“Suits budget travelers who aren't fussy”

Kangaroo Point Holiday Apartments
Ranked #109 of 143 Specialty Lodging in Brisbane
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Someone booked this place for my partner and I and we weren't keen given the reviews and traveler photos on here. We stayed with another couple in a 2 bedroom apartment in June 2013. It was OK for the price in terms of having a comfortable place to sit and sleep. The road noise was less noticeable after one night. My only gripes are cleanliness, the dindgy bathroom and over kill on condescending signage throughout the apartment warning you of how much you're up for if you do this or that. The bathroom was the worst with barely any light, dirty screens and general 'icky' feeling. Being clean is one of the most important things; you don't need to be reminded of how many others you're sharing the toilet and shower with. Price shouldn't dictate cleanliness.

In terms of location, it's only a ferry stop across from shopping and restaurants. Everything is pretty close in Brisbane.

I would recommend this only for budget travelers who aren't particularly fussy.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sandra O

Reviewed June 30, 2013

A couple of us went to Brisbane for a girls weekend away.. as it was a bit last minute we had limited choice, and the reviews of this place didn't give me too much confidence, but i booked a 2 bedroom apartment. The apartment we got was clean and relatively new. Nice little outdoor area and everything you would expect from a service apartment.
The only thing i would agree with from some of the other reviewers are yes it is noisy as it is right next to a major road.. the good news is it is very close to Southbank about a ($7) cab ride, also if you walk about 2k down the street you can catch a free ferry ride to south bank, there is also a major bus station about a block away.. but if you have 2 people or more it is cheaper to catch a cab as the bus ticket are about $4.
happy travells

Room Tip: our apartment for apartment 30 next to the pool.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Poorany
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed here for four nights in March. I had read the reviews on here so I wasn't expecting much. The traffic was really loud so we had to keep everything closed up.

The bathroom was old, with lot's of cracked tiles. I showered with thongs on because it didn't look all that clean.

The beds were their saving grace-very comfy!

The rooms were quite small but it was fine. They had everything you needed for a quick stay. We were able to walk down to Southbank, the local shops, local pub etc. So it was nice and central, but next time I think I would pay a little more to stay somewhere nicer and away from the traffic.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room away from traffic
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank katandscar
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Our family of 4 stayed at the lodge for 5 days while in Brisbane. The location is convenient, close to the South Bank Parklands and the Gabba cricket field. It is a budget accommodation so do not expect perfection. The street is busy in the day. The rooms are comfortable but dated.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 23, 2013

The worst place I have ever stayed in any country! The room was dirty and smelled terrible when we entered, the furniture was chipped and not maintained, there were marks all over the walls, spiders and cockroaches in the shower, black marks on the toilet, no screens on the windows which I had to open to try and get ride of the smell. There was long black hair all over the main bed and stains on the bedding on all three beds. Everything was covered in dust and cockroaches crawling around everywhere.

I went to reception and informed the receptionist that our room was dirty he checked a log and said the room had been cleaned, he said the cleaner had gone home for the day and he could offer me new sheets (to change myself) I asked if the cleaner could come through the next day (we were staying for 5 days and they don't clean your room if your staying for this amount of days) he said yes.

I decided I wanted to check out and asked about the refund policy he informed me we could get out money back except for two days because we had to give 24 hours notice. He then called later and informed me because we booked through wotif we had to go through them, I called and they informed me they needed permission from the manager of the hotel for us to get a refund, they called and the receptionist told them he wasn't the manager and couldn't not authorise this. I went to reception asking to speak to the manager I was informed the manager is not contactable on weekends and I would have to wait till Monday and all they could do was send him a txt or email. I asked if he could be contacted earlier as I was going to check out on the Sunday and if the manger said we couldn't have a refund then we would only find out after we have checked out and lose all our money, they said there was nothing they could do.

Also the small fire alert boxes which you smash the glass if a fire breaks out had a scrap piece of paper on it stating it was out of order and to call 000. This was rather alarming..

The next day no one came to clean our room like they said they would I could tell because there were still dead bugs on the floor in the shower. The traffic was very loud and you could hear everything going on upstairs. WORST stay ever!

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Rebecca M
Reviewed January 10, 2013

The apartment we stayed in was good. It's a bit noisy in the morning with all the traffic on the main roads. If we had had one of the apartments towards the back of the property it wouldn't have been so noisy. Pools were great and clean. The location is what this the place has going for it. We walked down to the ferry to catch to Brisbane and then walked home from Southbank. Shops are just down the road with Maccas and KFC just over the road. Would recommend but ask for apartment at the back of property.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Located on a busy road, traffic noise is quite intrusive, especially after about 7.00am. But that's not the only noise issue. For whatever reason, the kreepy-krawley in the swimming pool seems to be always connected in the skimmer box and with the pool located right beside the unit block that we stayed in, as soon as the pool pump cuts in (at 8.50am when we were there) the noise and vibrations resonate right through the unit.

Room Tip: Avoid unit 19.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family