“A lot of charachter, nothing special”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Somewhere to Stay

Somewhere to Stay
Ranked #82 of 127 Specialty Lodging in Brisbane
Brisbane, Australia
“A lot of charachter, nothing special”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

At first I was worried because the hostel is not right in the city of Brisbane, however the West End was quite nice! A lot of cafes and places to eat, and only 10 minute walk from the city. The hostel itself wasn't anything special, a bit run down but no bad experiences to speak of. My boyfriend and I had a private room and were shocked with how big the balcony was! It was worth the money. The kitchen was very nice, great cooking facility. There are a couple of hammocks outside to lounge in, as well as picnic tables everywhere. I found that this hostel was a bit cliquey, and didn't meet a lot of people. The only negative experience we had was with the night time worker, as he was rude and kind of a jerk. There were quiet hours after 10 (because it was in a neighborhood) but the man working kept lurking over us and yelling at us for being too loud (when he was the one being loud). I felt like I was being babysat. Besides that the other staff was great and I really enjoyed being in the West End! Stay there for a day or two, but that is all.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank becki c

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

If your going to Brisbane, I would recommend another hostel!

This one is dirty and smelly. I slept in a 8 person dorm room, the room was too tiny, with really bad air. I leaved after one night, even though my plan was to stay for four days.
The staff did not charge me for the days I didn´t sleep there though, which was good!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Ceciny

Travelers are raving about these Brisbane hotels

Bentota, Sri Lanka
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

it's really far away from the centre of the city, really dirty and yellow sheets and really bad pillow,
very unconfortable beds, and the staff was not kind and friendly as we expected from australians...
DO NOT GO THERE..
maybe don't go to brisbane it's nothing special, just cement over cement...in roma street there are many hostel closer to the city and friendly staff...if you are planning to go to brisbane avoid SOMEWHERE TO STAY and choose some other hostel

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

The place is a horrible dump. It smells and looks like it's falling apart. The rooms didn't seem very clean. The shower was hopeless and the light kept going off. They advertised on-site parking, which is in reality not available. Nights were very noisy. However, staff was friendly and there was a bus to the city every hour.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Paris, France
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

Hi,

I had seen many positive comments about this backpacker hostel. I had spent a couple of days there and I still do not understand those comments. Personally, I had been chocked... The room was terribly dirty (especially mattress and pillow) and smelled awful. I had to share the room with some guys who were quite unfriendly (on this point I cannot say this is related to the hostel itself).

I asked for some info to the guy at the desk, and he was terribly rude (I was really chocked)! Impossible to sleep during the night, the guys all around were making a lot of noise , drinking all night long. Some of them drank so much that a fight started and the police had to come.
I would say the hostel owners have some responsibility: they should at least try to impose some rules so that everybody can enjoy the stay. Unfortunately it was not the case there.

I have to say that I had stayed in other backpacker hostels in the country and it was the first time I have seen such a horrible place. In the other places there was a minimum of rules control and the rooms/beds were clean...

Hope this will be helpful ;)

Cheers

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

I am a local and temporarily homeless following the sale of my beautiful home near Maleny due to a relationship breakdown. Following the sale I escaped to Bali for a few weeks but had booked SWTS when I returned as it would be cheap while I looked for suitable rental in inner Brisbane. One night was enough!

I got a single room with a bunk bed and a plastic mattress. The pillow slip was dirty, the lighting and bedding inadequate and an unpleasant odor permeated the room. It quite literally stank and I think a stay in a prison could not have been much worse.

The carpet felt dirty under foot and was covered in filthy stains.

I also think the place would be a death trap in the event of a fire.

I decided to go the night without showering rather than using the communal showers.

The next day I flew to Sydney to stay with my family. I would rather fly between Sydney and Brisbane to look for accommodation than stay at SWTS.

Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Carmel S
Lummen, België
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

The staff is very friendly. Free shuttle bus many times a day.
Room size is okay (we stayed in a twin room), but the flooring is terrible: an old carpet with many many stains on it, gross! Room could use some shelves or cloth hangers.
A lot of noise at night, we had to sleep with earplugs!
You have to rent your set of plates and cutlery, which i can understand, but i don't get why it is plastic? That's disgusting.
The bathroom is not clean at all, hairs from somebody who shaved were in their for days.
The sanitary bin for ladies is the same bin all the others have to use (not okay if you're a guy).
If you're hungry, go to the street where 7 Eleven is and walk until you see 'Jackpot' Chinese, VERY good! And very cheap. (big portions)

Room Tip: Just go to another hostel :)