“Great place to stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Rydges South Bank Brisbane
Ranked #38 of 162 Hotels in Brisbane
“Great place to stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

We stayed over last weekend for just a mini weekend away. It's in a great location in Brisbane - metres from southbank and great restaurants and shops and we walked over the bridge to the city on Friday night - about 15 minutes!! The room was wonderful - clean and tidy and service was wonderful! There is really only one thing that I'm not 100% comfortable with and that is the pool - I like to swim in the evenings but there is no way I'm swimming in a pool that's surrounded by people eating and drinking at the bar and having to get in and out with all those people around. I don't think the pool is very family friendly and I know I won't be bringing my 6 yr old down for a swim in that pool after say we have dinner we will head over to southbank and swim there, which is what my partner and I did. I think the pool is a great talking point for the bar but not swimming in for a family. I really enjoyed staying at rydges and will do so again :)

• Stayed February 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
JoelGordon_SouthBank, Rooms Division Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear Gabba79,

Thank you for your recent comments in relation to your stay with us here at Rydges South Bank Brisbane.

I loved reading your comments that you felt the hotel exceeded your expectations regarding the cleanliness and overall service throughout your stay.

My apologies that you felt the pool was lacking in design and comfort. Taking this into consideration, the pool has been designed to encorporate the bar setting to ensure parents can enjoy the atmosphere of the bar, a light meal and/or refreshment whilst still supervising their children.

I look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Joel Gordon
Rooms Division Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (629)
Tweed Heads, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

My husband and I stayed last weekend at Rydges Southbank Brisbane and we found the hotel great - best location for the Cliff Richard show that we were booked in to see - great for the markets - walking to Southbank - restaurants etc etc - staff were great and very pleasant

Room Tip: Our room was on the western side which was nice but if I were to book in the future I would try the...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Scott W, Senior Duty Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear Barbara R,

Thank you for the review from your recent stay with us at Rydges South Bank Brisbane.

South Bank is a wonderful location in Brisbane with everything at our doorstep, there is truly something for everyone. The restaurant scene in South Bank is forever growing, Bacchus Restaurant, Pool and Bar is the hotel’s contribution and it is certainly raising the bar for the area.

The hotel has direct walkway to the Brisbane Convention Centre which is located on our Podium Level providing a convenient access for our guests.

Thank you again and I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you into the hotel in the near future.

Canada, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

I stayed for a week, immediately following Australia Day. My room was clean, quiet and comfortable. Everything worked, and staff were unfailingly cheerful and helpful. I got a muffin or donut each morning from the CBD cafe and brewed my own tea upstairs. I also used the free wifi in the lobby, after obtaining a code from the front desk.

The hotel's pool really isn't for swimming, it's too small. So I can see why they use it as a backdrop for the lounge and restaurant. Families with kids will want to swim in the riverfront lagoon, instead of the hotel.

The toiletries were of exceptional quality.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Human44,

I would like to thank you for the fantastic feedback in relation to your stay with us here at Rydges South Bank Brisbane,

It is very pleasing to read you have enjoyed your stay and that our staff have been of assistance.

CBD cafe provided excellent snacks on the go for the morning, both the muffins and donuts are a popular choice. Complimentary WiFi access throughout the public areas in the hotel has been a welcomed addition and excellent service for our guests.

I hope I have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

We live in Brisbane and stay at Rydges for a stay-cation a couple of times a year. This weekend was a horrendous one in Brisbane, with an ex-tropical cyclone battering down. We were initially very disappointed as the pool area was closed due to a function, but upon calling the manager did as much as he could to compensate (early check-in, late check-out, moved up floors,etc). The rooms (we had two - interconnecting) were great size. For such disgusting weather and being a long weekend, very busy the staff were excellent, friendly accomodating and professional. We had room service food, buffet breakfast downstairs (nothing else to do but eat with a mini-cyclone outside) and all were excellent. I agree with a previous comment that they need to sort out their demographic - we have 3 kids and it seems to be moving out of the family friendly market, with the pool being more suitable to the bar-type and although gorgeous, the restaurant is not really for kids and the CDB cafe downstairs is not really nice to sit in - its very bare and not inviting.

We would stay again, mainly because the staff were excellent, but they really need to sort out the family bit if that's who they are trying to cater for.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Monique R

Thank you very much for the positive feedback in relation to your recent stay with us here are Rydges South Bank Brisbane.

It has certainly been an interesting couple of week’s weather in Brisbane. It was very pleasing to read you have enjoyed you stay and the staff have been friendly yet professional. We try to accommodate each of guest needs to the best of our ability especially in situations such as a pool closure. The weather unfortunately played a very big part over the weekend raining on everyone’s parade.

Bacchus is a new venture for the hotel and something quite unique to Brisbane, whilst there have been issues noted regarding the demographic, I believe this will be resolved in the near future.

I would like to thank you again and certainly look forward to personally welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

This is one of the better Rydges Hotel I've stayed at. Neat, clean, it's right in the middle of South Bank. Visit the markets on friday night til sunday afternoon. The place to stay for sure. I'll be back there again when next in Brisbane.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Mark C,

Thank you for your pleasant comments surrounding your stay with us here at Rydges South Bank Brisbane.

I would have to agree with your review with as the South Bank precinct is an excellent place to spend a lazy afternoon, with over 50 restaurants within the vacinity and access to the arts and cultural hub of Brisbane.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Joel Gordon
Rooms Division Manager
Brisbane
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

Stayed here Australia Day weekend. Had to be moved to 5 different rooms. Mainly due to the lack of cleanliness of the room. After complaining, believe it or not, the second room they moved us to had what looked like blood on the door out to the balcony which lead us to the half empty beer and dirty towel which hadn't been taken off the balcony. This hotel needs some serious work done to maintain it's 4 star (I think) rating. There are heaps of maintenance issues like chips out of bath tubs, exposed metal on corners of walls, stains on couches and chips of of furniture. Some of the staff very friendly and helpful. Some were rude and uninterested in our situation. We ended up being refunded but as a consolation were given free breakfast each day which was a much better breakfast than my previous stays at this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Scott W, Senior Duty Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear Rikki-Lee B,

It was very disheartening to read the series of issues that lead to your disappointment with your stay here are Rydges South Bank Brisbane.

The Duty Manager on the evening arranged a cancellation of your booking through Wotif and made the decision to offer complimentary accommodation for the 3 nights along with breakfast and parking as compensation for the issues with the rooms. It does come with disappointment to see that despite our efforts there is still a review written of this nature.

Gold Coast Queensland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

My friend and I stayed overnight to attend the Cliff Richard show which was very conveniently located next door at the Convention Centre. The reception staff were very friendly and helpful. We arrived a little earlier than planned, but our luggage was stored for us and our car was valet parked. A phone call advised that our room was ready. The room was clean and bright - just what we wanted. And the beds were extremely comfortable. Room service delivery was quick.
We were located on the 5th floor facing the city and did get a lot of noise from the pool area, however that didn't worry us particularly as we were out for the evening. On our return from the concert at about 11.15, we were a little nervous about the volume of music coming from a nearby club(?). Needless to stay that stopped promptly at midnight.
All in all it was perfect for our needs. Although I only live on the Gold Coast, I would definitely stay over again when attending future concerts.

Room Tip: Just an added note, there is a pool area and as lovely as it was, it did not cater for middle aged w...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Scott W, Senior Duty Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear Siouxg1,

Thank you for the review regarding you recent stay with us at Rydges South Bank Brisbane.

It is pleasing to read our staff were both friendly and helpful. Customer Service is something I hold a true passion for, so it is very rewarding to read when it is being delivered.

Our newly refurbish Podium Level equipped with Bacchus Restaurant, Pool and Bar has been a welcomed addition to us. I am glad to see the music had stopped at a reasonable hour and it did not affect your stay.

I hope to welcome you both back to the hotel when the next concert you are attending is playing at the Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Centre.