Sapphire Resort
Hotels.com
$149
$144
  • Room Service
Hotel Grand Chancellor Brisbane(Brisbane)(Great Value!)
$82
$73
  • Pool
Mantra South Bank, Brisbane(Brisbane)(Great Value!)
$124
$120
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
Hotel Jen Brisbane By Shangri-La(Brisbane)(Great Value!)
$93
$86
$110
$107
$80
  • Pool
All reviewswest endbudget placecar parkcitycolesundercovereateriesconvenience
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

Great location, served its purpose well. If you want 5 star don't stay here. Lots of cheap eating and a supermarket near by. A small kitchen is also at the hotel for use if you want to cook something. Overall great value for brisbane. Book through their website you will get a better rate.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank robothrobo
Reviewed March 20, 2013

If you have no other choice and with limited budget then this is will be your last resort. It is just a motel, and definitely is not a resort. Bed is not comfortable. TV is very old, fuzzy colour when it is switched on and need of replacing. There is a small fridge in our room which is not functioning too greatly, not cold. Furniture is old and room is very average. Room is not being cleaned unless we asked the housekeeper to do it. We noticed only 1 housekeeper is on site during our 6 days stay. There is a Chinese restaurant at site, where food is just very average. And a cafe on site as well, where food is just average too. There is no lift, but just stairs. They required us to pay $150 deposit upfront in case if we lost our room key. Sucks. We stayed here because its location is not too far from Boundary Street at West End where you can find many restaurants, Southbank and CBD (city) where you can walk to get there in around 20 minutes. A short walk to catch public transport such as buses.

Room Tip: If you travel for 3 people (a couple and another adult/child), choose a queen/single room which is a queen bed plus a single bed in the room.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Phillip S
Reviewed March 19, 2013

If your like us and can't afford a 5 star or even a 4 star but like clean bathrooms and sheets no noise and lovely staff then this is the place for you. Close to convention center, museums suncorp stadium and resturants.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Raylee C
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Don't be fooled by the words Sapphire and Resort. This is not a jewel nor is it a resort in the palm trees and and golden sands sense of the word. However it is a good, if basic and slightly tired budget motel. The front desk staff are friendly and polite and the rooms are a bit run down, with a hint of dampness but OK for a couple of nights. The onsite cafe does a cheap and cheeerful breakfast.
The biggest advantage of the Sapphire is its proximity to the bars and restaurants of West End and ease of access to the city by foot, bus or rail. I stay here a lot. I don't have high expectations when I pay a low price, but I do know good value when I come across it!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Stayed at sapphire twice for work (in feb 2013 & march 2012), great location in that its only about a 5 min walk to the office. And that's the end of the positives..

Staff are incredibly rude, I travel a lot for both work and pleasure both with Australia and internationally, and I've stayed in some 'interesting' places, but this rated in the top 10 for poor service both times - I excused it last time as I was too tired to care and I figured that everyone has a bad day every now and then.

$150 key deposit is a bit rich, but what's even worse is they keep your credit card number on file - about 12mths between my last stay and this one and the receptionist quoted my credit card number to me and asked if I wanted the deposit taken out of the same card.

I didn't eat at the restaurant last time, but I did this time, my entree consisted of 2 small crumbed prawns - both under cooked (the crumbs were pasty instead of crunchy and they tasted odd, obviously after the first mouthful, I didn't eat them). My main was salt and pepper calamari with fried rice - both were so oily I couldn't eat them (the calamari seemed to be coated in a really thick beer batter - not really appropriate for the dish and the oil it was,cooked in, which was easily picked out as an individual flavour because of the amount tasted old and dirty). The coke I ordered was obviously on tap and their system REALLY needs to be cleaned/serviced/replaced (it actually tasted mouldy and really watery again sent back minus but 1 or 2 sips). I tried for ice cream for dessert but it tasted tainted (like someone had put it in a freezer containing meat with the lid off) again I didn't eat it. So after sending 3 dishes back barely touched, which after the first two in any other restaurant would have got some sort of reaction from staff, I complained and the girl just looked at me as if she didn't speak English (despite speaking perfect English when seating me and taking my order).

The tv only has 3 channels (9, SBS & 7 - but with all of them the reception was so bad you couldn't actually watch them). The surfaces in the rooms (bench tops etc) appear clean, but its kinda hard to tell because they are so worn, the carpets are filthy, and the things like the top of the toilet roll, picture frames and trim around the tiles in the bath room are filthy, the shower is mouldy, the walls are covered in marks and the rooms STINK. Each of the rooms have their own balcony, with 2 (well only 1 if you don't count the one that's broken) chair, but the are too small to be of any use, you can't sit the chairs facing the road, and if the person who is sitting further eat front he door wants to head inside, both people have to go and because they aren't wide enought I pass each other.

Also if you have any mobility issues, or heavy bags, try tot get a ground floor room as there is no lift just stairs.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business