“Great location, clean, shame about the barmaid”

Base Brisbane Uptown
Ranked #78 of 138 Specialty Lodging in Brisbane
Reviewed April 13, 2014

We stayed here as the location is perfect, just a minute from Roma Street station, in the middle of areas with bars etc. The bar underneath the hostel is cool, reasonably priced. The rooms are basic, we had a private twin with en-suite and it was fine. I thought it was quite clean for a hostel.

I would have rated 5 out of 5, but we had a really bad experience at breakfast just before checking out. There is a poster in the elevator advertising a cooked breakfast for $8 (normally $12) to guests of the hostel. It says 'just show your room key'. On checking out I asked the reception guy if I should keep the room key for now, to show at breakfast and get the discount. He said that it wasn't necessary and the bar staff would know we had stayed. We went up and ordered the discounted breakfast and was told in a very rude manner by a very snooty barmaid that we should have the room key card to qualify. I explained what we had been told at reception and she basically looked at me as if I was lying and said 'No that is not right' in a really snooty tone. I told her I'd go back through and get a key card and she said that she would let us off this time!! As if she was doing us a favour. I nearly told her to keep the breakfast....but I was really hungry. The breakfast came and it was fine, good value.

All the other staff in the hostel and the bar were great, it was just her horrible attitude that spoiled the end of our stay. If that was my business I wouldn't let her anywhere near customers!! For info this was 10am on 13/04/14 and the girl was in her 20s with blonde hair.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Jennifer D, Manager at Base Brisbane Uptown, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2014

Hi Smudger82,
Thanks for taking to advise of your experience. First of all I'm glad the hostel was up to your standard and your experience in that regard was positive. Conversely, it is disapointing to hear about your negative experience in the bar when ordering breakfast. We do not excuse bad customer service or a bad attitude - consequently we have looked into this matter in the aim that it will not happen again in the future.
Apologies for what was a bad finish to an otherwise great stay.
All the best and travel safe.

There are newer reviews for Base Brisbane Uptown

Reviewed April 8, 2014

Good location, right across the road from the transit center and a 10 minute walk from the city center, shops and lagoon.

The bar attached generally closes around midnight so no loud club noises until 4/5am.

Kitchen is very clean and doesn't have dirty pots and pans hanging around.

All dorm rooms are en-suite which is very handy.

Room Tip: Pay an extra could of dollar for a 6 bed dorm and share your bathroom with less people. If you ar...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Jennifer D, Manager at Base Brisbane Uptown, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2014

Hi Carrie-Anne R,
Thanks for the review. I'm glad the location was great for you, we are very conveniently located. I'm also glad the bar, kitchen and dorm ensuites were all suited to you, our aim to ensure every guest is comfortable and catered for.
We hope to see you again soon.
Safe travels and all the best.
Regards,

Reviewed March 29, 2014

So I have been travelling through Australia for a while now, and have not stayed in such a bad and smelly hostel until I stayed here.. I stayed in a 13 bed dorm, it was TERRIBLE! the smell when entering the room, no windows that could be opened to actually ventilate the room, people living there for ages and thus live like pigs and a disgusting ensuite bathroom that is filled with molt and bugs and had to be shared with the entire room.. (they did not have any other shower options outside the rooms). In addition, the kitchen was the worst ever, you could not cook properly and i'm not sure if they do this on purpose or not just to make you go to their.restaurant and buy their daily specials.. but calling this hostal a CHAIN is just outrageous!

If you would want some tips, here you have some:
1. Stay basic and make sure lockers are not to be used with codes or anything, it breaks and thus there is not enough lockers for the entire room.

2. PLEASE PLEASE add some toilets and showers outside the room somewhere in the building, coz waiting on your turn for taking a shower is NOT COOL.

3. tidy up the rooms and ventilate! why did you do this? the smell is so gross, it won't get out through the aircon :-(

4. the stoves.. could you like change it? or fix it? its unclear which one has been switched on, since first of all its not clear which one you are switching on?

5. Throw old broken furniture away and don't just store it at the end of a hallway, it looks trashy for no reason.

I think these are the main points, I hope you will try to keep some details in mind for future guests to make their stay more comfortable as mine was.

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank Buikje

Hi Buikje,
Thanks for taking the time to write such an emotive review, needless to say your time here was less than ideal so let's tackle some of your concerns.
Having travelled through Australia "for a while now" I pressume you've stayed in a few hostels so can appreciate that dorm mates can be luck of the draw. Our 13 bed dorm is actually not used for long term stay so perhaps you just had bad luck with the people in the room. I assure you our housekeeping team have very high standards and will ensure that people are tidy, respectful and clean. Due to the design and building resrictions of this property it is not possible to have opening windows, consequently all rooms are air conditioned. I do personally check our rooms daily and if they are not up to standard then I won't sell them, it is therefore very regretful to hear of your experience.
As for the kitchen, I need more details to address your concerns. It is definitely not our intention make people buy daily specials however.
Responses to tips:
1. The coded lockers are being removed and new under bed lockers installed.
2. We are bound by the confines of the building. Unfortunately it is not as simple as 'adding' additional toilets and showers as this involves major construction work. The ensuites for all other rooms are adequate, by the nature of the 13 bed dorm (we only have one) its ensuite experiences added pressure which our team are aware of and are consistently trying to mitigate.
3. This was dealt with above. It is a building restriction here that the property must be sealed. Our air conditioners and extractor fans deal with ventilation issues, I'm sorry that you had a bad experience but this is usually not an problem.
4. Signs have been put above the stoves indication which knob is for which hot plate.
5. Old furniture has been removed.
I'm sorry you had a bad experience here. We aim to set a high standard so reading your review is concerning. I wish you had come to speak to us and given us a chance to solve your problems while in-house. We want every guest to leave with positive memorable experiences. After all, you are on holidays having the pressumed 'time of your life' and nothing should get in the way of this.
All the best for the future and safe travels.

Reviewed March 8, 2014

Is it possible to be worst than that?

-you have to pay for WiFi (ok...) BUT no WiFi in the room! What tge heck is that?
-no free locker.. Only very expensive one in the middle of the hallway (how dare they calling themselves a hostel chain)
-we were 8 in a room which (compare to the 20+ other hostels we have been) has the capacity of 4 or 6 at worst. We felt like cattle
-bathroom is dirty and very old
-to have electricity in your room your need your card plugged in (like in a private room). You can imagine the mess

Put 4 $ more and get a decent hostel

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Romain1136493

Hi Romain1136493,
Thanks for taking the time to write your considered and constructive review.
1. Obviously I'm not sure what room you were in but our wifi does span virtually every room with the exception of a couple. Had you come and seen us about this we would have happily helped you.
2. At the moment we are in the process of having our lockers changed so in the meantime our $3 per day lockers are all we have. Again, had you come and seen us we would have been happy to help with this by looking after any valuables.
3. I'm sorry you felt like livestock, not our intention, some people do spead out more then others and our housekeepers do remind people to keep their belongings tidy.
4. I assure you that our bathrooms are cleaned daily so perhaps someone using it prior to you that day was overly grubby, I will still endevour to personally check this however.
5. The card to activate power is to save electricity when there is no one in the room. In any case most people just use other old cards if they don't want to use their room key so this problem is easily solved.
I'm sorry this was the "worst hostel ever", luckily things can only get better for you.
Safe travels and all the best.

Reviewed March 6, 2014 via mobile

Had a short 2 night stay here in early March. I was booked into a en-suite 4 bed dorm which was very spacious. I ended up being the only person in this room until late on my last night, so it was certainly nice to not be disturbed for most of my stay! The beds themselves are quite comfortable, and the air-con in the room works very well. The hostel Wi-Fi costs $4 for 24 hours and works pretty well throughout the hostel, although it works best in the foyer. Overall, I had a good stay and I would definitely stop here again!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo

Hi SourEnvy,
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. Your constructive comments are much appreciated.
We look forward to having you back soon.
Kind Regards,

Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 5 nights in a 6 bed dorm. The room was very well air conditioned, spacious and clean. Basic but comfortable!
The cleaners came in each morning and cleaned the bathroom and hoovered the floor.
The kitchen also seemed very clean and well stocked with cooking utensils for guests to
use.
Location was perfect for us, right by the transit centre and a small walk away from the city centre!
The only one thing that would have improved our stay would be if there had been more seating to eat at, the seating area was often busy and filled with people lying down across seating watching tv meaning there was no where to sit and eat our meals!
Overall we enjoyed our stay and would recommend this hostel!

• Stayed: January 2014
Jennifer D, Manager at Base Brisbane Uptown, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2014

Hi Kelly2112,
Thanks so much for leaving a constructive and practical review. I'm glad the dorm and kitchen were up to your standards, if you are going to engage in shared accomodation it needs to be clean and comfortable and it is our top priority to provide this.
Your comment on the eating common area is definitely a fair one and we are aware of this, consequently we are currently looking a re-model/refurbishment to make it a better space.
Thanks again and safe travel.
-The Base Uptown Crew

Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

Sooooo close to bus centre! Perfect! The reception service is great, in particular the girl with American accent is fantastic. Our room on first night was clean however some inconsiderate people had decided to let their luggage literally explode throughout the 10 dorm room. It was a state therefore we thought we would upgrade to enjoy a day of luxury as backpackers...in a twin room! The price was reasonable they were happy to exchange at short notice and in the morning we checked out of one room to move. We were told we could do this check in at any time by the night worker. However we couldn't due to availablity. The receptionist didn't hesitate to ring housekeeping to clean the room immediately...without us even contesting! 20mins later were in a lovely clean room! Perfect! Thanks! The adjacent bar had good breakfast offer..the common area could do with more comfy seating maybe?

• Stayed: February 2014

Hello backpackingtree,
Thanks so much for leaving a review, it's very important to us to recieve guest comments such that we can fine tune the hostel experience here. I'm so glad your transition to a twin room was hassle free and swift. It is always our intention to get people settled into their rooms ASAP so I'm glad that we could do this for you.Furthermore, I'm jubilated that you found the reception service to be great, we pride ourselves of staff-guest interaction so I'm glad you pointed this out.
As for the common area, thanks for the suggestion, as it happens we are currently looking into a refurbishment of that whole area.
Thanks again for your review and safe travels.
-The Base Uptown Crew