“Great Time!”

Ranked #88 of 127 Specialty Lodging in Brisbane
Sydney, Australia
“Great Time!”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

All right my overall experience here has been fantastic. The staff are super helpful and all of them are really friendly. The people that stay here are all really friendly as well and I made a bunch of new friends. They cleaned the place every day. The kitchen did get messy some times in the evening but that was from everyone cooking and it was cleaned by the staff the next day. The location itself is great, the value is great, and the bar was good at having different things going on and having deals for people staying at the hostel. There isn't any alcohol allowed in the hostel but I like that because I found there wasn't too much loudness going on so I was able to sleep. The rooms were a bit tight squeezed but it was fine. The only main complaint that I would have is that there needs to be more plug ins in the rooms. Beyond that my stay was great and I extended it even.I plan on staying here when I come back to Brisbane.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Korean first
Northern Ireland
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Apart from the kitchen, the rest of the hostel is clean with a great little bar below it however they just try to squeeze too many people into each room! There is barely any room for luggage (or to swing a cat!) I'm sure if they took out at least one bunk from each room it would be a much nicer place to stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Traveled over for State of Origin Game III July 4th 2012. I have to say my wife did all the research for accommodation for 7 of us family members. She chose well because 1. we didn't want to waste a lot of money on expensive hotels we saved $$$ staying there which was spent on other things like gifts to take home. 2. Excellent location to everything,Suncorp,CBD,Transit. ,Subway, KFC, restaurants ,shops & cafes all round us very short walking distance. 3. The Tin downstairs was awesome great meals & beverages at reasonable prices. Game night we met up at the Tin with all our families from Brisbane going to the game. Convenience for after drinks from the game & just head upstairs to sleep. From my experience staying there I thought it was great. Our room was good slept well, but then we didn't do a lot of that was out exploring the city. Internet & WiFi was cheap. The staff were friendly & very helpful because our niece arrived from Perth into Brisbane early as we were checking in late and they checked her in & gave her directions to everything around her. We appreciated it as they went out of their way to look after her. We arrived at 11pm and was greeted by Matt at reception who was friendly & settled us in. I enjoyed my first time stay at a backpackers and recommend anyone to go stay there even if it's just for 1 night. The transit is just outside the door. Well done Tinbilly!!

Room Tip: We stayed on level 4 room nice & quiet
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Luvsen F
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed July 7, 2012

First time travelers to Brisbane from NZ for State of Origin Game III. (7) we booked for 3 nights 8 dorm. I searched & checked out most of the hostel's in the area on the internet & chose Tinbilly because of the cheap room prices & location it was close to everything just walking distance to CBD,Suncorp,Transit & also because of *The Tin* downstairs. We basically just needed somewhere to sleep & keep our luggage while we checked out Brisbane. The staff were great & helpful, Room was pretty good and clean & I slept well. On suite was cleaned & rubbish removed everyday. The Tin bar staff were kind and friendly we ate there every night awesome yummy food. We didn't use the kitchen & lounge room but it looked okay so I can't really say much there. I would recommend Tinbilly's & definitely stay there again..it is what you make of it, your paying pennies for good accommodation. Instead of finding little things to complain about get over it!! LOL!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Niue_made
Liverpool
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Travelled to Oz 5 times in last 5 years, and stayed there everytime I was in BrisVegas! Aslong as you meet the right people/or travel there with right people, it's amazing. I've seen it change since 2004, and it's a good location. A lot better than most backpacking places in CBD

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank iangeegan
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed July 2, 2012

big kitchen and large common area, easy to meet people however, very big hostel. in front of peterpans travel agency = free wifi thats always cool. very helpfull staff. i would goo back

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Vansi1989
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 7, 2012

Stayed one night in a four bed dorm with partner ahead of catching an early bus out of Brisbane
The Good
Location is right opposite transit station and very close to all the things in CBD. Definitely good if you need to catch an early bus
4 bed dorms were reasonable size and have ensuite of comfortable size attached.
Have a lift

The bad
Only have one kitchen was cramped with one large fridge and half the hobs not working while we were there. Not enough utensils for everyone cooking in there
Did see a few cockroaches in the room and generally not the cleanest hostel we have stayed in

Stay again? Possibly if needed to be close to town centre/catching early bus.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AGosrani
Jennifer D, Manager at Base Brisbane Uptown, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
Dear Guest,

I wanted to say a big thank you for taking the time to review our hostel it is much appreciated.
I just wanted to let you know our kicthen is back in full action and the reason a few hobs were not working on your stay was due to the fact we were waiting on a part to arrive. We were as eager as all the guests to finally recieve it! The kicthen has been fully stocked with utensils too! We do a weekly kitchen check so I'm not sure why you were missing some pots but I do apolgize.
Regarding cockroaches we have just had a complete service of the building but were unable to find any but we do apogize again if you did we have a strict procedure on this and take it very seriously.

I hope you have a great remainder of your travel in oz!!!
Again thank you for the review I have taken in everything you have said and really appreciate hearing feedback!