“This hotel rocks!”

Rydges South Bank Brisbane
Ranked #37 of 169 Hotels in Brisbane
Reviewed April 10, 2013

When I read the reviews in order to help me choose a hotel in Brisbane, I was impressed how all of them mentioned the courteous and outstanding service they had experienced at the Rydges South Bank Brisbane hotel. With this recommendation I chose the Rydges and was not disappointed. I asked for an upgrade and was given a room with a lovely view of the river banked by Brisbane's downtown buildings. Throughout my stay, the staff responded curteously and efficiently with any need that came up. To add to this the location of the hotel could not be beat! A short walk away lays an art museum, the pier for day-cruise trips, and interesting markets just across the river. I look forward to staying at the Rydges South Bank Brisbane again.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view: The spacious window framed a Ferris wheel, the skyline of Brisbane, and the ca...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
JoelGordon_SouthBank, Rooms Division Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2013

Dear 75SusanF,

Thank you for your wonderful comments surrounding your stay with us here at Rydges South Bank Brisbane.

I love the enthusiasm in the title, along with your kind words in relation to how we exceeded your expectations with our guest service and location.

I look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Rooms Division Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,133)

Reviewed April 9, 2013

I stayed at the Rydges Hotel in South Bank for 3 nights in April. The hotel is located around 25min from the airport via taxi. The hotel is in a fantastic location for both business and pleasure being connected to the convention centre and across the road from the South Bank Brisbane foreshore.
My check-in/check-out was easy with a very helpful staff member behind the counter. The staff in general were always helpful and friendly with a smile on their face.
I stayed in a Queen room which was spacious with a queen bed, ensuite with a shower over the bath. The room also included a little kitchen bench with sink, kettle, microwave and mini fridge. The room itself was stylishly decorated and clean with the most amazing bed and pillows.
I regularly travel to South Bank in Brisbane for conferences on at the convention centre and I make sure I always stay at this hotel for the ease of access to the convention centre, however I would also stay at this hotel should I every get the chance to travel for South Bank for pleasure. In my opinion this is one of the best hotels to stay at in Brisbane.

Room Tip: Request a room located away from the elevators.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
JoelGordon_SouthBank, Rooms Division Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Dear Cacklebery,

Thank you for your excellent review in relation to your stay with us here at Rydges South Bank Brisbane.

It is fantastic to read that you enjoyed all facets of the hotel, with a special focus on the location and the comfort of the room.

I do hope I have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon, to enjoy a little more leisure than business!

Reviewed April 9, 2013

This room/hotel was exactly what I expected. Nothing terribly fancy, but clean, spacious with all the amenities. Good value for money - especially since Brisbane hotels all seem to be on the expensive side these days. I liked the location - near a couple of public swimming pools by the river and easy access to the walk-over bridge if you need to get to the CBD. The swimming pool at the hotel was tiny though - don't expect anything you really want to linger and enjoy on that front. So, nothing fancy with the room here, but it was exactly what I expected for the price paid.

Room Tip: A higher floor is better as there is a train that passes right next to the hotel - would be noisy on...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
JoelGordon_SouthBank, Rooms Division Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Dear UMH,

Thank you for your recent comments in relation to your stay with us here at Rydges South Bank Brisbane.

I am glad you were able to find the hotel excellent value for money, however it is a shame that after visiting our newly renovated "Podium" level, that nothing was a stand out for you.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

The location was great and the staff welcoming. It is a pity the administration let your product down. Even though we had complimentary parking with the wedding package, a $20 fee was charged. Breakfast was meant to be $30 each but $65 was charged.
It was embarrassing at the reception counter in front of wedding guests to negotiate reversal of these over-chargers.
Finally, I do not agree that I should have to sign a credit card for a $50 imprint fee on check-in. Overseas no signature is required. Also, you refused to give me back my signed Visa slip and I wait to see if the authorization is reversed. I paid in cash!

Room Tip: Rooms on the 10th floor facing west have thin walls and suffer from the glare of the Convention Cent...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank LawrenceH386

Dear LawrenceH386,

Thank you for your feedback in relation to your stay with us here at Rydges South Bank Brisbane.

My sincerest apologies that you felt embarressed whilst finalising the bill upon checkout. It certainly isn't the intention of the hotel to bring this upon you.

The hotel gains a signature upon check-in to ensure we have a signature on file. This is purely an authorisation and is released immediately upon checkout. It is then up to your bank to clear it into your available funds.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

We just spend three nights at this Hotel - chose it because of it's proximity to the railway station and the fact that it is in the heart of Southbank which is such a wonderful place to stay. We paid a little extra for a front-facing room and were so pleased that we did. The view was wonderful, especially at night with the big wheel lit up and the city bright with lights. The room was very nicely appointed, obviously recently refurbished to an excellent standard. The only gripe would be that the bathroom is very small and bit dated but then, how much time do you spend in the bathroom??? The bed was a.m.a.z.i.n.g. - would have to be the most comfortable bed we have ever slept in and if we could have fitted it in our suitcase, room 1126 would now be without a bed! To us, a comfortable bed is the most important thing about a hotel room and this one was outstanding. Our room was lovely and quiet but we could enjoy the hustle and bustle of the outside with the slider open if we wanted.....this certainly proved that the double-glazed windows did their job. It would be lovely to see something decorative on the balconies. Maybe a pot plant or something similar, just to make it a bit more attractive. Excellent air-con which is a must for us Kiwis! The staff were extremely obliging and the service, impeccable. We used room-service for breakfast and were very happy with the food. The Hotel staff arranged transport for us to the airport at the end of our stay and the driver gave us an entertaining trip out there - great friendly service. Overall, this hotel ticked all the boxes for us - to be able to wander down to the river and catch a ferry and be in the city in 3 minutes is such a bonus!! Thanks Rydges - we will be back!!!

Room Tip: Pay that little extra for a river-facing room, it's well worth the money - the higher up the bet...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Ali F,

Thank you for your lovely comments surrounding your stay with us here at Rydges South Bank Brisbane.

It is great to see that you have made the spectacular view from our Deluxe Queen Rooms your profile picture here on Trip Advisor!

It gives me great pleasure to receive such fantastic feedback and I look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

This hotel is connected to the Brisbane convention center and within walking distance to Queen Street and the train. The rooms are comfortable and staff is very helpful. The food was good, although a bit pricey. The cafe near reception is so nice and the staff there is great as well.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
JoelGordon_SouthBank, Rooms Division Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Dear triciajo44,

Thank you for your excellent comments regarding your stay here at Rydges South Bank Brisbane.

It is pleasing to read that the hotel's location was a stand out for you and was convenient for your needs.

I appreciate the fantastic feedback in relation to the staff here at the hotel, and in particular, our friendly staff in the CBD Cafe. I will be sure to pass on your gratitude.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

We paid $768 for 3 nights stay & had a good view of the Exhibition Centre doors. The wife & I got sore necks from the pillows. We couldn't use the pool area one afternoon/night as there was a private function on. Isn't the use of the facilities what we pay for in our room rate? Breakfast is nothing to rave over. Same food everyday. The ripe wasn't ripe. Please check your bill as were we charged for breakfast that was already included in the package. Queried the lady at reception & she said that was right. Ask a man at reception the next day & said she was wrong. She nearly got us for $120. Room menu is expensive. We ate down the street for half the price. The four of us had to live off 2 cakes of soap for 3 days. Soap must be expensive also. I had to get maintenance there twice. TV remote was terrible. They need to change the aspect ratio on the Foxtel channels to suit widescreen.

Room Tip: Shop around first.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Dear Geoffjd,

Thank you for your comments in relation to your stay with Rydges South Bank Brisbane.

It is disappointing to read that there was nothing that stood out as a positive for you during your stay with us here at the hotel.

My apologies that you felt we have many improvements to be made around the hotel, however I feel this is out of the ordinary as we receive a great deal of positive comments regarding the areas of concern.

I do hope I have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel with a more positive result.