“Friendly and relaxed” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #61 of 133 Specialty Lodging in Brisbane
Melbourne, Australia
“Friendly and relaxed”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012

I spent a few weeks at this hostel while doing some work in Brisbane. Very laid back and friendly. Everything is cleaned daily and there is a nice deck to socialize and eat. Good sized rooms and no squeaky beds here(they are welded) so nice quiet night sleep. Beer is cheap from reception for 3-4 dollars although its not a party place its cool to meet people. Easy walk into the city and supermarket and bars and cafes are very close by.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Mulder255100

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Alnwick, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

I stayed there for two days during my visit to Brisbane. I have stayed in hostels in Sydney and this one was really relaxed. The dorm only had 4 beds which as great! Very trusting. The showers weren't great, but a shower all the same!

Could do with lockers in the room, and our room only had one outlet, however there are outlets for charging phones etc in the main communal area. The only thing I would say would be that the bathrooms could do with paper towels as there was nothing to dry your hands with.
Apart from that, we had a friendly welcome, and it is definately worth paying that extra couple of dollars to stay here. Small and friendly, and pretty respectable.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Katie_W_13
Newbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

My partner and I needed somewhere reasonable to stay as we were relocating from overseas. Having stayed the previous year whilst backpacking I knew that it was clean, quite and friendly which is just what we needed as we were both working.
We were delighted to find that they had separate 1 bedroom apartments. The first night we stayed in a private room which was clean and everything you expect for a backpackers, it was a little cold and they had no trouble supplying me with an extra blanket. The only small thing I found that I like my cup of tea before I go to bed and the kitchen closed at 10, but I do suppose this is for safety and noise consideration and I was only there for one night so I survived. Note that the kitchen was always clean and the other residents were very respectful and helped keep it clean.
Ben took us to see the apartment before giving them a definite answer that we wanted to stay. The apartment was a little dated (lick of paint maybe) but otherwise clean and had everything basic you needed, including a proper oven! It also had a TV with a DVD player (just near coles is somewhere where you can hire DVD's) This place was perfect for us as we had alot of stuff! You do have to do your washing up at the hostel but that was never too much of an issue.
All the staff were so helpful, originally we were only supposed to stay for 2 weeks (min stay 2 weeks) but as our flat was not ready to move into we had to keep extending, we had no finite date, and once extended at the last minute. There was never an issue and they made our relocating so stress free!
The location is also fantastic short walk to a Cole's, cinema, restaurants and a pub! 10-15min walk to Roma street station (a main station) taking you into the city in a matter of minutes.
Overall our stay was pleasant and would send any of our friends there and if we were ever to relocate all over again (although i hope not) we would stay there again.

Thanks guys!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank GeorgeS93
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2012

I stayed there for 4 nights, 2 nights in a private bedroom and 2 nights in a 4 share.
Keep in mind, last time I stayed in a backpacker was 15 years ago...
While it is an old hostel, it is cleaned on a daily basis (twice daily, I believe, for the kitchen).
The 2 older (sorry mate! ;)) Aussie guys that run the shop were very friendly, and they also keep everybody in check so there was no anarchy and they kept good vibes going.
Even if the hostel was at full capacity, I never had a problem using the facilities (I didn't use the kitchen at all, so I can't comment on that).
The outdoor area is very good (nice views!) and it makes it easy to have a chat with other fellow travellers. I found out there was quite a few people that stay there for months so they must do something right.
There is a Coles supermarket at less than 3 minutes walk and also a fair amount of shops/bars/restaurants in the vicinity. It's 10/15 minutes walk to the city.
The shuttle from the airport to the door of the hostel is $20 (it's not called Skytrans by the way), the ticket office is just out of the airport, near the Virgin 'departure' sign.
Wifi is $5 a day, $7 for 2 (there is also a weekly rate), and it's quick and thru the hostel.
If I go back to Brisbane I will stay there again, as I heard some horror stories about the other hostels.
It's more of a 'grown up' hostel than a party place and that what I was looking for.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Alavotre
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2012 via mobile

Great outdoor areas, chilled out vibe and good setup! Our room smelt a little bit moldy but the vibe of the place and the people made up for it. Rooms could do with a bit of an upgrade but it is a backpackers afterall. Would definetly recommend banana benders to fellow travelers over other hostels in Brisbane.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Breezeinnbackpackers
Swansea, Wales, UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2012

We had searched online looking at various hostels throughout Brisbane from the UK as we were flying shortly after and needed a place to stay for a while. We really liked the look of Banana Benders, as well as the prices, so decided to give them a shout to ask them a few important questions.

The main question we had was if they allow late check ins as our flight actually arrived early hours of the morning in Brisbane, which is common and difficult to overcome on such long trips. We sent a message via email and had a very bold and rude prompt response which basically said 'No we don't do late check ins you'll have to find elsewhere'. This is a disgraceful attitude towards potential customers, so we have chosen to avoid this hostel due to its lack of customer service.

Perhaps others will meet better staff but being welcomed into another country is of utmost importance. So be aware!

Room Tip: Contact the hostel before you book to ask questions and make sure you are getting the right welcome...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank WalesDude86
BBenders, Manager at Banana Bender Backpackers, responded to this review, March 16, 2012
Sorry WalesDude86 but Banana Benders has been unable to find any record of our email exchange. We are particularly surprised someone would consider the wording of any email that Bananas would sent to potential customers as a "disgraceful attitude" - reading your post , you were obviously disappointed that we were unable to assist with your accommodation needs at that time. Please try again next time you're in Brisbane - you won't be disappointed (7.00-23.00)
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2012

I have stayed in many hostels all over the world, and also many hotels. I stayed in Banana Benders hostel for a period of three months in total.

Overall most of the staff were friendly but there were a few acceptations. There are two managers that run the hostel, I found that one minute they’re friendly, and ten minutes later they’re quite confrontational. They regularly have backpackers and family working at the reception that always seem to do a good job.

The rooms were generally fairly good. Some were tiled and some are carpeted and they were always kept clean. They are generally spacious. I only stayed in four dorms during my entire stay.

The kitchen seemed to always be cleaned. It was shut for a few minutes a day for a full clean. It was fully equipped with a fair amount of room to store your food. It needs a bit of extra room, but only when the hostel was very busy.

Despite some of the reviews claiming there were not enough toilets, I found the amount to be adequate enough. They were always kept clean and were checked several times a day.
The terrace has good views and there are normally plenty of people to talk to on the terrace. They also have a T.V. room with a wide range of films and digital T.V.

Overall I found this hostel to be one of the cleanest I have stayed in. I could find little room for improvement. Coles is only a three minute walk away. And Roma Street station is probably ten minutes away.

Room Tip: A four bed is the better option, and there is no price differance.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo