“Great location with fantastic beds”

Rydges South Bank Brisbane
Ranked #35 of 157 Hotels in Brisbane
Adelaide
“Great location with fantastic beds”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

This hotel is in a great location, joins on to the Convention & Exhibition Centre, just next to the South Brisbane train station (20 mins by train from the airport) and lots of great cafe and restaurants. I found the staff to be very efficient and polite and the highlight was the wonderfully comfortable beds. They had a great deal where if you pre-pay at check-in for breakfast it is $20 instead of $35. Definitely worth doing, great food with a huge range. Really enjoyed my staff and would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: View of the Brisbane river is lovely
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Scott W, Rooms Division Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Dear cjjadelaide,

Thank you for the excellent feedback surrounding your recent stay with us at Rydges South Bank Brisbane.

It was fantastic to read you have enjoyed the location of the hotel and the ease of public transport. South Bank has a fantastic selection of restaurants and cafes offering a wide variety of food and drink to cater for all.

The beds are specially designed for Rydges and continue to provide a blissful night’s sleep for all. Thank you for the kind words in relation to the staff at the hotel. I am pleased to read you had the opportunity to secure our current breakfast deal and thoroughly enjoyed your experience.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Rooms Division Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (646)
Queensland, Australia
Reviewed April 15, 2014

I recently stayed with my God-daughter to celebrate her 40th birthday!e Delux Twin Room was very comfortable and the choice at breakfast was great. However, you need to be aware that the Friday Night Markets at South Bank are no longer running - they run on a Saturday and Sunday we were told. All in all we had a very comfortable enjoyable evening at the Rydges. Thank you

Room Tip: Ask for a river view room
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear PatriciaMcL,

Thank you for the recent review in relation to your stay with us at Rydges South Bank Brisbane.

I am please to read you have enjoyed your experience at the hotel and was able to secure a Deluxe Twin room with the stunning views of the Brisbane River and City.

The South Bank location provides an excellent selection of entertainment and activities. I do hope you were able to find an alternative option to the Friday Night Markets.

Thank you again for the review and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed April 14, 2014

Spent one night here on a business trip. Hotel is conveniently placed but not enough for me to ever return. The whole place is run down and in need of a complete revamp as per the photos I have included. Staff were all very nice and friendly and I felt sorry for them as at no stage were they ever game enough to ask if I enjoyed my stay. I have stayed at better caravan parks than this hotel. Not sure if it was just my room ( 225 ) or the whole hotel. But the comments from some other guests staying at the hotel were also not favourable. I felt for a Rydges hotel chain it is shame shame shame.

1 Thank Kevin1310
Scott W, Rooms Division Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Dear Kevin1310,

Thank you for your honest feedback in relation to your stay with us at Rydges South Bank Brisbane.

It was disheartening to read some of the comments and references to caravan parks you have made in your review.

The hotel completed a full refurbishment of the Podium Level in late 2012 which has set the benchmark for the rooms and other public areas. I am unsure whether you got to experience dinner in Bacchus Restaurant or a drink in the Bacchus Bar, but perhaps this would have given you an insight to the future of the hotel. The CBD Cafe and Bar, also just underwent its own refurbishment to bring it in line with current trends and similar venues around South Bank. With any modernization of properties, as much as we would love, things do not happen overnight.

Room 225 is a multi-purpose room and due to the modifications required to cater for our guests, a different layout is needed. Please accept my apologies if you did not require this type of room. The picture you posted of the shower bench is a concern and will be looked at.

Whilst you have made you opinion up on the hotel, I firmly believe we are heading in the right direction and as mentioned previously these transformations do not happen overnight.

Cairns
Reviewed April 12, 2014

I wasn't able to fly home from Brisbane due to the cyclone. I picked this hotel for convenience and location. Well where do I begin, the light in the hallway didn't work it flickered on and off , tried ringing to inform someone that it needed replacing however, no answer. The standard of the room left a lot to be desired. Be assured I was paying a premium price for this room. Little things that should have been in the room were missing, no milk, no writing paper and the tv was dodgy.

The group across the hall decided to party almost all night. Not a good night at all.

If you want to be treated like a number and not a person, then certainly stay here, otherwise, there are far nicer hotels in Brisbane to stay at.

When I checked out I was slugged $25 for using the internet. I was under the impression, that wifi was free. Beware there was no indication that I would have to pay for wifi. Most hotels these days give it complimentary.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Mollymoo_10
Rui O, Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Dear Mollymoo_10,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Rydges South Bank, Brisbane.

Please accept my apologies for the state in which you found your room. We pride ourselves on our cleanliness and any deviation from our standards are dealt with as soon as possible. I would also like to apologise for the faulty light you had experienced, this issue should have been resolved promplt, however it appears that we were not able to assist you at this time.

As for the noise that was coming from other rooms around you, our managers on duty will ensure that any and all noise disturbances are dealt with. Should you experience this again, please contact the front desk immediately, as we will be able to solve the issue for you.

In regards to the wireless internet, our system does notify our guests of the fees and will not allow a connection until the fees are accepted. I understand that Australia is lagging behind in terms of providing internet free of charge and we are currently organising a complimentary service to our guests.

We hope that you'll consider the Rydges South Bank as an accommodation choice in the future as we would like to welcome you back and provide the level of service that we expect.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 12, 2014

We recently spent 3 nights at Rydges in Brisbane. Location wise, it was perfect for us. Easy walk to great restaurants and located centrally for our travel requirements. Staff were most courteous and helpful. The cafe had my favourite coffee-bonus! We stayed in the luxury twin room which had everything we needed. Bathroom was just ok, but I think it could do with an update - shower pressure crappy and not enough bench space to store toiletries etc. The only thing I disliked about our stay was there were 2 weddings on the Saturday and Sunday nights and as we were on the 10th floor, the thudding from the music kept us awake. Staff did try to manage this (especially on the second night when it was particularly bad), but maybe the acoustics in the events rooms ought to be reviewed and updated so that people staying up in the higher levels won't be disturbed by loud music! All in all, we'd be happy to return and no doubt will.

Dear Vicki B,

Thank you for providing feedback about your recent stay with us.

I am glad that you were able to enjoy the hotel and the surrounding area during your stay. We are close to many great dining, entertainment, and shopping areas, as well as only being a few minutes walk to the CBD.

We have just completed renovations to our public areas and now our attention has turned to our guest rooms and suites.

Please accept my apologies for the noise disruption you experienced during your stay. We do our utmost to strike a fair balance so that everyone can enjoy the hotel and its facilities, at times however this can be difficult and it appears that we were not able to alleviate the issue during your stay.

I hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Mackay, Australia
Reviewed April 10, 2014

Wonderful experience as a guest for 2 nights and attended an event - Wedding as a bridesmaid ;)
Staff were extremely helpful and made the experience for the bride to be calm and enjoyable with the preparations on the big day. From helping us with requirements to the staff at the event keeping us refreshed and happy.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Paula255338,

Thank you for the kind comments about your recent stay with us.

I am glad that we were able to provide great service to you and we understand that weddings can be stressful so hearing your good comments are great to hear and I've passed them onto our team.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed April 10, 2014

Good location. Close to the river and not far from downtown. There were many entertainments and variety of restaurants nearby with lots of people in the weekend. We stayed here because my husband had to attend the conference at the convention center. From our room we could see Brisbane Eye. It would be much nicer if we could have free WIFI in our room. I had to request and hook to the internet at the lobby. Sometimes it took more than half an hour to log in the network. Concierge man was helpful printing maps for our trip to Gold Coast and Natural Bridge. He gave us the best choice to rent a car instead of buying day trip tour or going there by train. We had a wonderful time in Brisbane....

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Aroonwan5,

Thank you for you comments about your recent stay with us.

I am glad to read that you've enjoyed Brisbane, The location of the hotel is perfect for dining, entertainment and shopping. It is great that our Concierge was able to help you make informed decisions that made your stay in Brisbane more enjoyable.

I apologise for the connection issues you experienced with our wireless service. We are looking to have complimentary internet soon, however until then please feel free to join our complimentary membership program that provides some great discounts and other benefits.

We hope to see you again soon.