“A very good hotel but poor room allocation”

Travelodge Hotel Garden City Brisbane
Ranked #45 of 157 Hotels in Brisbane
Melbourne
“A very good hotel but poor room allocation”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

One would hope that being booked by a travel agent, with half a dozen work colleagues staying at the same time, with previous history at this hotel one would not be booked right next door to the elevator. Not happy and hence the poor rating. Australian Hotels and repeat guests must be treated with respect. It was noisy, loud and lead to a lack of sleep.

That being said its a very good hotel but I had a poor experience.

A very good hotel in that the 'extra's are no existent or limited' no room service, in room dining, mini bar, or decent wifi at a fair price.

That being said the room size, bedding, bathroom, tv, pillows and staff are excellent and I have no problems in that regard.

But a bit of care for business travelers. One expects better.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Sleepy_Holidays
tgcy, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Garden City Brisbane, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear Sleepy_Holidays

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent return stay at Travelodge Garden City.

I appreciate all comments made and am pleased I was able to update your profile and advise in writing previously, our action moving forward for your return stays.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Surfers Paradise, Australia
Reviewed July 3, 2013

We stayed in a double bed room for $129. The bed was pretty comfortable :) In the room there is a small fridge, microwave, small table and two chairs, a tv and a bathroom. We were very happy with the rooms cleanliness and felt we couldn't have got much better value for our money. There is a mini cafe/restaurant down stairs that does breakfast at a cost. Only 15 mins out of the city, close to a train/bus station and also only a 5 minute walk to a large Westfield shopping complex. Enjoyed out stay and would recommend for the price :)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
tgcy, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Garden City Brisbane, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear Cass94

I appreciate you taking the time to offer feedback regarding your recent stay at Travelodge Garden City.

Travelodge Garden City stands by its mantra, friendly, clean and value for money, so I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and would recommend to others.

Galway, Ireland
Reviewed July 1, 2013

This is a lovely clean and comfortable hotel. It is also great value for money. There is a bus stop right outside the front door of the hotel and $7 will get you into the city centre, its about 15 mins away.

We were not expecting what we got. The rooms are lovely and spacious, it has a fridge, microwave,etc. the basic essentials that you need to have a nice breakfast in the morning and a snack in the evening. There is a laundry service in the lobby, computers with good internet speed and also some vending machines for snacks and ice creams.

Unfortunately everywhere was booked up the few days we were in Brisbane, so we had to stay in alternative accommodation the last 2 nights, but I definitely preferred the Travelodge to anywhere else we stayed in Brisbane.

We will definitely stay here again the next time we visit Brisbane.

Room Tip: We didn't have any noise issues and we were on the 2nd floor so any room would be nice to stay i...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tara418
Dear Tara418

I thank you for taking the time to offer feedback regarding your recent stay at Travelodge Garden City.

All comments made are greatly appreciated, not only by myself but the team as well. My team at all times strives to exceed the guest's expectations and I am very happy this has occurred.

I do look forward to welcoming you back, when next you travel our way.

Sunshine Coast, Australia
Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

PROS
* Foxtel and flat screen panel TVS
* modern decor
* bar fridge and microwave
* comfy beds
* a bit of a walk to Garden City Shopping Centre and several dining choices: Hogs Breath, Toscanis, Beach Club, an Irish pub etc

CONS
* $25 charge for Internet use in your room - unsatisfactory in 2013
* on site breakfast a bit pricey

That said, one of the nicest hotels on Brisbane's southside. Easy access to Gold Coast freeway.

• Stayed June 2013
tgcy, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Garden City Brisbane, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Dear Ozeeboy

I understand and empathise regarding the charges for internet, $11.95 for 1hr, $19.95 for 24hrs etc, there is however the option of a coin operatored internet cafe as well as 15 minutes free internet in the lobby every 24hrs.

Moving forward we are trying to minimise the costs to guests for the in room internet.

Paris, France
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We stayed 2 nights at Travelodge Garden City so we could visit Brisbane. The room was nice and comfortable with a view on the parking though... Bathroom also nice but not that clean... The parking is free which is very appreciated. It's a bit long too reach Brisbane CBD but direct with a bus.
The very negative point for me was that I booked online and was charged twice. I discovered it because my card was declined when I did shopping. When I asked the receptionist she said to me I'll get my money back within the night but when I checked the following day, it wasn't done. I actually had to wait 6 days to receive the money back!! What was the most shoking was that I didn't get any apologies or commercial gesture although this mistake really put me in a bad situation....

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gabouche
tgcy, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Garden City Brisbane, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear Gabouche

I understand and empathise with your frustration due to the duplicate charge to your credit card, this was purely human error. Your same day of arrival reservation dropped into our hotel system and both the front desk and reservations team members actioned the booking at the same time. Immediately realising this had occurred, a refund was processed on your credit card. I am very surprised to hear that it took six (6) days to process, when the action was done in-line with the actual charge and for this I apologise for all the inconvenience caused.

I understand my Senior Duty Manager spoke to yourself at the time to clarify/explain what had occurred.

Based upon this incident, procedures have been reviewed to avoid any reoccurrence.

Should you wish a further review, please do not hesitate to contact myself via the hotel.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

A classy downtown location this is not. This hotel is located in a plain suburban setting adjacent to one of the many construction zones forming a bewildering patchwork across Brisbane at the moment.
But don't let that put you off. Despite a very reasonable room rate the rooms are a good size and quite pleasantly appointed, clean and fresh. The area is not actually noisy. Furthermore the readily accessible express bus service to the centre of Brisbane is mind-bogglingly efficient and quick, comparable to staying in say the West End (though without the city atmosphere). And there is a large shopping centre almost adjacent to the hotel, with a range of eating places (the hotel does not have a restaurant, just a breakfast room) and a cinema. Hotel parking is not a problem and is complimentary.
What is not complimentary is wi-fi, which is annoying considering so many venues and cafes provide it free these days. The price is unreasonable and it should be complimentary in accordance with international practice. Also, the breakfast buffet, while acceptable, is no more than that, rather basic and lacking in flavour, and the quality doesn't really justify its price. However the hotel does have some mollifying $2 breakfast deals.
All in all this place is an option worth considering for a budget trip to Brisbane.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Baudolino

Thank you for taking the time to offer feedback regarding your recent stay at Travelodge Garden City.

Travelodge offers clean, no frills and friendly service, with regards to the Wi-Fi, I understand your frustration, however at present charges do still apply with the additional option of 15 minutes free Wi-Fi in the lobby every 24 hours - it is a start.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future, should you be travelling this way.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed June 20, 2013

We had a good stay at Travelodge Sydney so we thought of giving Travelodge Garden City a go for our stay in Brisbane. The best thing about our Travelodge experience is how well-maintained it is and it's comfy rooms. We truly appreciate the overall ambience. Travelodge Garden City is a bit off the CBD and city centre but bus stops nearby makes the city accessible with their various bus services (150 or 160 to the heart of the city). Best thing is the huge Westfield Mall right beside it which has nearly everything you need there. Only downside to our stay was that there weren't anyone amongst the hotel staff who offered my husband a hand in handling our large luggage up to our room when we arrived. I remembered my husband had to stack up all 6 large luggage and several small ones on the hotel trolley and had to push them up himself while the hotel staff watched on. A little act of kindness would go a long way, I would say. But, apart from this incident, our stay at the hotel had been good.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear YanYanRuz

Thank you for offering feedback regarding your recent stay at Travelodge Garden City.

I am pleased to hear you have enjoyed your stay and support the Travelodge Hotel Brand which offers clean, comfortable and friendly service.

I look forward to wecloming you again to the hotel, when next you travel.