“Great Staff who go the extra mile, great location”

Rydges South Bank Brisbane
Ranked #36 of 169 Hotels in Brisbane
Reviewed March 19, 2010

This is a great place to book for a weekend getaway. Close to the theatre and as it is right at Southbank, enjoy a leisurely stroll through the Sunday Markets. The view at night across the river and of the big wheel is just lovely.

Staff are fantastic and make everyone feel most welcome, I had mentioned how much I loved the amazing natural organic bathroom products and they arranged for some for me to take home. That was such a nice touch.

• Stayed: January 2010
2  Thank ozcc
Callum_Kennedy, Executive Assistant Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2010

Dear “ozcc”

Thank you for the kind review.

The markets are truly great and I am pleased you had the pleasure of experiencing them.

The hotel uses the Sanctum range of organic bathroom products throughout the hotel as well as Rydges Hotels & Resorts throughout Australia; a great quality product.

Your comments regarding the staff are really appreciated, so thank you.

Kind regards

Callum Kennedy
Executive Assistant Manager

Reviewed March 16, 2010

My partner and I stayed at the Rydges as an anniversary present from a good friend. We had a great time and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The staff went above and beyond with their service and even surprised us with a welcome platter with champaign and chocolates upon arrival to signify our special event. Apart from the service and amenities our highlight of the trip was the comfort of their dream beds and latex pillows, we literally had to go out and buy a new bed when we got home as we'd forgotten what a good nights sleep was :)

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank anitabonita99

Thanks for the great review “anitabonita99 “

Your comments regarding the team are greatly appreciated.

“Rydges Dream Beds” are fantastic and hope that your new bed is just as good!

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Kind regards

Callum Kennedy
Executive Assistant Manager

Reviewed March 5, 2010

Spent 1 night here last month after an unexpected incident and Rydges were the only hotel to have a room left! We were lucky enough to stay in one of the suites which was amazing, very spacious and with a lovely view over to the river.
The location of the hotel is very good, close to the river and a short walk over the bridge into the city centre.
Staff were fabulous, all very helpful and made a stressful night into a very pleasant one.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank MKblack1182
FOM-RydgesSB, Front Office Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2010

Dear ‘emmylou14,’

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. It’s great to hear of your memorable experiences with our staff, your room and of course the local precinct. Brisbane does indeed have a few days every year where the whole city fills up; I’m glad we were able to accommodate you accordingly.

Thanks again for the review; we look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges South Bank Brisbane in the future.

Reviewed March 2, 2010

I stayed at Rydges South Bank Brisbane with a friend on the weekend. It was the second time I've stayed in this hotel, I also stayed there last year with my partner.

The first time I stayed last year I booked under the city lights package with my partner for a romantic night away. We were greeted by a lovely staff member, there was a little confusion about our booking at first but it got cleared up very quickly by me presenting a copy of the receipt I'd printed off along with the package inclusions. The staff member seemed relunctant to give any of it to us, however as soon as what I assume was the senior staff member came over the problem disappeared and we were given an apology and all of our package inclusions. Despite the initial confusion, we went up to our room on a high note from their friendly demeanor and quick resolution of the problem.

Our room was amazing. It was a suite with a seperate lounge, balcony, bathroom and bedroom. There was a flat screen tv in both the bedroom and the lounge area. You could open the doors onto the balcony and let the breeze drift through, it was beautiful. The bathroom was impeccable, the toiletries provided smelled fruity and wonderful. And on our little table was a card addressed to me from the duty manager welcoming us to the hotel, thanking us for staying and providing us with her extension number should we need anything. I was blown away by this simple, yet personal touch.

As per our package (wine on arrival) within ten minutes of checking in a bottle of Killawarra wine was delivered to our suite with two wine glasses with strawberries in them. Generally I've found "on arrival" in most hotels to be whenever they feel like it, but at Rydges it really was ON arrival. I wish other hotels would take a lesson from Rydges on this.

Breakfast was also included in our package so the next morning we went down to a small, yet beautiful buffet breakfast. While I do say small, everything you need is there. Cereal, hot food like sausages and eggs, pastries (so yum) juice, tea, coffee, fresh fruit, even salmon. I can't recommend getting the breakfast there enough.

The second time I stayed with my friend I booked under the same package but with two double beds. I was surprised by how much nicer my previous room had been. The room was clean but the furnishings were all a little dated and worn, the bath was marked, the couch was just placed next to the beds as if this single thing made it a suite and sadly no welcome card which was the personal detail I'd loved so much.

The staff were lovely as usual, breakfast was once again of an impeccable standard, the wine included in our package was once again delivered to the room within ten minutes of checking in, but I found it hard to get over the quality of the room compared to the last one I'd stayed in. Having said that, it was still a lovely room, but just not as nice.

The elevators are old and slow, we actually got into a situation where we had to line up and wait to use the elevator. But the atmosphere was pretty jovial so it wasn't a down point to me. The hallways are also pretty dated and could benefit from fresh flowers and a new coat of paint I think.

*Quick pros-
Staff are accommodating and friendly, wonderful location right in South Bank;quick access to Street's Beach and a short pretty stroll across the bridge into the CBD, breakfast is amazing, beds are comfortable, microwave in room, Like most hotels in the CBD it is completly non-smoking even on your balcony (listing as both pro and con as my son is an asthmatic it is great for me, but my friend was a smoker and it was a little irratating for her)

*Quick cons-
Noise from the Queensland Conservatorium (much more obvious with the doors open) not too bad but there is a constant humming; I actually find it relaxing hehe, disparity between rooms of same value (ask for a good one!) hotel bar is a bit bland, no pool (but who cares?! Street's beach is just a hop and skip away!) Like most hotels in the CBD it is completly non-smoking even on your balcony

Advice on booking to make your stay more special- I can't recommend the City Lights package more, it includes buffet breakfast, late checkout of 1pm, valet parking, bottle of wine on arrival and a newspaper, but most importantly guarantees you a river/city view. Also join Rydges Priority before you go, it's free, you can join online and has quite a few benefits including discounts on food and a welcome back beverage. If you book under a package just do a quick print out of the package inclusions so if you have a staff member (like we did) who is new or a little confused you have something to show them, even if it just inspires them to call over the duty manager who will definately know what's going on. Go to Street's Beach, it's free, close-by and has life guards during peak hours.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Bubblii

Dear ‘Bubblii,’

Thank you for reviewing your experiences at the hotel so thoroughly!

I’m ecstatic to hear of the memorable experiences you enjoyed with us. The suites, our top end room, definitely are spacious and those with views definitely provide an ideal outlook at any time of day or night; the recommendation for booking a guaranteed view package I would definitely second. The buffet breakfast indeed is enviable; we provide our selections in small quantities to ensure the utmost in freshness.

The second stay, without having details, sounds as if it were reserved in a deluxe twin room as apposed to a suite; typically we recommend this type of room to two adults sharing and requiring separate bedding. We did experience technical difficulties with one of our lifts recently; thankfully the issue has been attended to via our service team; whilst I apologise for any delays, I’m glad that everyone seemed to see the lighter side of the situation.

Many thanks again for the review; we look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges South Bank Brisbane in the future.

Reviewed February 24, 2010

I stayed here with my husband and daughter and we LOVED the experience. The staff were friendly personable and helpful, the rooms were spacious and spotlessly clean. We enjoyed one of the riverside rooms -great size with 2 double beds, writing desk, couch and a sink with microwave which came in very handy. We enjoyed our stay here so much we will not stay anywhere else now. Walking distance to Brisbane Mall and right across the road from Southbank precinct. All at a great price directly from their website.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank lollysmum
FOM-RydgesSB, Front Office Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2010

Dear ‘lollysmum.’

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. I’m glad you enjoyed the stay, the rooms fit-out, the local precinct and the convenience of the location. It’s especially pleasing to hear that you were able to enjoy the stay with your family; memorable experiences are often hard to come by and it is always great to have them with your loved ones.

Reviewed February 22, 2010

I booked a brisbane review view room through Rydges website but was allocated to a room facing directly to the back of the Griffith University, where some large industrial air-conditioning (or some other) equipments worked day and night and made totally unbearable noise -- we need to wear earplugs for sleep. I asked for room changing but was told no other room was available. I made this reservation two months in advance and made it clear this was for our honeymoon. Except for a friendly concierge who helped us for our luggage, other staff seems very cool and not care about clients. This is a cold hotel-the only hotel during our trip which did not offer an oral "welcome". This hotel maybe ok for business but definitely not for holidays.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bbqChina
FOM-RydgesSB, Front Office Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2010

Dear ‘bbqChina.’

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. I’m sorry to hear of the noise issues relating to your stay as presumably from the Air Conditioning located at the Queensland Conservatorium. This is the first issue reported to the hotel regarding noise from this source; we will advise the local precinct manager and ensure the dB rating from this source is within local regulations. I’m disappointed to hear of your experiences relating to staff, we all pride ourselves on our customer service delivery, to hear of your experience does seem out of character and for this I apologise.

We hope you were able to enjoy your honeymoon as a whole, and perhaps on your next visit to Brisbane we may be able to give you the experience you were expecting and that we long to deliver.

Reviewed February 18, 2010

I can not speak highly enough of our experiences at South Bank Rydges - my family and I have stayed on three seperate occaisions and thouroughly enjoyed each and every one. We were there for two new years; new year 2009 and new year 2010, as well as for the riverfire festival. Three wonderful experiences in an exemplary hotel.

On all three occaisions that I have stayed at the hotel, the focus has been watching fireworks on the Brisbane river for New Years celebrations and the Riverfire festival. We have stayed with close and extended family in large groups. The hotel is perfectly designed for this kind of weekend getaway.

On arrival our cars were taken by helpful valets; On one occasion over new year 2009 (our first time staying at the hotel) we had one problem where one of the cars had been mislabeled for another room. But this was quickly resolved and has not happened again. Concierge although busy were very helpful and checked us in efficiently. We were not priority guests but were staying with young children and found that we were quickly taken aside so that we could get the children settled in. This was something that we found in every area of the hotel; so often when staying in high quality resorts with very young children you are snubbed and left waiting for long periods of time allowing the children to become crabby and difficult. Staff at the Rydges clearly understand this and met our needs to an excellent standard.

The rooms are both modern and stylish, absolutely spotless. The views in the rooms we chose to stay in had fantastic views - the perfect place to watch fireworks from. Bell boys are very helpful with bags and polite. We did order room service and found that although waiting for a while (this was expected over special holiday weekends) food was never cold when it arrived and always good quality. We had very comfortable beds, the sofa bed for the children was perfectly adequate. A lovely balcony from which to watch the fireworks, but I would suggest that young children are not to be left alone out there. The railings are perfectly stable and safe but not as high as you might imagine when you're 11 floors up. Just something to watch out for. A stunningly unobstructed view.

The restaurant on the boulevard is stunning - the seafood buffet is to die for, the food is wonderful. You couldn't ask for better. Again, the staff are extremely helpful and so good with the children, even when they are acting up. This was a huge selling point for us. Cocktails take a while but are worth the wait! Buffet breakfast is more of the same - amazing food, wonderfully done to a high standard. One of the highlights. Again, this was a big bonus for us. One of the best hotel breakfasts I've ever had.

Another bonus when you're staying there over new years is the tennis. The Brisbane International tournament which is the precursor of the Australian Open in Melbourne is held very close to hotel. You know that a place is good when you have top international and domestic tennis stars staying at the same hotel. It was exciting to be seeing these high class tennis players! Over Riverfire we also say some of the Australian Netball team staying there, easily recognisable from their uniforms which they wore to breakfast. The kids were thrilled to be seeing these sporting celebrities in real life.

Overall I can't say enough good things about our experiences and would reccomend it to everyone - everytime has been a wonderful experience and I hope that we will be able to stay there again in the future!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Meggerz0203

Dear ‘Meggez0203.’

Thank you so much for your review. It’s fantastic to hear of the enjoyment & memories that you have been able to share with us over your last few stays. The timings of your stays have coincided with major events in the city and precinct and it is a pleasure to read how our planning and execution have resulted in a positive stay across the board.

Thank you again for telling of your experiences, we look forward to welcoming you back in the future, perhaps Riverfire 2010 (4th September) and NYE 2010.