“Very nice”

Rydges South Bank Brisbane
Ranked #35 of 169 Hotels in Brisbane
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We spent two nights in this hotel to see a show at QPAC. The location was great, the service excellent and the room pretty good. Some parts of the room were a little worn, but over all we had no issues.

Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Ian606
Scott W, Senior Duty Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2013

Dear Ian606,

Thank you for the lovely comments in relation to your stay and our staff.

We are located in a fantastic position in South Bank and ideally located for QPAC. Customer Service and the Guest Experience is something I have a true passion for, so it is very pleasing to read you have enjoyed you time and received excellent service.

I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Senior Duty Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,133)

Reviewed February 15, 2013

I spend about 200 days a year on the road and travel all over the Asia Pacific region. The Rydges Southbank is probably the worst hotel by far in the price range.
I have stayed there at least 4 times and every time it gets from bad to worse. On this last trip there were workmen working in the room opposite at 6.30 am. On one day my room was not serviced and the newspaper was only delivered to my room on 2 of the 6 nights I stayed there.
Staff were clueless and not very helpful instead of being helpful and problem solving and the toiletries in the bathroom were inconsistent every day. For example, some days I would have new shampoo and on some days I wouldn't, Same for towels and other such amenities.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Raymon K

Dear RayonTime,

It was very disappointing to read you review of the hotel.

It appears the inconsistencies experienced throughout your stay had led to your disappointment. I am unsure of the exact dates of your stay but any contractor’s onsite have noise restriction enforced and are not permitted to use power tools before 8am. If contractors are on guest floors prior to this then noise is to be kept to a minimum. Please accept my apologies if this restriction had been broken.

The staff at Rydges South Bank Brisbane are widely known for their exceptional Customer Service so it is very disheartening to read your comments in relation to them.

I do appreciate the feedback as we are only able to improve with when it is received and with this in mind I will certainly follow up the inconsistencies with the relevant departments.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Was in Brisbane for work and Rydges South Bank is a great location, however the rooms do in my opinion need renovating, as they are clean and presentable... just tired looking. The ground floor and Podium levels have been renovated, so one would assume the rest of the hotel is scheduled for a make over. Staff were friendly and helpful and the food in the downstairs bar good. Hotel is in a great location to the Brisbane convention centre with access via the podium level. There are lots of resturants in Stanley and Grey streets that should suit many peoples tastes and needs. Once fully renovated I believe this hotel would be hard to beat.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear hunterkiwi,

Thank you for the recent review in relation to your stay with us here at Rydges South Bank Brisbane.

South Bank is one of the top spots in Brisbane. The hotel is centrally located providing an abundance of restaurants, activities and entertainment only a short walk away.

The recent renovation of our Podium Level has been a great success and now fully open our attention will draw to the rooms.

Thank you again for the kind words and I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

We stayed over last weekend for just a mini weekend away. It's in a great location in Brisbane - metres from southbank and great restaurants and shops and we walked over the bridge to the city on Friday night - about 15 minutes!! The room was wonderful - clean and tidy and service was wonderful! There is really only one thing that I'm not 100% comfortable with and that is the pool - I like to swim in the evenings but there is no way I'm swimming in a pool that's surrounded by people eating and drinking at the bar and having to get in and out with all those people around. I don't think the pool is very family friendly and I know I won't be bringing my 6 yr old down for a swim in that pool after say we have dinner we will head over to southbank and swim there, which is what my partner and I did. I think the pool is a great talking point for the bar but not swimming in for a family. I really enjoyed staying at rydges and will do so again :)

• Stayed: February 2013
JoelGordon_SouthBank, Rooms Division Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2013

Dear Gabba79,

Thank you for your recent comments in relation to your stay with us here at Rydges South Bank Brisbane.

I loved reading your comments that you felt the hotel exceeded your expectations regarding the cleanliness and overall service throughout your stay.

My apologies that you felt the pool was lacking in design and comfort. Taking this into consideration, the pool has been designed to encorporate the bar setting to ensure parents can enjoy the atmosphere of the bar, a light meal and/or refreshment whilst still supervising their children.

I look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Joel Gordon
Rooms Division Manager

Reviewed February 10, 2013

My husband and I stayed last weekend at Rydges Southbank Brisbane and we found the hotel great - best location for the Cliff Richard show that we were booked in to see - great for the markets - walking to Southbank - restaurants etc etc - staff were great and very pleasant

Room Tip: Our room was on the western side which was nice but if I were to book in the future I would try the...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Scott W, Senior Duty Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Dear Barbara R,

Thank you for the review from your recent stay with us at Rydges South Bank Brisbane.

South Bank is a wonderful location in Brisbane with everything at our doorstep, there is truly something for everyone. The restaurant scene in South Bank is forever growing, Bacchus Restaurant, Pool and Bar is the hotel’s contribution and it is certainly raising the bar for the area.

The hotel has direct walkway to the Brisbane Convention Centre which is located on our Podium Level providing a convenient access for our guests.

Thank you again and I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you into the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

I stayed for a week, immediately following Australia Day. My room was clean, quiet and comfortable. Everything worked, and staff were unfailingly cheerful and helpful. I got a muffin or donut each morning from the CBD cafe and brewed my own tea upstairs. I also used the free wifi in the lobby, after obtaining a code from the front desk.

The hotel's pool really isn't for swimming, it's too small. So I can see why they use it as a backdrop for the lounge and restaurant. Families with kids will want to swim in the riverfront lagoon, instead of the hotel.

The toiletries were of exceptional quality.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Dear Human44,

I would like to thank you for the fantastic feedback in relation to your stay with us here at Rydges South Bank Brisbane,

It is very pleasing to read you have enjoyed your stay and that our staff have been of assistance.

CBD cafe provided excellent snacks on the go for the morning, both the muffins and donuts are a popular choice. Complimentary WiFi access throughout the public areas in the hotel has been a welcomed addition and excellent service for our guests.

I hope I have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

We live in Brisbane and stay at Rydges for a stay-cation a couple of times a year. This weekend was a horrendous one in Brisbane, with an ex-tropical cyclone battering down. We were initially very disappointed as the pool area was closed due to a function, but upon calling the manager did as much as he could to compensate (early check-in, late check-out, moved up floors,etc). The rooms (we had two - interconnecting) were great size. For such disgusting weather and being a long weekend, very busy the staff were excellent, friendly accomodating and professional. We had room service food, buffet breakfast downstairs (nothing else to do but eat with a mini-cyclone outside) and all were excellent. I agree with a previous comment that they need to sort out their demographic - we have 3 kids and it seems to be moving out of the family friendly market, with the pool being more suitable to the bar-type and although gorgeous, the restaurant is not really for kids and the CDB cafe downstairs is not really nice to sit in - its very bare and not inviting.

We would stay again, mainly because the staff were excellent, but they really need to sort out the family bit if that's who they are trying to cater for.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Dear Monique R

Thank you very much for the positive feedback in relation to your recent stay with us here are Rydges South Bank Brisbane.

It has certainly been an interesting couple of week’s weather in Brisbane. It was very pleasing to read you have enjoyed you stay and the staff have been friendly yet professional. We try to accommodate each of guest needs to the best of our ability especially in situations such as a pool closure. The weather unfortunately played a very big part over the weekend raining on everyone’s parade.

Bacchus is a new venture for the hotel and something quite unique to Brisbane, whilst there have been issues noted regarding the demographic, I believe this will be resolved in the near future.

I would like to thank you again and certainly look forward to personally welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.