“Book @ Tinbilly & save $$$”

Base Brisbane Uptown
Ranked #76 of 139 Specialty Lodging in Brisbane
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Traveled over for State of Origin Game III July 4th 2012. I have to say my wife did all the research for accommodation for 7 of us family members. She chose well because 1. we didn't want to waste a lot of money on expensive hotels we saved $$$ staying there which was spent on other things like gifts to take home. 2. Excellent location to everything,Suncorp,CBD,Transit. ,Subway, KFC, restaurants ,shops & cafes all round us very short walking distance. 3. The Tin downstairs was awesome great meals & beverages at reasonable prices. Game night we met up at the Tin with all our families from Brisbane going to the game. Convenience for after drinks from the game & just head upstairs to sleep. From my experience staying there I thought it was great. Our room was good slept well, but then we didn't do a lot of that was out exploring the city. Internet & WiFi was cheap. The staff were friendly & very helpful because our niece arrived from Perth into Brisbane early as we were checking in late and they checked her in & gave her directions to everything around her. We appreciated it as they went out of their way to look after her. We arrived at 11pm and was greeted by Matt at reception who was friendly & settled us in. I enjoyed my first time stay at a backpackers and recommend anyone to go stay there even if it's just for 1 night. The transit is just outside the door. Well done Tinbilly!!

Room Tip: We stayed on level 4 room nice & quiet
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Luvsen F

Reviewed July 7, 2012

First time travelers to Brisbane from NZ for State of Origin Game III. (7) we booked for 3 nights 8 dorm. I searched & checked out most of the hostel's in the area on the internet & chose Tinbilly because of the cheap room prices & location it was close to everything just walking distance to CBD,Suncorp,Transit & also because of *The Tin* downstairs. We basically just needed somewhere to sleep & keep our luggage while we checked out Brisbane. The staff were great & helpful, Room was pretty good and clean & I slept well. On suite was cleaned & rubbish removed everyday. The Tin bar staff were kind and friendly we ate there every night awesome yummy food. We didn't use the kitchen & lounge room but it looked okay so I can't really say much there. I would recommend Tinbilly's & definitely stay there again..it is what you make of it, your paying pennies for good accommodation. Instead of finding little things to complain about get over it!! LOL!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Niue_made
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Travelled to Oz 5 times in last 5 years, and stayed there everytime I was in BrisVegas! Aslong as you meet the right people/or travel there with right people, it's amazing. I've seen it change since 2004, and it's a good location. A lot better than most backpacking places in CBD

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank iangeegan
Reviewed July 2, 2012

big kitchen and large common area, easy to meet people however, very big hostel. in front of peterpans travel agency = free wifi thats always cool. very helpfull staff. i would goo back

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Vansi1989
Reviewed June 7, 2012

Stayed one night in a four bed dorm with partner ahead of catching an early bus out of Brisbane
The Good
Location is right opposite transit station and very close to all the things in CBD. Definitely good if you need to catch an early bus
4 bed dorms were reasonable size and have ensuite of comfortable size attached.
Have a lift

The bad
Only have one kitchen was cramped with one large fridge and half the hobs not working while we were there. Not enough utensils for everyone cooking in there
Did see a few cockroaches in the room and generally not the cleanest hostel we have stayed in

Stay again? Possibly if needed to be close to town centre/catching early bus.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AGosrani
Jennifer D, Manager at Base Brisbane Uptown, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2012

Dear Guest,

I wanted to say a big thank you for taking the time to review our hostel it is much appreciated.
I just wanted to let you know our kicthen is back in full action and the reason a few hobs were not working on your stay was due to the fact we were waiting on a part to arrive. We were as eager as all the guests to finally recieve it! The kicthen has been fully stocked with utensils too! We do a weekly kitchen check so I'm not sure why you were missing some pots but I do apolgize.
Regarding cockroaches we have just had a complete service of the building but were unable to find any but we do apogize again if you did we have a strict procedure on this and take it very seriously.

I hope you have a great remainder of your travel in oz!!!
Again thank you for the review I have taken in everything you have said and really appreciate hearing feedback!

Reviewed June 6, 2012

My boyfriend and I (both backpackers) were living and working in Brisbane for two stints during our RTW trips. Due to the length and location of our employment, it made sense to stay centrally in Brisbane, which quite frankly is Tinbilly's only advantage! Actually I lie... the MAIN advantage for us was that this accommodation is so mismanaged we were actually able to share a single bed for 13 weeks without any member of staff noticing! (Backpackers 1: Tinbilly's 0).

If you would like an honest review, this would be it.

- Abysmal! If reception is in fact manned... then you are lucky! The majority of the reception staff were rude, lazy and to be quite honest thick as two short planks (with the exception of the rather helpful, laid back Dutch guy who seemed high on life,,, or something most of the time). We will return to "service" later when I mention HOUSEKEEPING (if you can call it that).
- The hostel does have a bar attached (the Tin) which to be fair is pretty decent, live music, cheap food and drink, and the compulsory backpacker competitions (which are rigged). You will receive daily updates on what is going on via the whining, rat like promotion/MC guru who will make your ears bleed through the public address system located in each room.

Value/Rooms
- Rates in 2011/12 varied depending on room size, ranging from 4 beds to 13! Take our advice if you want to save money, share! Doubles are the going rate for central, but they are no frills so if you're looking for some comfort - shop around!
Safety deposit boxes (if they work) are available, I would use them - a drug dealer that lived in the hostel at the time of our stay, often stole. You have been warned.

Sleep Quality
- Adequate, if above mentioned rat, housekeeping, live music or other travellers do not keep you awake! (To be fair... this is only to be expected in a Youth Hostel so we will gloss over that one).

Cleanliness
- Downright Disgusting.
- See extra category "Housekeeping" for details.

Location
- Cannot fault it. 100% perfect. About 20m from Roma Street stations and Transit Centre. 5 minutes walk to main shops on Queen Street. Half hour walk or 5 minute train ride into the Valley for bars/clubs.

Swimming Pool
There isn't one! Short walk across the river to lagoon in Southbank.

Fitness Centre
None. But there is a fire escape that staff conveniently open up when the lifts break down (which is daily). Be careful where you tread however, as during our stay fellow backpackers used to frequently urinate and defecate there!

HOUSEKEEPING
Bed linen - Clean pillow cases and top sheet laid out for each new guest. This is all. Duvets are never washed, just refolded. Bottom sheets are inspected after each departure, and if deemed "okay" then they are reused again and again until someone, pukes, pisses or periods on them thus making obvious the need for change. My advice, if you find yourself in the unfortunate position of having to sleep here, ask for new sheets regardless!
Bathrooms - All en suite. No bleach or detergent is used in the toilets/showers. I'll let you picture the scene (and smell!). Hair, old toiletries, tissue and other bathroom lovelies frequent every corner. Once every few weeks they may "blitz" and throw anything away in sight, therefore it is best to keep your stuff separate to avoid it being thrown away.
Floors/Hallways - Rarely hoovered properly, hair dust and rubbish covers all! Many previous guests stuff litter underneath and in corners and remains there until you get fed up with looking at it.
Kitchen - Taps leaking, blocked drains, faulty appliances, no extractor fan. Dirty! Hot! Smelly! I wouldn't recommend making more than a piece of toast in there!
The "housekeepers" were lazy and rude. There was clearly no pride in their work, to be honest there wasn't really any evidence that they did actually work!

In conclusion, if you are just passing through Brisbane, a stay at Tinbilly's may make an interesting conversation topic for your onward travels, however I would only recommend if you need to make a quick escape from the Transit Centre in the morning!

Sorry Tinbilly's I do not rate you!

Happy Travels...

Room Tip: Try and stay in number 10 - this is a "value room". 5 beds, AUD $21 a night... the cheapes...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Blueeyes_85_k
Reviewed May 17, 2012

jumped of the train at Roma Street and just had to walk across the road. Jenny at reception was really friendly and hint of an irish accent. good stay thanks

Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review. I'm really glad you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for mentioning me in your review.You are correct I'm Irish and am always happy to help!

Enjoy the rest of your travels and come back and see us again soon!