“Don't think we'll go back...”

Rydges South Bank Brisbane
Ranked #38 of 157 Hotels in Brisbane
Melbourne
“Don't think we'll go back...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2008

We stayed at Rydges Brisbane for long weekend last week and we weren't very impressed at all.

Our room was right next to the Gym and could hear people running on a trade mill at 5 o'clock in the morning.

On Saturday night, there was some kind of function (wedding, I guess) and the band played loud music (so loud that we couldn't even watch TV properly) from 9.30 pm.
We called concierge several times but no changes were made so we had the Duty Manager come to the room so that he could hear how loud the music was. He promised he'd ask the band to low it down however, the music was as loud till midnight.

The next day, we found a letter as we walked into the room and thought it might be from the manager apologising about the noise made last night.
Well, too much expectations. It said, they had some problems and there won't be hot water.

Later that day, we found another letter on the floor - it was 'Guest list', which showed full names of the guests with room number and how long they are staying etc.
How bizarre is that!

We took a shower with ice cold water early next morning and said, 'we will never come back to this hotel'.

Besides all of that, the room was quite old and the bathroom was especially in a poor condition - cheap materials and one of the taps would fall off if we were not careful.

I know it's not a five star hotel(or.. is it? hope not), but they could've done a better job than this. So unprofessional.

• Liked — Bar
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Mel0226
caphill-7, General Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this review, October 29, 2008
Dear Mel0266,

Thankyou for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at Rydges South Bank. It is disappointing to read that that you did not have an enjoyable stay.

I have passed on your comments to the executive assistant manager so he can follow up with his team regarding your noise complaint. I believe from your comments that the hotel could have been more proactive to resolve this issue.

The unforeseen issue you experienced with the hot water is not a common problem at the hotel and was rectified the following day and i do aploogise for the inconvenience this did cause.

I do hope we have the opportunity to look after you as our guest agian in the future. Feel free to contact me directly to discuss this further.

Kind Regards,
Patrick Lonergan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (637)
Singapore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2008

This is the most racist hotel that I have ever been to.

I booked for 3 rooms for 3 person to stay for 2 nights (8 Oct to 10 Oct) at the Rydges Southban Brisbane under the same confirmation letter. 2 of us are Asians and 1 caucasian colleage. When we checked in my caucasian colleage at the front of the queue manage to check in smoothly. When it is our turn, the hotel manager told us that due to system error and high occupancy rate, the system has relocated us to another hotel in the city. I was quite surprised and questioned about having booked for 3 person under the reservation. The hotel manager lied unconvincingly that our caucasian colleague must have checked in much early and was lucky to get a room. I argued that the 3 of us just walked in together a couple of minutes ago. He was dumbstruck but just maintain that he is not able to provide the 2 of us a room and that we have to move to another hotel. When I told him that our booking is for 3 person under the same confirmation letter how can we be split up without informing. He said that we were automatically chosen. When I asked him is it because we are Asian? He was not able to reply. I told the manager that we need to be staying in the same hotel because we are visiting customers together, he just bluntly told us that he cannot do anything.

Although the hotel agrees to pay our taxi fare so that we commute back to this hotel to fetch our caucasian colleage, we decide to all move to another hotel.

I am totally digusted with the way they handled this situation. It was quite obvious that they relocated the Asians and give preferrence to caucasians without even pre-informing. I heard that they gave preference to the exhibition guest and cancelled our booking without informing in advance.

• Disliked — They are too RACIST
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank dalvin
TonyScrivener, Executive Assistant Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this review, November 23, 2008
Dear Sir,

Further to your feedback it concerns me greatly that you believe the hotel staff to be racist. Rydges South Bank is an equal opportunity employer and prides itself on the international guests the hotel receives on a regular basis due to the close proximity to the Convention Centre.

In regards to the situation you experienced, the hotel found itself in an overbooking situation and as such a number of guests, from all walks of life, did need to be relocated to another hotel.

Queensland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2008

Felt compelled to write a review of this hotel after seeing the some of the reviews written by previous guests.
We stayed there two weeks ago for a weekend in the City, and the Hotel more than met with our expectations. Yes, the Hotel is obviously going through a period of transition, and some things look a little tired (our AC didn't work properly and the wall control unit was loose - reported at check-out) but the room was clean and well decorated. We signed up for a weekend package, and thought it was good value for money. Breakfast was excellent, wide variety of food and fresh. We had no problems with service or food levels on a busy Sunday morning.
This Hotel is a 3 to 4 star in my opinion(and priced accordingly), and does not attempt to be anything else. All the staff we met, from Reception to Cleaners were cheerful and friendly. .
As the title suggests....this is a good Hotel in a great location. We would recommend, and stay again at, this Hotel.

Stayed September 2008
TonyScrivener, Executive Assistant Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this review, October 7, 2008
Dear Foggy Hoggy,

Thankyou for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Rydges South Bank. I apologise for the air-conditioning unit not working to its full potential but I can advise that a new air conditioning chiller unit for the total hotel operation will be craned in and installed in the coming month.

Melbourne
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2008

Stayed here for two nights en-route to Port Douglas, with a package deal to include river view room and entrance to the Picasso Exhibition at Goma. A great location and close proximity to the wonderful strip of cafes, shops, markets (on Saturday) along Southbank.

We had a deluxe Queen room, overlooking the skyline of thge city and the river. Rooms were a bit disappointing, as looked in need of an update. Also, sound proofing was non-existent in our room....coudl hear a baby screaming most of the night and also a mother loudly trying to 'calm' the baby. Not the best start to a relaxing weekend!

Gym is basic, but good for an express cardio workout, didn't eat at the hotel so no opinion. Staff were helpful, lobby and decor is modern, but rooms lacking in terms of quality feel. An 'okay' stay

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Poor soundproofing (in our room at least!)
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Dear Britpop 73,

Thankyou for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Rydges South Bank. It is dissapointing that you found our rooms below standard given the refurbishment that took place last year.

We are currently looking at some new and exciting items to be placed in room over the next few months so if you are returning to Australia I urge you to revisist us and see the changes that we continue to make to improve the "Inroom" experience..

Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2008

Booked this stay based on a tripadvisor forum recommendation as I had just one night in Brisbane and wanted someplace I could experience a bit of city life instead of just an airport hotel.

I was so impressed - cannot say how much it exceeded my expectations.

I arrived via South Brisbane station, and the hotel is just a quick walk away (used the hotel's website directions - very clear), and was hoping just to drop off my bags as I arrived before check-in. Was very pleased that it was no problem at all to check in and was super quick and efficient check in - was probably done in less than two minutes - no lie, and my bags were whisked out of my hands and up to my room.

My hotel room on the seventh floor was amazing - beautiful, impeccably decorated and beautiful view overlooking the ferris wheel, south bank park area, and the river.

The room was very well equipped, two very nice beds, lots of pillows, a nice sofa, two good sitting chairs, nice desk, lots of lamps, a bar size fridge/mini bar (still enough room to get some small bits of my own in), a microwave. I thought there wasn't any coffee, but in reading the hotel guide, discovered there was a cupboard. Inside, I was so impressed, was not just the usual coffee, etc. but real plates, real cutlery, real glasses, real wine glasses. Also a selection of tea (regular & herbal), instant coffee, hot chocolate. There was also a bar sink, which was really nice and I haven't seen before in a regular hotel room. Having the real dishes & cutlery was nice - there's been plenty a hotel room where we've ended up snacking off of paper towels and using a plastic fork.

The beds were awesome - didn't realize until later that Rydges uses its beds as part of its marketing - but they were really nice. Very supporting yet cozy - nice light duvet with more covers in the closet. Both foam and feather pillows, and nice firm little pillows that are nice for propping up and watching TV (a big complaint when travelling with my hubby is having trouble watching TV in bed as its too uncomfortable and usually there's no place else to watch TV - here we would have had the choice to use the sofa as well)

Bathroom was fine, nothing really outstanding one way or another. Lots of water pressure in the shower which was nice, and the toiletries were quite nice as well.

The concierge staff was very warm and helpful, did get a bit busy later in the night due to a big rugby match in town, but were still very courteous.

There are internet kiosks to use in the lobby. One quibble is how they are set up - when you are sitting at them, it appears you are hotel staff. Somebody asked me for an Italian restaurant recommendation - I was no help of course :) so some kind of visual interruption would be helpful.

I was there on a nice sunny Saturday, and there was lots going on in the surrounding area. The ferris wheel was going, beautiful to stroll along the riverbank park area, really gorgeous, even a nice little man-made beach for the kiddies, great outdoor food court area, lots of restaurants, open market stalls with some great finds even different than I came across in Eumundi.

I didn't try any of the hotel restaurants or room service, so can't comment on that.

Also a nicely equipped gym with bikes, treadmills, weight machine, showers, hot tub and sauna.

In the am, used the express checkout, 3 minute walk to South Brisbane station, caught the airtrain and was at the International Terminal in half an hour for about $15. The transportation, easy, efficient, and cheap was probably easier from Rydges than if I did stay at an airport hotel.

Overall, a great holiday experience. Nothing but good to say, and I highly recommend this hotel to all.

• Liked — Everything - service, decor, comfort, view, Brisbane
  • Disliked — Nothing but the internet access
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
TonyScrivener, Executive Assistant Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this review, September 21, 2008
Dear "mcwhippet"

Thankyou for such glowing feedback regarding your recent stay at Rydges South Bank. Our team at the property are our biggest asset and its great to hear that they looked after you, even with the Bledisloe Cup in town! I will definately pass this feedback onto the team.

In regards to the internet kiosk yes this is something that does need addressing and I will work with the maintenance team onsite to come up with a resolution to this issue.

Thanks again for this lovely feedback and I hope to welcome you back to Brisbane one day soon.

brisbane
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2008

Booked especially for fathers day. Had the following problems;

- Restaurant booking was missed (only due to staff incompetence, booking was written in book however staff missed name).

- Although booking was made resturant had to make up table when we arrived. Eight people squashed on a table for 6.

- Breakfast was very disappointing. No plates, very limited hot food that was not topped up regularly.

- Had to clear used plates ourselves as staff didn't.

- Waited at the counter for (5-10mins) while staff finished conversation, to pay for meal.

- Staff very rude and incompeted.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank miannbris
TonyScrivener, Executive Assistant Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this review, September 17, 2008
Dear Miannbris,

Thankyou for your feedback regarding your experience during your fathers day breakfast. It is most displeasing to hear your comments and I would very much like to discuss this with you in more detail. At your convenience could you please contact me at the hotel on 07 33640800.

England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2008

This hotel is very posh and has local facilites as Laundry , Cafe/Bar. It is also on the south bank. A short 5 min walk will bring you into the centre of Brisbane. Hotel had valet parking and
reception staff that were very helpfull. Great man made beach with pool atached in fron t of hotel about 2 min walk.

• Liked — Rooms were very comfortable
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank cjocolumbus
Dear "cjocolumbus",

Thankyou for your feeback regarding your recent stay at Rydges South Bank. It is pleasing to hear that we exceeded your expectations whilst staying at the hotel.