“You get what you pay for”
Review of Sapphire Resort

Sapphire Resort
Ranked #151 of 168 Hotels in Brisbane
Reviewed August 2, 2014

This is definitely a case of getting what you pay for.
The staff were nice enough but stuffed up my booking twice. The room was less than average and half the power points didn't work.
The rooms weren't cleaned at all during our stay.

BUT - the only thing that made our stay there worth it was Cafe Briz and the Chinese restaurant on the property. The food was fantastic large sized meals and cost us $10 a meal which was amazing!

• Stayed: July 2014
There are newer reviews for Sapphire Resort

Reviewed July 13, 2014

And that's the only plus.

For what we paid, we expected a bit better.

It is very budget, no tissues in the room, sad old mattress and air con, and terrible bathroom.

Staff are a bit rude, and you didn't feel very welcomed.

It's a short 5 min walk to boundary st, with plenty of great bars and restaurants and that's the only thing it has going for it.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere!
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 24, 2014

the manager at this hotel is aggressive and rude and the staff are incompetent. even though I had booked and paid in advance I got no further than 5 minutes conversation with the 3 counter staff when I decided to get my money back and stay somewhere else.

first they said I wasn't booked. then they found the booking, I signed, all good.

then they wanted $150 deposit for the room key. I said "you didn't tell me that when I booked: I don't have $150 until I get paid tomorrow". I offered to leave my debit card instead: he refused that. and started shouting at me. he claimed that the hotel down the road charges $250 key deposit and people are happy to pay it, which I suspect was a complete lie. at this point I demanded my money back and got it (on my card, not in cash).

this guy knows nothing about customer service. in the 5 minutes I was there I saw him alienate not only me but my entire group plus the guy in front of us. this place is just like Fawlty Towers except not funny.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank jewel169
Reviewed May 18, 2014

Location is good, walking distance to west end shopping district, and restaraunts and southbank and train station. close to bus stops too.
Its a budget hotel standard room $80, its quite well run. Has old style aircon and basic facilities- dont know why they bother with a pool. There is a reasonably priced restaraunt downstairs with better than average opening hours. You dont want to loose keys here there is a hefty call out fee.
Annoying that you just cant ring up and book a room to get a good price and you have to go through a internet portal to get it. Reception is only manned till 10pm?

Room Tip: If your carrying luggage think low floor.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank greg n
Reviewed May 8, 2014

My partner stayed at the hotel 3 days ago. He said it wasn't much of a hotel and that he had stayed in better in small country towns. They took $150.00 dollars as quick as lightning from our bank account as a security deposit. We have stayed in many top hotels all over the world and have never had the security deposit actually taken from our bank account. Any hotel only takes an imprint of your credit card, that's all that's needed. It's been 3 days now and we have not received our $150.00 refund back into our account. The manager offers no apology for this. Instead keeps insisting it is the banks fault. There is no hold up with my bank, it's only waiting to receive. It's not a good situation and one that should not happen.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Karyn H
Reviewed May 4, 2014

Clean, comfortable and close to places I needed to go to while I was in Brisbane. The downside is that it's quite basic and the layout of the place makes carrying luggage a real hassle. I would hesitate in calling this a resort; it's more accurately described as a motel. I didn't get a chance to try out the pool, though. Very friendly staff

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank pondo873
Reviewed May 3, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Sapphire Resort last night and were not disappointed. The room was spacious and quiet and the staff very helpful. We also took advantage of the undercover secure parking (not all spaces are undercover). There is a small balcony, a bar fridge, hairdryer, very useful bench for our bags, a sink and tea and coffee-making. We took an afternoon stroll around the West End shops and the interesting weekend market. In the evening we walked the 200 metres to catch the bus on Melbourne Street to QPAC for a ballet performance. It is definitely 3-star and probably would have rated a little higher in its heyday. We have already booked a return visit on booking.com which does not charge for the service. By the way, breakfast at Cafe Britz was first class.

Room Tip: As there is no elevator ask to have the first or second floor and access your room from the front e...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple