“Locked out when returing from dinner!”

George Williams Hotel
Ranked #67 of 168 Hotels in Brisbane
Reviewed April 17, 2014

I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights . It was recommended as reasonably priced accommodation for a conference held nearby ( Novotel). Several of my group asked for early checkin but this wasnt possible. Then on returning from dinner on the second night 2 of us were locked out of our rooms. The night desk person then told me I hadnt paid my bill and wouldnt re activate my room key until I did. He was not apologetic when I complained and neither was the desk person I spoke to about it the next day. On the morning I checked out I expressed my anoyance again and finally I was told my credit card should have been recorded at checkin. I explained that in fact I had offered to do this but was told it was not necessary.

Apart from this the breakfast was very ordinary, the room very small and in my view overpriced.

Suggest much better staff training in processes and customer service is needed.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank Peter D

Reviewed April 4, 2014

Brilliant location! Rooms are no more or less than you need. Friendly, helpful staff. We arrived late at night and fell into bed expecting the typical concrete slab and "as good as empty" pillow. I was thrilled to find a very comfortable bed and pillow in a neat and quiet room. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 7, 2014

We wanted to be close to the Queen Street Mall & this one was great - only 2 blocks away!
The staff were helpful. They gave us a local map and held our bags after check-out so we could go and shop some more.

Breakfast for one was included in our room rate, so we added a second person for only $10. Hubby had the bacon & eggs, I had mushroom & goats cheese on bread (yumm) & the other options were muesli or fruit I think. The restaurant also does dinner & drinks and the specials looked quite reasonable (bit we didn't eat here for dinner).

The room was very clean & comfy. I was able to have a very good sleep! The look of the room is decent - I'm not overly picky but if you're like me and can't handle floral bedspreads, then you'll understand my relief at the modern tones.

The bathroom décor was a bit dated- like a motel, and the exhaust fan made the shower curtain attack you when you're trying to shower. But the water can be piping hot if you want it to be. Nice to melt the day away & get nice & sleepy.

NB - Parking is $24 per day, offsite, and 'per availability only'. Better for travellers without a car.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank woodchuck_jw
Reviewed March 4, 2014

If you want a good basic place to lay your head Hotel G W is for you! Very close to Brisbane CBD and all the action. Rooms a bit on the small side but suitable for solo travellers. Beds comfortable , clean and all necessities provided. Great rates and breakfast provided if required for small extra charge. Great people watching from their footpath cafe, excellent menu. Pleasant ,efficient staff . So handy to transport ( bus /trains / ferries ) also. Great Farmer's markets nearby on Wednesday mornings.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank BabsGoldCoast
Reviewed March 1, 2014

This is the smallest room I have every stayed in. We ha a double room and struggled to get our suit cases in and walk with out banging into each other. If if have any ontmore than one piece of language forget it

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Andy-Bigplanet67
Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

The hotel has a good central location but the rooms are so tiny that the luggages don't have enough space. The aircon only works on or off it does not regard the temperature set and is very loud (the init is fully inside the room). The breakfast is ridiculous, limited selection and for ONLY ONE PERSON per room, the others will have to pay 10 dollars. When asked about it the receptionist said: "it is somewhere in the fine print". Terrible service.
Luckily it was only for one night. Won't ever look back!

Stayed: January 2014
4  Thank GPalffy
Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

Perfect located at CBD, fair price and good room size. Bike hubs in front and well served of nearby restaurant. Quick walk distance from Queen Victoria Street and other attractions.
Friendly and helpful staff.
Bus and train station walking distance. Stringly recommended this budget hotel,

• Stayed: January 2014