“Fantastic Hotel in Perfect Location”

Rydges South Bank Brisbane
Ranked #36 of 169 Hotels in Brisbane
Reviewed January 19, 2014

We stayed at Rydges in January 2014 and would recommend this hotel to anyone. The prices were reasonable, the room was great, and we had an amazing view. You are in the middle of Southbank, just minutes from the pool and beach that are by the river, and with your choice of restaurants within walking distance. The room was huge, and had a mini kitchen, and a balcony overlooking the river. Definitely worth paying a little extra to get the river view and the Brisbane wheel. The staff were all helpful, from the parking attendant to the customer service behind the front desk who helped us get train tickets to the airport. Rydges South Bank Brisbane is a nice hotel and good value for money.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Scott W, Rooms Division Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2014

Dear L_DTravellers,

Thank you for the fantastic feedback in relation to your stay with us at Rydges South Bank Brisbane.

It is pleasing to read you have enjoyed the stunning view from your room and enjoyed the position of the hotel. The South Bank precinct has a excellent selection of restaurants, entertainment and activities and only a stones throw away.

Thank you for the kind words surrounding the staff at the hotel, they are much appreciated. I look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Scott Wright
Rooms Division Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,154)

Reviewed January 19, 2014

This is a great location if you want to attend a show at Qpac or you must be in the Southbank region. However apart from the location there are not many other reasons to stay here. The rooms are overpriced, they are rundown and the furniture is marked and stained and a bit dirty looking, the cleaners do the best they can with what they have to work with. The buffet breakfast was very nice. The pool is tiny and not inviting at all. Valet Parking is your only parking option at $35 per night. The drinks are way overpriced, the Rydges Loyalty program offers members a 20% discount on drinks, with the discount the drinks then come down to normal realistic prices, beware if you are not a member you are paying 20% too much. Brisbane has loads of fantastic hotels, that leave this hotel for dead, it appears to me that Rydges Southbank are solely relying on their location and have no interest in improving the standard of the hotel.

Room Tip: Definitely get a river view
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Zoe L, Duty Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2014

Dear Sneeky76,

Thank you for your feedback surrounding your recent stay at Rydges South Bank Brisbane.

The hotel is located in the heart of the South Bank Precinct and is the perfect base for those attending a show at QPAC or other entertainment venues.

It is disappointing to read that you feel the hotel did not meet expectations. As the renovations of our new Podium Level are complete, the attention will now draw to the rooms and their facilities as this is definitely something that is important to us.

As like most inner city hotels there is a charge for valet car parking, the hotel does however often offer packages which include car parking if you chose to stay with the hotel again. The Priority Guests Rewards Programme offers members the opportunity to enjoy discounts pre, during and after their stay.

I do hope you will choose to stay again with us and I can have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel.

Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

We have stayed at Rydges before and loved the experience. But this time there was just appalling service from Rydges southbank. We booked a romantic night away (booked about 2 months ago) with a lazy midday checkout to enjoy each others company. 0930am the floor below they start to jackhammer up the tiled floor, it was loud - as in hearing loss loud. We fairly gave them 20 mins before ringing, and when we did they had no idea what was going on. They rang back to say that they had no idea when it would end (yes could just hear over the jack hammer). Asked what they could do for me- 'nothing sorry'. Told them I'd have to leave due to the unbearable noise- 'we're sorry'. Left immediately- we ran out that door it was so bad. Booking out you could hear the hammering from reception 4 floors below, although it was bearable there. Asked if I'd missed the signage re building works- 'sorry no signage maintenance doesn't inform reception of what they are doing'. Apparently 'doing a fair bit of maintenance this year'. So if you want to stay in your room and keep your hearing maybe you could consider one of the other excellent hotels in Brisbane. ' I'm 'sorry' Rydges but selling uninhabitable rooms is not good enough when you are a hotel.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lamb_shanks86

Dear lamb_shanks86,

Thank you for the honest feedback in relation to your stay with us at Rydges South Bank Brisbane.

It was extremely disheartening to read the comments made in your recent review. Unfortunately some essential works were required on several first floor rooms at the start of the week. The noisy works continued longer than anticipated and obviously the cause for your negative review. I would like to personally offer my sincerest apologies on behalf of the hotel for the negative experience you have encountered this time at the hotel.

Having stayed before and loved the experience, I would hope this occasion does not form your final opinion and will not deter you from choosing to stay with us again. Should you wish to book please contact the manager on duty at the hotel who will be happy to assist.

Once again please accept my apologies.

Scott Wright
Rooms Division Manager

Reviewed January 18, 2014

We had to stay in Brisbane for our six month old boy to go into Mater Children's for major surgery. It was so nice to know that whichever of us was in hospital, the other was being well looked after with our toddler at Rydges. Zoe gave us a lovely suite with extra room for playing in, and when our 2-yr old left his beloved balloon in our car, Tim went and fetched it and brought t to our room, complete with a tag addressed to our little one. Room service was lovely. The beds were heavenly, especially after being up all night in PICU. Being so close to Streets Beach really kept our older boy busy and happy so he didn't feel ignored while our attention was on his little brother.

There are hospitals just next to Mater but the beds are nowhere near as nice and the facilities just aren't all that. Rydges brought our car up two or three times a day, EVERY DAY, without so much as a hint that we were an inconvenience. Much better than walking with armloads of stuff up and down the hills to the hospital.

If you come to Brisbane for medical care, STAY AT THE RYDGES and take care of yourself.

Room Tip: If you have kids, being able to park them in a separate room with separate TV is the way to go. The...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

Dear doctorsooz,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback surrounding your recent stay at Rydges South Bank Brisbane.

It is personally rewarding to read that we were able to help make your stay enjoyable during what I can imagine would have a stressful time.

The King Suites are a great option for extra space during a longer stay and I am glad I had one available to offer to you. Thank you also for your special mention to Tim, I will be sure to pass on your thanks to him directly.

Once again thank you for your feedback and please don’t hesitate to contact me the next time you stay in Brisbane so that we can ensure you have everything you need to make your stay comfortable.

Reviewed January 18, 2014

The rooms were clean and tidy, the bed was comfortable and the location was quiet. Although it is time that this hotel had an update as the rooms and furnishings appear to be getting a bit tired. My wife also commented that she thought the restaurant was also a bit drab and tired. I am a great advocate of Rydges and as a Platinum cardholder I usually I don't stay anywhere else. But my biggest complaint about Rydges at the moment is their Priority membership, it seems each Rydges has a different interpretation of the rules and is different in each hotel you stay in. If you are going to offer your customers benefits please standardise these across the board, I am seriously thinking about changing my hotels because of this. Otherwise, nice clean hotel, great location but needs updating.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear nerney1961,

Thank you for your feedback and ongoing loyalty to Rydges South Bank Brisbane.

As the refurbishment of our new Podium Level is complete, our attention will now draw to the rooms and their facilities.

Please accept my sincere apologies if there has been any confusion with the Priority Guest Rewards membership benefits being applied to your account. Rydges South Bank applies all discounts in line with the terms and conditions of the membership. A full copy of the terms and conditions is available at http://www.priorityguestrewards.com.au/terms-conditions.

I hope this helps clarify things and I hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed January 11, 2014

RYDGES Southbank has become our pick to stay in Brisbane. Price and close to many areas on the Southbank, cultural areas and a staged walk to the Gabba (nice pubs on ghe way).
Roomshave always been cofortable and the staff are all attentave and helpfull. Buffet breakfast was plentiful, but the coffee orders were a little slow, however, it was extremely busy.

Room Tip: River view is worth the little extra, sitting on the balcony looking over the river to the city is v...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Zoe L, Duty Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2014

Dear rfengler,

The hotel is located perfectly in the heart of the South Bank Precinct with everything you need for dining and entertainment all within short walking distance.

Thank you for your comments regarding the rooms and staff, they are very much appreciated.

Thank you for your understanding with the delay in the delivery of your coffee at breakfast. The restaurant rosters staff based on the number of guests booked for breakfast and it can often become busy if all guests happen to arrive at once.

Once again thank you for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed January 10, 2014

Great staff all round, Jacob concierge excelled should be given great recognition for personal presentation, and impeccable service.

Room service....not what we asked for, sauces on the side please..didn't happen.
Cheese platter not ordered but included.

Location ideal, close to the city, short walk.

Lousey cocktails for price.

I could not navigate away from this page without writting a review....not happy

Why would anyone want to wriet 2oo words min, when all can be said in a few lines.

Will never open another review for anything in the future, I have better thingsto do than try and write a story for something I enjoyed but am now very much annoyed to have to sit here and hope I can find oo words to satisfy whoever decided this was a good idea.

Just want to go to the beach with mygradkids, maybe I should tell you about them I could write a book on hw fabulous they.and how much more fun I am going to have once this page lets me escape. I have shopping to do and have to pack to go to Melbourne for the Australian Tennis Open. Now that is going to be a great week, catching up with old friends and watching great tennis.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Zoe L, Duty Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2014

Dear Margie H,

Thank you for your feedback surrounding your stay at Rydges South Bank Brisbane.

Firstly I would like to address the trouble you came across whilst looking at Trip Advisor Reviews. The hotel has no relationship with Trip Advisor that would “force” guests into writing a review for the hotel before being able to navigate away from the page. Writing a review for the hotel is completely optional, so I believe the issue you encountered is a feature within the Trip Advisor website not Rydges South Bank.

Thank you though four your feedback in relation to our concierge supervisor Jacob. He is a great asset to the team and always goes above and beyond to provide the highest level of customer service. I will be sure to pass you comments on to him directly.

Please accept my apologies for the error with your room service meal. The room service team works hard to deliver a high quality service and it is disappointing to read that this was not the case during your stay.

I hope the trouble you had online does not deter you from staying with the hotel and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.