“Not my first choice”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Brisbane City YHA

Brisbane City YHA
“Not my first choice”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

Let me start by saying my husband and I have stayed here many times, but sadly we always leave saying, "don't want to stay there again" yet we keep going back. But I do hope the last time was truly my last. Our room smelt so bad it stunk of a pile of sweaty old shoes, so bad I couldn't sleep. We always have to wait so long to be served at reception because there just never seems to be enough staff. Others staying at this hostel seem to be a consistently inconsiderate type, every time without fail my husband has had to yell, "shut up" down the hall in the wee hours of the morning at drunken loud idiots. Well why do you keep going back you must ask? The location for us is fantastic, just a short walk to train station which takes you anywhere you want to go, the airport being our usual destination and its cheap. People say, "well you get what you pay for" but we travel a lot and have stayed in many many Yha's they are a great alternate accommodation choice, but the Brisbane City Yha is my least favourite.

• Stayed March 2013
AnoukVDV, Operations Assistant at Brisbane City YHA, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Reenynb,

I am writing in response to your customer feedback submitted to YHA regarding your stay at Brisbane CIty YHA. We take all customer feedback very seriously and appreciate you taking the time to write to us.

At outset I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused by the smell you experienced in your room and the noisy guests, as this is not the usual feedback we receive. Since your feedback I have spoken to the hostel manager who has made me aware that all rooms get deodorised on checkout as part of the cleaning process. However he will address the issue with the housekeeping staff, to ensure that this situation doesn't occur again. To ensure your stay is more comfortable next time you stay, please report any after hours noise complaints to our night manager on duty or our 24 hour reception.

Also please ensure that you let us know during your stay if there are any issues, so we have a chance to fix your issues at make your stay more enjoyable.

Thanks again for your feedback, it is a valuablle tool which assists us to monitor our performance.

Kind Regards,

Anouk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Bali, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

I was staying in YCH Brisbane to minimize the expenses and I agree with other people opinion on this Hostel which was a bit more pricey than other hostels but it was great and safe. If it was in Nordic country I could spend forth times than what I spend in Brisbane.Nice Bar in the front and reception staff was very friendly and helpful. Although there was no TV in the room, but with a reasonable internet price I can have chats home and easily access to internet. Service wise was great and faultless.I will recommend YCH Brisbane to my friend and I will be be staying here again next time.

Room Tip: YHC located In upper Roma Street and just 10 minutes walk to down town
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

The shower head placement and water pressure had the effect of what I imagine a small gerbil releasing its bladder on my shoulder would feel like. The way this hostel numbers it's floors and rooms is like some sort of rubix cube to figure out. The people that work there have personalities like from an Alice in wonderland tea party. The price was like a punch in the gut. Over all this is place is a joke. It's hard to find a decent place in Brisbane but its worth the extra research to not feel like ur in some sad backwards circus.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Alisamike
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

Nice hostel, we stayed in room 601 - a 6 bed w/ ensuite which was really neat. Bit more pricey than other hostels but it was safe & clean.

Our room was fairly hot though, and the window wasn't able to be opened and there was no free standing fans available.

Kitchen area was nice, bit small for the size of the hostel but it worked. Really nice patio area and plenty of eating space. Pool as well!

Great location, grocery stores & bottle-o's nearby and close to downtown.
Didn't pay for internet because there is a Peter Pan just down the road. Membership is $3/year and you get unlimited internet! Too easy!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Airlie Beach, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

The hostel was in a good location only 5 mins walk from roma street station. The staff were friendly and helpful. Good facilities and great view from the roof. Unfortunately its like staying on a railway line, the room I stayed in was basically on the railway line so got hardly any sleep as the trains were going past til about 2am then started again at 5.30am!!! and its just where they start braking to slow into the station so very high pitched squeaky scraping sound. I fit wasn't for the noise I would really recommend this hostel. The rooms on the other side of the building would probably be ok though!

Room Tip: not one next to the railway line, not room 615.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
montreal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

I stayed there end of January 2013. Rooms are big, have lockers for everyone (huge locker for your backpack), beds are comfortable with clean linen and big Windows, the bathrooms are cleaned regularly and I never had difficulty to take a shower and the common area are perfect for travellers.
The kitchen can be busy during rush hours and not necessarily clean, but at other moment it is perfect to cook and they provided for you kitchen appliances and fridge.
I didn't try the poo; but people told me it is better to go at the lagoon in Brisbane city.
The Tv room is a really good idea but some people don't know how to live in common and will talk during a movie.
For the rest, I didn't used every thing there but I had the feeling I was in an hotel compare to other hostels!!!
And you have a grocery store not far from the YHA and it is easy to access downtown Brisbane.

Room Tip: Try to avoid rooms on the 3rd floor close to the main door to access the room area as people are not...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Oregon, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

Fairly good for a hostel. Our room was larger than normal which was nice. No window but there was a glass brick 'window' to let some light in. There was AC which was great. The staff are very friendly and helpful. Our only real 'complaint' was the shower. The shower head is fixed in place and aims right at the shower door. It takes awhile for the water to heat up. Any time one opened the door to check the temp, a flood of water came out. If they could change the angle of the shower head that small problem could be corrected. Not fun to dress on a sodden bath mat or wet floor.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends