“Next door to Convention Center...for "conference" otherwise find somewhere else to stay when in Brisbane”

Rydges South Bank Brisbane
Ranked #35 of 169 Hotels in Brisbane
Reviewed May 11, 2010

I have stayed 'regularly' (over 5 times) when I am attending conferences in Brisbane. The rooms are clean, large -2 double beds -but as I am usually alone, this is not really a benefit!! The facilities of fridge & microwave will suit a traveling family but of no use to me also. The Internet rates are ridiculous (considering many places in the world this is "free"). Front Desk service is inconsistent -just do not queue up at 'peak hours'! There is a single daily room service so this can be annoying if you want the room made up. Breakfast (if included in your package) is 'edible' but going nearby is definitely better value. I vow to avoid it every time I have to attend conferences (at the Convention Center -next door) but it main attraction is the convenience. The recent time, i stayed elsewhere, took the River Cat and walk to the CC... healthier and better choice!
Overall decor has been improved but it is still a 'tired' business hotel... nothing like the newer 'W' Hotel chains... maybe then it will be worthwhile.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
Callum_Kennedy, Executive Assistant Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2010

Dear “J&J-HFV”

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay and conference at the Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Centre.

It was disappointing read your comments regarding the inconsistencies from the Front Desk team and would like to take this opportunity to apologise for any inconvenience caused; and also to ensure you that your comments have been addressed with the team.

With regards to your comments regarding our housekeeping services I would like to advise you that we have housekeeping on site 24 hours a day, so in the future should you require additional services please so not hesitate to ask.

Again I would like to thank you for your constructive feedback and please do not hesitate to contact me direct for any future accommodation requirements you may have in Brisbane.

Many thanks

Executive Assistant Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,197)

Reviewed April 24, 2010

I don't know what I expected from this Hotel but I somehow felt a bit dissapointed My husband was quite happy with it and there wasn't anything bad about it really. I just think I was expecting the facilities to be a bit grander. I did complain to reception as we left about the fridge in the room [there was also a microwave] it had a really noisy motor which kept me awake as it got louder in the night.
On the plus side it is very central,if going in by train get off at South Brisbane, the stop before Southbank and it is not so far to walk.
Lots of cafe's and restaurants nearby and we really liked Brisbane. We had been told it was a boring place but for two nights we found it really nice.The man-made beach and pool in the center was great,it made me wish my grandchildren were with me.There was also a market but I don't know if it is there normally as this was Easter weekend.
We didn't eat at the hotel as breakfast was very expensive,a large wedding party staying at the hotel obviously thought the same as us and were having breakfast where we were at a nearby 'Crepery' that did really good breakfasts at a reasonable price.
Another tip is to take the river Citycat as it is really cheap and smooth and we spent quite a while on there each day as it was a good,relaxing way to see the City.
I booked the Rydges Southbank on Expedia before we left for Australia and it was good enough for the price.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
FOM-RydgesSB, Front Office Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2010

Dear ‘worzelle,’

Thank you for reviewing your recent experience at Rydges South Bank Brisbane. I’m sorry to hear the hotel didn’t wow you; we do attempt to provide great experiences, not just acceptable, and it is disappointing to hear we didn’t reach this for you.

We are blessed with a fantastic location here in South Bank; the precinct offers many great experiences whilst being centrally located, offering ease of transfer and a perfect gateway to the city as a whole. The hotel has recently experimented with café style breakfasts at our CBD Café & Bar 7 days a week; this offers a less expensive and more customised menu that the traditional full buffet style breakfasts.

Many thanks for sharing your point of view; I hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed April 19, 2010

Hotel was booked direct on the Rydges website, the deal included breakfast & free parking - so a great deal. The room was very spacious and well appointed with two double beds plus a 3 seater couch and chair - so very roomy. Lovely outlook over Southbank, the Brisbane River and the CBD. Is very central to bars, restaruants, cinema and Southbanks attractions. The staff were friendly and very efficient, check in and check out done in a matter of minutes. Highly recommend this hotel and will definately stay there again when in Brisbane.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple

Dear ‘DoryBlue,’

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Rydges South Bank Brisbane. I’m glad you were able to take advantage of our Easter & Anzac Day special; the package definitely proved popular with many guests and was a very good deal. The hotel’s view rooms offer a great vantage point overlooking the popular South Bank precinct; being located close to so many local amenities is also a great draw card.

Many thanks again for the review; I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed April 19, 2010

I travel a lot for business so it would be fair to say I stay in a lot of hotels. Have also stayed in my fair share of Rydges around australia, but South Bank Rydges is by far the best. From the staff to the food to the location - everything was above and beyond what I expected.
Absolutely recommend Rydges South Bank!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Beaglesruleoz

Dear ‘Beaglesruleoz,’

Thank you for kind words regarding your recent experience at Rydges South Bank Brisbane. The team as a whole takes great pride in our product, attention to detail and customer service; it is great to that this pride was echoed through your stay and subsequent positive experience.

Many thanks again; I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed April 12, 2010

Situated in an agreeable part of the city, adjacent to the theatre and just across the road from the park and river.
Reception was speedy and welcoming.
De luxe twin was quiet and comfortable, with a fine of the Brisbane 'eye' and the river.
Seafood buffet was excellent, and accompanied by live 'jazz'. Breakfast good too.
The hotel had a pavement level bar, which was busy and bustling, and a cheap DIY laundry.
Valet parking was straightforward and reasonably priced.
All the staff were friendly and eager to help.
All in all, a good hotel.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ornsay
Callum_Kennedy, Executive Assistant Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2010

It was pleasing to read that you enjoyed our seafood buffet and the jazz; Wiley Reed and his Jazz Band play in Parklands Restaurant every Saturday night.

I do hope you enjoy your stay in Australia and hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel sometime in the future.

Kind regards

Reviewed April 6, 2010

Just returned from a 2 night stay at Rydges . Booked on their website and got a great Easter deal that included buffet breakfast , valet parking a late check out till 1.00pm. We had a Deluxe Twin River View room which was perfect for 2 adults and 2 kids ( 5 and 8 ) .
The room was large and had two double beds , a small kitchenette area , table and 2 chairs plus a lounge and desk ! We had a decent size balcony with views over the River and into the city. The bathroom wasnt flash but clean and functional , if a little small.

Had a " welcome back " drink and some wedges at the CBD bar on ground level and had the buffet breakfast both mornings. The 1st morning there was a wedding party in and the place was packed ! Had to wait 10 minutes for a table , which was annoying with 2 young hungry kids , but once we settled in for breakfast the food made up for it !

Great buffet with all fruits , smoked salmon , museli etc . The normal yummy hot food and on the 2nd bfast a chef to make your eggs how you like them ! A pancake maker ( which the girls loved ! ) and other pastries galore. Really yummy !!
The Rydges is in a great location for exploring all that Southbank has to offer. Just a few minutes walk to the Musuem , Scientcentre and Art gallery in one direction and Streets Beach and the fantastic water park in the other direction. Heaps of cafes and great restaurants on Little Stanley st close by too.
We had a lovely time and the hotel was perfect for us. The staff were helpful and friendly and even though we had late check out , they still kept our car and luggage so the girls could have one more play at the water park !!
Thanks Rydges ! See you next year !!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Suzy7215

Thanks for the fantastic review”Suzy7215”

Glad the family had a great time at the hotel and that you enjoyed breakfast so much; the pancake machine is great, a real winner with the kids!

South Bank has so much to offer and is constantly developing its facilities so I look forward to welcoming you back next year.

Many thanks

Reviewed March 29, 2010

My mother and I stayed one night recently as a comped night after a bit of a disastrous stay 18 months ago. The hotel has totally redeemed itself in our eyes! They accommodated my request for early check in and i was able to spend the most part of the day relaxing in the room. The woman that checked me in was fantastic and beyond courteous. The location is fantastic and such a great place to base yourself while in Brisbane. We ate dinner and breakfast in the cafe downstairs and that was great as well. The beds are remarkably comfortable and the rooms really are very spacious. The balconies have wonderful views and are a great addition to the room. We will return when in Brisbane!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Mary L

It was pleasing to read that you gave us the opportunity to redeem ourselves from your unsatisfactory stay 18 months ago and more importantly you had a positive experience.

The views are stunning, especially at night, I don’t think there are better views in Brisbane!

It was great to read that you enjoyed our CBD café and bar especially as we have only recently opened it for breakfast; giving our guests a further option for that early morning meal.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in future.

Yours sincerely