“Convenient but awful”

Ranked #143 of 157 Hotels in Brisbane
Bishops Stortford UK
“Convenient but awful”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights (why?) in early November having booked in September. I was gobsmacked to find on arrival that they had already taken the money for the whole stay at the moment of booking. They then demanded a 150 dollar security for the key(!!!!) which would not be released from my card until 1 week after our departure. Everywhere there were signs urging economy - water, electricity, whatever. Our feeling was that money rather than hospitality is all they are interested in.
This motel was highly recommended in Lonely Planet but I doubt they have ever stayed there. Its position relative to facilities and the CBD was good, but the room was awful. Just about clean but that was difficult to tell given the aged and worn carpet and decrepit and stained furniture. And there was virtually none of the catering equipment normally found in motels. There was a "kitchen" with a microwave but nothing to eat from - hopeless.
The pool area and pool were far from inviting with the fallen tree debris having not been cleared for some time
Its one redeeming feature was the excellent Chinese restaurant alongside with a special meal deal for residents. We were the only non-Chinese people in a crowded restaurant - that speaks volumes about the food.
My recommendation therefore is avoid the hotel but eat at the restaurant.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Cavan R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Hyderabad
Reviewed November 25, 2012

I checked into Sapphire Resort earlier this month. I was in Brisbane on conference at the convention center. I'd landed from a long 30 hour journey from India. To top that, I'm about 5 months pregnant. When I arrived at Sapphire I was told that the room will only be ready at 2pm and I had a pre-conf workshop I had to attend at 1:30pm. I mentioned this along with the fact that I was pregnant. The front desk was so kind, understanding and efficient - I ended up waiting only 20 minutes for my room. They had even got me the ground floor room, since I was less keen on taking the stairs each time I had to come back to the room.

Room: I had the Queen room which was big for one person, will definitely be good for 2. The washroom was very clean and sufficient. I particularly enjoyed the hot water shower after my journey! They have basic toiletries. The TV is a let down with very limited channels, as was the unkempt balcony. But I wasn't complaining being that I would be at the conf for the most part of my stay. They had tea and coffee making facilities, along with a small sink to wash up. The bed linens were clean and housekeeping was pretty prompt everyday.

Location: It was close to some nice restaurants and only a 10-15 minute walk to the convention center and the South Brisbane station. There are cpla supermarkets near by - Coles and I think it's called IGA.

Rules: The only quirky rule was that they locked up at sharp 9:55pm. One of the front desk guys was locking up right in front of us and wouldn't let us in! I found that amusing and not annoying, for some reason. I ended up having to take a long and windy route to my room via the stairwell.

Resto: Their Cafe Briz was closed for renovation. I didn't try the other restaurant.

Pool: I actually got pretty excited about this feature but was very let down. The pool clearly was unused - it was very very dirty.

Overall: It's definitely a good place - perhaps not the most fancy one. It serves the purpose of people coming to watch a play, on work etc.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank wheelsinmyfeet g
Montville, Australia
Reviewed September 28, 2012

This is our third visit to Sapphire Resort and my second review. The first time we had a room at the back which was great. The second time we were at the front and were woken pre dawn by the laundry trolley going up and down the ramp - it sounded like a skateboard! This time I asked for a room at the back and we got what we asked for. Again, the place is clean and good value for $99. The staff were courteous and friendly so perhaps they took the advice of other reviewers and got rid of the rude one! We have never had any problems with staff courtesy. We like the proximity to the Lyric Theatre, only about 15 minutes to walk there. Plenty of options for dinner just down the road. We have now dined twice at Cafe Mesa, a great Greek restaurant. Breakfast at the cafe in Sapphire resort was good value and very nice.

The key deposit was put straight back into my account in the morning - I don't know why anyone would have to wait 3 - 5 days for it.

I think some reviewers are expecting too much from an older style three star motel! You get what you pay for here!

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel. The area is a busy city place so don't expect silence.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Darwin, Australia
Reviewed September 13, 2012

The hotel staff are very friendly and efficient. Room was quite clean, though the furnitures were a little old. Guess you pay for the bare minimum as opposed to first-class hotels. There were at least 40 flights of stairs, so ladies, be warned NOT to wear heels while carrying your suitcases up and down the stairs. No wake-up call in the morning of my check-out which was disappointing. Otherwise, I enjoyed my stay in a cosy little hotel.

Room Tip: Try choosing rooms not facing the main street of Brereton St.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Jacklyn N
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed August 11, 2012

We were at a two day conference at Convention Centre, arriving around 7.30 am, I phoned the night before and asked if we could leave our car there and check in early evening, no problem! it was a huge help to us. The 2 menbers of staff we encountered were lovely friendly and very helpful.
It's a short pleasant walk to the Convention Centre.
We really just needed a bed for the night, we had a twin room and we both thought the beds were very comfy.
It's basic accommodation, nothing flash but as a cheap bed for the night it was spot on.
We also left our car during the second day and picked it up when the conference was over, that was such a saving in itself.
$150.00 key deposit was no biggie, refunded on checkout.
Lots of lovely interesting restaurants really close by.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank artyart84
Gold Coast, Australia
Reviewed August 3, 2012

We stayed for one night at this hotel while we were attending a 2 day event at the Brisbane Convention & Exhibition Centre. We expected to only sleep in the room and could not see any good reason to part with lots more money to stay at the big name hotels in this part of town. We paid $99 and it was worth every cent. Parking is included, that alone is worth about $50 per day! We arrived at 8am and did not expect to be able to check in but we were able to leave our car safely parked. When we checked out at 7am the next morning we were also allowed to leave our car until the afternoon. While the room was not luxurious it had a clean comfortable bed & a good shower. Easy walk to the Convention Centre. Lots of restaurants and bars in this area to choose from. Great value for money. The $150 key deposit seems extreme but it was refunded on check out so no complaints in this regard.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed June 21, 2012

Stayed here for 1 night for a sports event at Lang Park In June.

Basic standard rooms, although bed was not overly comfortable, very well priced. 15 minute walk to Lang Park.

$150 charge for key was as advertised, but no different to any other hotel which takes a charge for incidentals.

Got what we paid for - will use again!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple