“Stayed here over long weekend, service at...”

George Williams Hotel
Ranked #61 of 157 Hotels in Brisbane
“Stayed here over long weekend, service at...”
Reviewed June 13, 2010

Stayed here over long weekend, service at reception were efficient & friendly, rooms are basic (reminded me a bit of an old hospital) but really clean, location is great, down the rd from the mall, casino, southbank. Overall good value!

1 Thank Trippyrach

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Indonesian first
Auckland
Reviewed May 28, 2010

Selected this hotel based on other TA reviews and was not disappointed. Excellent location -- 5 min walk from train station (train direct from airport for $15) and Queen St Mall, shops, and riverfront cycling/pedestrian circuit. Room was at rear of the building and was compact, clean, comfortable and very quiet. Excellent and reasonably priced restaurant adjoining the hotel. Would stay at this property again without hesitation.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Australia
Reviewed May 27, 2010

Very convenient location, close to the city center and southbank, easy walking distance. Room itself is fairly small and limited, but on par for price. Clean though, so would reccomended it if you just need a place to sleep while you explore Brisbane during the day

• Stayed May 2010
1 Thank Chandrashan
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 20, 2010

Stayed at this hotel for a concert i was going to on the 11.3.2010,and must admit although not flashy by any means,it was a very nice little hotel non the less.5-10 minutes walk from Southbank,Casino and CBD,plus maybe a 10 minute walk to Roma St Station.Simply furnished,but oh so easy,would diffently stay there again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank bigrockinguy
Perth
Reviewed March 15, 2010

I recently stayed in a queen deluxe room at the hotel george williams with my partner while in town for a wedding. The room cost $110 per night and was sufficient for all our needs. The queen sized bed was comfortable and the room also had a chair, two bedside tables, a mini fridge, a desk, a small flatscreen tv and a window (with a view of a brick wall). The bathroom was nice with a shower, basin and toilet (although a bit cramped). The room was clean and modern.

The staff were friendly and allowed looked after our luggage for us after we had checked out, as we had a few hours to wait around.

The location of the hotel was great, just a short walk to restaurants, cafes, pubs and the main shopping strip of brisbane.

We ate a meal in the restaurant which was quite nice, although not fantastic, and the wait staff were a bit disorganised and not very professional.

Overall I would recommend this hotel for short stays in the brisbane cbd, as a cheap, comfortable and good value (but very basic) hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank elaphant_24
Sydney
Reviewed February 23, 2010

I have travelled extensively across Australia over the last 30 years on business and stayed in hundreds of hotels and motels. I have never experienced a hotel like this one.

Firstly , the rooms , so small I could hardly move. I shared the "Queen Deluxe" with my female partnet and we kept bumping into each other trying to get in and out of the bathroom and around the bed. to sit on the toilet I had to duck my head to avoid the towel rack. The shower cubicle was , however , quite generous, about half the size of the whole unit. The unit was dingy , dark and stuffy. The airconditioner didn't work and we hardly slept because of the uncomfortable bed.

Then there was the restaurant. It was something else.It was a Monday night and we went down to dinner at 7.30pm. As soon as we sat down we were subjected to " Russian" supervisors autocratic behaviour - "You vill do as I say attitude". She told us that the restaurant kitchen was closing at 8.0 pm and we had to order quickly. We enquired as to where it was advertised that the restaurant closed early on Monday nights and she advised that it was on the Menu. We asked if we could see the menu and discovered that it was not there. Then the arguments began. We ordered our meal via a gentle little waitress who had just commenced work there and who was being coached by the Russian. She was terrified. My meal was ok but my partner's did not resemble anything like that described on the Menu. An argument ensued about the meal - sun-dried tomatoes vs fried tomatoes - spinach vs beans. Then there was was the 20% discount for in house guests. What a debacle of a night. All the while as we were trying to eat the meal "The Russian" was banging chairs everywhere. She was intent on making her point regardless of our concerns. She said to my partner that "she could buy her and spit her out". We went back to our rooms feeling sick. All we wanted to do was get out of the place . I will never , never, never stay at this dog of a place again and I would advise that any travellers carefully consider my comments.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank piscesccc
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 21, 2010

I chose this location based on its location to Queen St Mall, price and reviews on TripAdvisor.

Check in was efficient.

The room allocated to me was terrible. Although I expected a small room, it was really tiny, just fitted a double bed and 2 side tables.

The walls were really thin and I could hear my neighbours swearing the whole night. I could also hear toilets flushing.

The doors are designed with a door closer and it banged very very loudly each time somebody open the door. I could hear doors closing/banging loudly the whole night almost on the entire floor. It was a sleeplessness night and it is unlikely I will stay at this place. I felt really uncomfortable and unsafe as there were a lot of young men wandering (and swearing) from room to room (they were probably with a group).

It had a good location in that it was only 2 blocks from Queen St Mall, but nothing else to shout about. At the time I was there they had a special 20% discount for meals at their restaurant but I did not use it. They also had the airport bus located at the bus stop opposite the hotel ($24 return trip).

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo