“Superb dining”

Ranked #71 of 4,635 Restaurants in Brisbane
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Malt is a luxury three level food, wine and dining experience focused on rustic sophistication. Located in the iconic Wenley House on Market Street.
Reviewed March 17, 2013

After a last minute decision we walked in off the street and were instantly made welcome. Excellent service with suggestions and recommendations for different dishes. Superb terrine and fabulous quail tart followed by excellent duck and rabbit mains. All rounded off with a mouth watering apple tart and cheese platter. Could not ask for a better meal with great service in an amazing setting. Thank you!

There are newer reviews for Malt Dining

Reviewed March 13, 2013

I don't like leaving negative reviews, in fact apart from a frightful experience in a Cambodian hotel, I never have.

However... Malt was recommended by a few friends and I wanted to give it a try. We were just going for an evening out, no special occasion or anything.

I must note I think that most problems in restaurants can be resolved by a bit of patience, understanding and a more relaxed disposition. So I really tried.

The food here was good and the atmosphere was really lovely (guy on the piano was good). That's unfortunately where good points stopped there.

I really wanted it to work, but it didn't. In short the service was bad. So bad in fact it actually spoilt the evening for me. This is because I spent the vast majority of my time trying to get somebody's attention.

There was enough staff if I'm honest but they all kept doing somewhat of a fake survey. There was a brief acknowledgement of the time taken to order and a 'how was your meal' but that was it. No how was your meal at the end etc. I likely would have complained if somebody asked me but the guy answered the phone whilst taking payment, so that was the end of that

We didn't stay for desserts and even ended up sharing a glass of wine after my partners glass was taken away with wine still in it! This I'd when it turned for me and my patience became thin.

The staff were pleasant (definitely not rude or anything) but just not attentive - at all.

Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

Something about this restaurant was lacking. We quite couldn't pin point it, ambience was fairly dull with an annoying piano player stuck in a fairly small room which made it hard to hear conversation. Service was great as was the food. The thing that would make me never return was that you had a fine dining restaurant with unisex toilets. No respectable woman wants to use a toilet which has urine sprayed all over it, especially when she is dressed in an expensive outfit and shoes. Yuk. For that reason we won't be returning. A shame really.

Reviewed March 9, 2013

We come to Brisbane every summer (winter at home) and try to dine in many downtown restaurants while we are here. We are delighted to have found Malt, based on reviews in Trip Advisor. The food and the wines (and scotches) were superb. We particularly enjoyed the ratatouille fritters, but my our mains (duck) were superb. The service was tremendous, and we lingered for a very long time over desserts and dessert wines without anyone being the least perturbed at our late departure. A wonderful evening.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

Went here with friends for a birthday dinner, the restaurant put a "Happy Birthday" card on the table, which was cute :)

Had the scallops, duck & cherry souffle - all amazing. Would definitely return for the food - was yum! The only two things I wouldn't rave about are the brownie (not the dense chewy fudge I expected but a kind of chocolate ice cream thing) and the creme brulee (had some kind of sour plum jammed in the middle, when really what you want is delicious creamy goodness). But everyone's entrees and mains looked gorgeous on the plate and mine all tasted pretty darn good.

Waitress explains every dish that comes out, which is nice and good service I guess... but I did read the menu when I picked what I wanted? Kind of pretentious, but I guess they're just adding a level of service that I personally don't need. Cute atmosphere, sitting upstairs in an attic. Bar downstairs is dark, cocktails are done well.

Would return - food definitely worth it.