asked where the menu was. I was informed it should have been there and they'd get it to me straight away. I complained that my first call to request a menu was made over an hour before, and I was put through the duty manager. I explained the situation, and he offered me my dinner on the house, which was generous. Another 10 minutes passed before I got the menu. It was now 8pm. I ordered my dinner and it arrived at about 8.40pm. Luckily there was a microwave in my room as the meal wasn't hot. But, there was a complimentary glass of wine included. The meal was tasty, regardless, though the dessert hadn't thawed completely (........disappointing, but not unexpected). I was now on edge when in fact I should have been relaxed and settling down for the night. I had an important meeting the next day and wanted a good sleep. I requested a quiet room when I made the booking. Unfortunately, all night I heard the sound of what I believe were the lift mechanisms going up and down. Either that or it was some airconditioning machinery. Whatever it was, it was repetitive and kept me awake well into the early hours. At checkout, reception tried to charge me for the dinner from the previous night until I advised them that is was supposed to be complimentary. On the whole - I was disappointed with this hotel. Service was sloppy. Food was tasty but overpriced and not up to standard for what I had expected. I appreciate the complimentary dinner, but I'd have preferred better service to start with. And what the hell was that noise all night? Sorry guys - I won't be rushing back to stay here.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business