All reviews budget hotel rooms are small stayed here for one night location is great across the road
Reviewed June 30, 2018 via mobile

I took a groupon for a mini break for 15/14 year olds and the photos looked
Fab.
From the start the room was dated and a little smelly. The bathroom is minuscule and the warm showers turn everything wet, including the toilet paper . There are not enough blankets for the hard beds or any coat hangers . None of us had one good nights sleep which was frustrating as we were exhausted from
Lack of sleep the night before. But the icing on the cake is that their idea of a wake up call is a loud knock to the quests front door, repeatedly until
They wake , Awakening the rest of the floor at 3, 4 am In the process.
Don’t do it, do yourself a favour and spend the extra $30-$40 a night for someone decent.
This is little more than a overpriced, glorified hostel..

Stayed: June 2018, traveled with family
2  Thank LandH123
ManagementCEBNE, Manager at City Edge Brisbane Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2018

Dear L and H

Thank you for spending time to write this review.

Although you did not mention in your review that you have previously stayed with us few years ago. From your brief description of booking channel & travel purpose, we were able to locate your booking & room details, and we remember you & your lovely family.
Once again on behalf of City Edge Brisbane Team, we would like to thank you for choosing our property again.

It does come across as a surprise reading this review from you, since a lot of the negative points would have been promptly attended if you have brought to our attention. Our guests' comfort is of utmost importance. Anything that is within our reasonable control, we'll treat them as priority. We also remember that you have a very outspoken & bubbly family, we wouldn't imagine there's any communication issue.

We want to apologise if you were disturbed by the possible early morning door knock. We have double checked on the system and with our staff members on duty, there was no wake up call scheduled for both mornings that you stayed.

Our repeat guests number has been rapidly growing over the years & especially within the last 12-18 months. As a repeat guest, you would realise that we are in a beautiful heritage building. Guests choose to come back to this property, because they appreciate this building's history, unique room layout & design, location & super friendly small team. We don't have few hundred rooms like other high rise hotels, but we are willing to & have been going out of our way to assist our guests in this boutique property. Because you deserve our attention.

Have a fabulous week to you & your family.

Warm Regards,
Team @ City Edge

Reviewed May 13, 2018 via mobile

Yes it's old. It's not the ritz. The rooms are basic, the shower tiny. BUT - this place was called completely as advertised. We stayed in room 106 - a mate and I just needing a bed each after a night out watching football and hitting the pubs.

Considering its location it is extremely good value.

They are completely up front on the size of the room right through the booking process and even sent a personal email after booking to call out the size of the room (and the cabin-style bathroom). They completely went above and beyond to set expectations (even for people that didn't read the room details properly at booking).

I'm 188cm and 125kgs and yes the bathroom was completely tiny (the shower in particular) but no worse than some European hotels (where they say you can "sit", shower and shave all at once). The rooms were expectedly adequate. A few beds, a cupboard and mini-fridge. Nothing more, nothing less.

Look - if you're taking the family or a special someone, this is not for you. But shame on you if you're paying less than $100 (to sleep up to 5!!!) and expected anything more.

The wall paint has some scratches, dents from the door handle, paint faded. But that doesn't mean the room wasn't clean (it was). There were a few cracks in the bathroom.

If I was paying $300 I'd obviously expect more. But for less than $100 all I want is a clean room, bed with fresh sheets, functional bathroom and a lock on the door. The staff were friendly and efficient at check in.

Don't expect anything more than you paid for and you will be pleasantly surprised. I'll be back next year.

Ps. Good location does not mean "a view". You're not paying for a view. Good location just means you're close to city attractions.

Stayed: May 2018, traveled with friends
3  Thank GlennPrice
ManagementCEBNE, Duty Manager at City Edge Brisbane Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2018

Dear Glenn,

What a candid and detailed review!

Thanks very much for writing such kind and supportive words through out. I am very delighted to know that, you found the hotel very convenient in terms of location and price.
Also, I am glad that you did notice and acknowledged the email we sent you regarding hotel details. This is exactly, what we expect from our every guests. As, it is our top most priority to provide them pleasant and memorable stay.
Your review will prove to be very helpful to other viewers to know our hotel, in a better way.
Being a budget accommodation and of course, our super friendly staff is our true strength.
Your review is enough for us to get motivated and keep on working hard. I will make sure these comments and appreciation reaches every staff member in hotel, from front to house keepers.
We are happiest on earth after knowing that, you will be back and will stay again with us.
We will certainly wait for your return.
Feel free to contact us, prior to your next arrival, to avail a special offer we may give you.

Warmest regards

Reviewed February 27, 2018

our room was at the back and although the bed was fine and the room just about big enough, the bathroom is very odd. I have been to many olderhotels that have been pre on suite and converted but this one is strange, however it worked for us, for a short few days stay. It was clean and the shower worked well, and we only spent a short time in the room anyway. I would recomend it as a back packer type hotel. The staff were friendly and helpful and it is very well situated for southside, for us the worst thing was some sort of bin wagon at four thirty everymorning that woke us every day.

Room Tip: at the front of the hotel should be quieter
  • Stayed: February 2018, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bobbymWirral
ManagementCEBNE, Duty Manager at City Edge Brisbane Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2018

Dear bobbymWirral,
Thanks for taking your time to share your feedback on your recent stay with us.
We are glad to know that you had a nice stay over all. However, please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused to you. I am thankful to you for mentioning about our excellent guest service. Also, I am glad that you found it to be worth, staying here at the price you paid.
We will hope for your return in future and, provide you a different experience and pleasant stay by putting all of our efforts.

Kindest regards

Reviewed January 29, 2018 via mobile

I’ve just recently visited Brisbane over the long weekend with my friend. I was lucky to catch their promo for a really good price on Agoda before the trip. Besides the price, what made me decide to book this place was the location. Location is my priority concern when it comes to travel (of course the ones i can afford), i need convenience, easy access to places and City Edge is located right in the heart of CBD, just a few steps then im in the Brisbane city hall and it’s just so easy walking to restaurants, shops,etc. To be completely honest, i had no expectation before coming to stay at City Edge as we were on budget. But, this place impressed me alot! Upon arrival, the male receptionist was so nice and he made us feel very welcome! The room is so clean! The room size is just right for me! Oh, and they sell alcohol and snacks right at the reception, which comes very handy to me as we arrived late that night, didnt really want to go out, so was happy about it :) oh, yeh need to mention this! I had a very good sleep that night as the bed sheet was very comfortable! I feel that the materials was very good quality, soft and comfy! Overall, i would rate it 5 stars for a bugdet accomodation!
If i come to Brisbane again, i would stay at City Edge and will definitely recommend my friends, too
Happy traveller :)
Thanks City Edge staff for the lovely service!

Stayed: January 2018, traveled with friends
2  Thank Ai V
ManagementCEBNE, Manager at City Edge Brisbane Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2018

Dear Ai V,
Thanks for taking your time out to write a detailed review on your recent stay with City Edge Brisbane. It was very lovely to have you here. And still, our team do remember you cheerful smile. I sincerely appreciate that you did mention all of our strengths, and I am very glad that you enjoyed the most out of your stay with us. Your comments are enough to motivate us and this review is not less than a reward for our team's hard work. Your comments have already brought a huge smile on everyone's face here. And moreover, our team is really already excited to know about your future visit too. When you come next, make sure, you find a time to play pool with your friends here in hotel. And Ai V, believe me playing pool with alcohol is really a great and unforgettable fun.
Once again, I am very glad that you found our hotel, very convenient in many aspects like, our services, staff and of course location with budget.
Will look forward to welcome you again, and make your next stay even more better.
Warmest regards

Reviewed January 24, 2018

Checked into the hotel at about 3.30 pm on a Wednesday. No onsite parking so guy on reception told us that we could get parking overnight for $17 if we got to the parking lot BEFORE 4pm. I was blocking the ally next to the hotel with my car so quickly checked in and raced to the carpark.

When I got back to the hotel reception desk to collect the key I was handed a piece of paper with a note explaining that the whole hotel (including the room I was staying in) had been fumigated earlier that day and that my 4 daughters and I should not walk barefoot on the carpet for a few hours. There were suspicious stains on the red couch, the bathroom stank so much that my daughters refused to use it and got on their international flight without a shower. I tried to book another room but could not get anything reasonable.

The air conditioner was too loud to sleep with running so had to keep turning it on and off to cool the room down in the middle of a Brisbane summer. Decides to go to Southbank for a swim and on returning to the car got a bill for $60 parking (unattended) because we were there BEFORE 4pm. The cheap parking applied if you entered AFTER 4pm.

For the ~$160 we paid for the room this was by far the WORST place I have ever stayed and the staff need some serious training in both hospitality and Australian culture. Absolutely disgusted.

• Stayed: January 2018, traveled with family
ManagementCEBNE, other at City Edge Brisbane Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2018

Dear Steve,
Thanks for staying with us and sharing your feedback.
We completely understand your frustration and dissatisfaction. Please accept our sincere apology and allow us to clarify the facts, to yourself and to every reader of this review.
We feel that we have a responsibility to save our guests’ money (either room rate, parking, food & beverage, etc.), but for your situation, it created a negative result due to miscommunication. When you mentioned to us of your estimated departure time the next day, you were eligible for cheaper parking rate, hence we suggested you to pay the car park directly. From your review, we could sense that you were panicked when you arrived the hotel, it could be the reason that you did not hear our instructions clearly about ‘Before or After 4pm’. There is pricing & notice board at the entrance of the carpark, which would explain the time frame & terms and conditions to you once again. Also, Southbank is walking distance from the car park & our hotel, it is very rare to hear our guests choosing to drive to Southbank. And if you have communicated with us of your parking requirement – e.g. multiple entry & exit, we would have saved all the extra money you have paid. But we still want to apologise that due to lack of communication with yourself, we had no idea of your actual requirement until later receiving a call from your wife from a different city.
Regarding your room experience, we would like to apologise again for not meeting your expectation. Hotel cleanliness is very important for us, and we do not miss any scheduled treatment. Treatment date & time can vary depends on our technicians, but we accept your wife’s feedback about early notice prior to your arrival, which was very reasonable & we’ll pay attention in the future. You also talked about your dissatisfaction about the bathroom. Again, if you have raised your concern when you were here, we would have moved you to a different room at no cost. But our offer does not make any difference now, since we received your complaint after your departure. We have already discussed the issues with the team and will seek ways to improve and make sure this does not happen again in the future.
As a matter of fact, over the years, we have large number of return guests, this was also the case when this building was known as: Explorers Inn. Our repeat guests choose to come back to us for our competitive rates in this premium location, AND for our staff (due to our team’s hard work and honesty). We are very proud to have this multicultural & multi-lingual team, this has created a whole lot of convenience for all the travellers from different part of the world, which is a extremely important in Hospitality Industry and any type of customer service Industry. The multicultural nature of Australia is what making our country more unique, attractive & wealthy. From 1-2 sentences of communication, it is not fair to criticise an innocent staff’s skill & ability in hospitality, especially who came from good intention to save you money.
As City Edge Brisbane is a budget accommodation, we are aware of our pros and cons, and we strive to improve from every aspect that’s within our control. And I hope that you will give us a chance to show our true capability to you and change your perception towards our hotel.

Kindest regards