“overnight stay”

Ranked #143 of 159 Hotels in Brisbane
Caloundra, Queensland, Australia
“overnight stay”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

If your like us and can't afford a 5 star or even a 4 star but like clean bathrooms and sheets no noise and lovely staff then this is the place for you. Close to convention center, museums suncorp stadium and resturants.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Raylee C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Cooroibah
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Don't be fooled by the words Sapphire and Resort. This is not a jewel nor is it a resort in the palm trees and and golden sands sense of the word. However it is a good, if basic and slightly tired budget motel. The front desk staff are friendly and polite and the rooms are a bit run down, with a hint of dampness but OK for a couple of nights. The onsite cafe does a cheap and cheeerful breakfast.
The biggest advantage of the Sapphire is its proximity to the bars and restaurants of West End and ease of access to the city by foot, bus or rail. I stay here a lot. I don't have high expectations when I pay a low price, but I do know good value when I come across it!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Mackay, Australia
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Stayed at sapphire twice for work (in feb 2013 & march 2012), great location in that its only about a 5 min walk to the office. And that's the end of the positives..

Staff are incredibly rude, I travel a lot for both work and pleasure both with Australia and internationally, and I've stayed in some 'interesting' places, but this rated in the top 10 for poor service both times - I excused it last time as I was too tired to care and I figured that everyone has a bad day every now and then.

$150 key deposit is a bit rich, but what's even worse is they keep your credit card number on file - about 12mths between my last stay and this one and the receptionist quoted my credit card number to me and asked if I wanted the deposit taken out of the same card.

I didn't eat at the restaurant last time, but I did this time, my entree consisted of 2 small crumbed prawns - both under cooked (the crumbs were pasty instead of crunchy and they tasted odd, obviously after the first mouthful, I didn't eat them). My main was salt and pepper calamari with fried rice - both were so oily I couldn't eat them (the calamari seemed to be coated in a really thick beer batter - not really appropriate for the dish and the oil it was,cooked in, which was easily picked out as an individual flavour because of the amount tasted old and dirty). The coke I ordered was obviously on tap and their system REALLY needs to be cleaned/serviced/replaced (it actually tasted mouldy and really watery again sent back minus but 1 or 2 sips). I tried for ice cream for dessert but it tasted tainted (like someone had put it in a freezer containing meat with the lid off) again I didn't eat it. So after sending 3 dishes back barely touched, which after the first two in any other restaurant would have got some sort of reaction from staff, I complained and the girl just looked at me as if she didn't speak English (despite speaking perfect English when seating me and taking my order).

The tv only has 3 channels (9, SBS & 7 - but with all of them the reception was so bad you couldn't actually watch them). The surfaces in the rooms (bench tops etc) appear clean, but its kinda hard to tell because they are so worn, the carpets are filthy, and the things like the top of the toilet roll, picture frames and trim around the tiles in the bath room are filthy, the shower is mouldy, the walls are covered in marks and the rooms STINK. Each of the rooms have their own balcony, with 2 (well only 1 if you don't count the one that's broken) chair, but the are too small to be of any use, you can't sit the chairs facing the road, and if the person who is sitting further eat front he door wants to head inside, both people have to go and because they aren't wide enought I pass each other.

Also if you have any mobility issues, or heavy bags, try tot get a ground floor room as there is no lift just stairs.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Nelly8282

Travelers are raving about these Brisbane hotels

Murwillumbah, Australia
Reviewed December 25, 2012

The Sapphire Resort has been taken over by the Chinese red brigade. With militaristic precision after photo verification, presentation of licence and a surety of "$150 dollar which will be repay tomorrow when leave", we are given a "free coffee voucher" which "entitle you to one free standard white coffee to be had prior to day of departure at Coffee Shop during business hour", "voucher must be sign before staff member for verification of ownership"...."enjoy stay". Needs a real upgrade. A clean of the stairwells of "foreign matter" might be in order. Now that my favourite Edmonston Motel has closed it would be worth paying a few extra dollars somewhere else.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Geezerart
Bishops Stortford UK
Reviewed November 30, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights (why?) in early November having booked in September. I was gobsmacked to find on arrival that they had already taken the money for the whole stay at the moment of booking. They then demanded a 150 dollar security for the key(!!!!) which would not be released from my card until 1 week after our departure. Everywhere there were signs urging economy - water, electricity, whatever. Our feeling was that money rather than hospitality is all they are interested in.
This motel was highly recommended in Lonely Planet but I doubt they have ever stayed there. Its position relative to facilities and the CBD was good, but the room was awful. Just about clean but that was difficult to tell given the aged and worn carpet and decrepit and stained furniture. And there was virtually none of the catering equipment normally found in motels. There was a "kitchen" with a microwave but nothing to eat from - hopeless.
The pool area and pool were far from inviting with the fallen tree debris having not been cleared for some time
Its one redeeming feature was the excellent Chinese restaurant alongside with a special meal deal for residents. We were the only non-Chinese people in a crowded restaurant - that speaks volumes about the food.
My recommendation therefore is avoid the hotel but eat at the restaurant.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Cavan R
Hyderabad
Reviewed November 25, 2012

I checked into Sapphire Resort earlier this month. I was in Brisbane on conference at the convention center. I'd landed from a long 30 hour journey from India. To top that, I'm about 5 months pregnant. When I arrived at Sapphire I was told that the room will only be ready at 2pm and I had a pre-conf workshop I had to attend at 1:30pm. I mentioned this along with the fact that I was pregnant. The front desk was so kind, understanding and efficient - I ended up waiting only 20 minutes for my room. They had even got me the ground floor room, since I was less keen on taking the stairs each time I had to come back to the room.

Room: I had the Queen room which was big for one person, will definitely be good for 2. The washroom was very clean and sufficient. I particularly enjoyed the hot water shower after my journey! They have basic toiletries. The TV is a let down with very limited channels, as was the unkempt balcony. But I wasn't complaining being that I would be at the conf for the most part of my stay. They had tea and coffee making facilities, along with a small sink to wash up. The bed linens were clean and housekeeping was pretty prompt everyday.

Location: It was close to some nice restaurants and only a 10-15 minute walk to the convention center and the South Brisbane station. There are cpla supermarkets near by - Coles and I think it's called IGA.

Rules: The only quirky rule was that they locked up at sharp 9:55pm. One of the front desk guys was locking up right in front of us and wouldn't let us in! I found that amusing and not annoying, for some reason. I ended up having to take a long and windy route to my room via the stairwell.

Resto: Their Cafe Briz was closed for renovation. I didn't try the other restaurant.

Pool: I actually got pretty excited about this feature but was very let down. The pool clearly was unused - it was very very dirty.

Overall: It's definitely a good place - perhaps not the most fancy one. It serves the purpose of people coming to watch a play, on work etc.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank wheelsinmyfeet g
Montville, Australia
Reviewed September 28, 2012

This is our third visit to Sapphire Resort and my second review. The first time we had a room at the back which was great. The second time we were at the front and were woken pre dawn by the laundry trolley going up and down the ramp - it sounded like a skateboard! This time I asked for a room at the back and we got what we asked for. Again, the place is clean and good value for $99. The staff were courteous and friendly so perhaps they took the advice of other reviewers and got rid of the rude one! We have never had any problems with staff courtesy. We like the proximity to the Lyric Theatre, only about 15 minutes to walk there. Plenty of options for dinner just down the road. We have now dined twice at Cafe Mesa, a great Greek restaurant. Breakfast at the cafe in Sapphire resort was good value and very nice.

The key deposit was put straight back into my account in the morning - I don't know why anyone would have to wait 3 - 5 days for it.

I think some reviewers are expecting too much from an older style three star motel! You get what you pay for here!

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel. The area is a busy city place so don't expect silence.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple