“Worth a look especially if you're dealing with the airport”
Review of Hamilton Motor Inn

Hamilton Motor Inn
Ranked #145 of 157 Hotels in Brisbane
Palmerston North, New Zealand
“Worth a look especially if you're dealing with the airport”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

We had a short notice requirement for 2 Kiwi couples in Brisbane for 2 nights, preferably near the airport. Picked at random, the big boys were either full, expensive or too far away. The Hamilton wasn't rated very high but we thought we'd give it a go based on location and price. What we found was a very friendly and helpful reception desk, a tidy room with a comfy queen bed. Decor was a little bit tired in places, but it seems the units are getting done up bit by bit as our bathroom was very modern. As a location, whoa.. GREAT! We couldn't believe we'd lucked into it. A very short haul to the airport when we departed this morning.. thanks to a great reception lady who gave us a better option than Google Maps..(can't beat local knowledge) . A Dan Murphy? liquor outlet close by, a modern corner pub less than a block away with an excellent family restaurant.. and more food up the road from there.. we had a memorable Italian meal last night, could also have had pizza, Chinese, Thai and others from along the street, A 7/11 over the road from the pub. The City Cat ferries jetty is just up and over the road, 3 minute walk.. and provide transport into the city, South Bank whatever.. we left the car at the Motor Inn... no parking worries..The Inn staff cleaned our rooms when were were out, got rid of rubbish and replaced towels, much appreciated. Overnight parking was under cover and secure, something less to worry about. The street outside is an arterial road so a bit noisy but we can't blame the Inn for that. All in all, we all agreed that if we're back in Brisbane we'd go back to this Inn.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank MerlinBlaise

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Vancouver
Reviewed March 13, 2013

It's hard to understand the star rating system. this Bribane motel ranks itself a 3.5 and some sites a 3, I think there needs to be a non star category. The rooms are spartan at best. My room looked onto what appears to be some sort of power plant with whirring fans. The room was warm and the air conditioning wall unit worked but there was no way you could sleep with the noise it made. The small fridge hummed as well. The room and bathroom were clean. The walls had chipped paint. The bed was ok, it was covered in white sheets, sort of hospital decor. This would have been fine on a back packer list of places to stay in the $60 per night range. It is not your Brisbane holiday place to stay.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank ljz53
Townsville
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We selected this property because of it's proximity to the airport ( probably accounts for the majority of bookings). The entire complex is very tired and outdated, we were amused at the painted random groove ply lining the rooms and hallways. The lift and stairwells are dirty and we discovered cigarette butts decorating the external staircase.
We took advantage of the rooftop balcony and while it has a good view the atmosphere is on a par with the rest of the propery. Terrible!
The rooms are spacious and the linen was clean, but my complements have to end there. The rooms look like someone has been on a trip down memory lane and decided to recreate the horrid accomodation we suffered in the 70's. Minature television set, rattling box air conditioners, atrocious carpets and the locks on the doors were hardly worth supplying a key for, I'm sure i could have opened it without one.
This property is in a prime location and if it had an overhaul from top to bottom it would be a great place to stay. $125.00 per night tarrif is double what a place like this is worth even with the location as a bonus.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank ColTownsville
Noosa, Australia
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I was given a nights accommodation at this Hotel from a family member overseas as a Christmas gift to our family. It was booked for a 10am check in but when we got there at 10 am the reception told us to come back at 2pm. We did a sight seeing tour around Brisbane which was lovely until we went back to the Hamilton to check in for the second time. The reception would not book us in because the credit card used was from my family member overseas which had the same surname as me, but I could not show him the card or the signature as the card was from my family member overseas. I then said that since we are unable to show the credit card used for the booking because it was a gift from a family member overseas that we would just return home and not worry about the night away.
He then gave me a smile and said he would be charging the card the full rate for the room as we cancelled within 24hrs.

He simply started charging the credit card while I was trying to explain I was not cancelling, he would not allow us to stay. He ignored me and continued to enter the credit card number into the machine. I took the machine away from him and cancelled the transaction to which he then called me a [--] [--]. I was shocked as at no stage had I raised my voice or provoked him. I then asked him to settle down and call the person overseas if he thinks that it was a fraud booking. He told me he was unable to make international calls from the office and said to get out and started calling the police.

The only fraud happening was the receptionist refusing us to stay and still charging the credit card. I called for the owner to come and within 2 minutes she could see that that the booking was made by a family member overseas and proceeded with the booking and apologized for the mix up and offered us a box of chocolates. Unfortunately the damage had been done.

Despite putting a damp start to a trip the motel is pretty much as everyone else describes in the other reviews. The lift has not been repaired and stops about 100mm below the level you are on. The place is run down and is very old and is not kid friendly. It was noisy at night due to the loud air conditioning unit and the noise from the sub station which had a hum.

I could not get out of there fast enough as we left at 6:45am in the morning and could not justify the $200 for another night at this Motel. And if the owner happens to read this the shower in the family room 3 sprays onto the roof in the bathroom and should be fixed. I would suggest a new shower head if you can afford it! And please clean the ceiling above the bed as I would hate to know what or how long the brown colored splats got into the ceiling. And as for the person who runs reception, you should seek an anger management course or get out and about a bit. Your social skills and customer service are appalling. You are the front face of that motel and your behavior was out of control. You shoved the booking papers down the front of your pants so I could not take it away when you had all the information on your computer? You swore at me and threatened me. I hope if you go to the police that your video feed has Audio.
I would never recommend or stay at this Motel again, not even if it was free.
What horrible experience.

The owner should really consider a change in the front office, the receptionist could have simply called the owner of the card or called you directly instead of behaving in such a manner.
Thank you for the chocolates and trying to make the situation better. But the check in experience was not one I have ever experienced. .

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Jaceace13
Melbourne
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Selected this from the wotif list of budget accomodation. from the descriptionon the website it sounded reasonable as was the price on offer. The reality could not have been worse. This might have been a good suburban motel in it's heydays but the property is looking so sick it would be close to terminal if it were human.The room facilities were so basic , compared to some horrors I have stayed in in China and India it would rate close to abysmal. Needs a good clean up and some TLC. It is tired and neglected.

Room Tip: look elewhere
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Tari M
Kingston SE, Australia
Reviewed June 29, 2012

I booked into the Hamilton Motor Inn due to my regular Hamilton motel being booked out. I must admit, for the price ($125), I was expecting a few more modern fittings to the room. The room itself was quite big with a large, comfortable bed and seperate coffee table and chairs but everything was getting that 'tired' patina.

The people on the front desk were quite friendly. I was on the western (electrical substation) side but was up three (or four) floors and I must admit it didn't disturb me. Parking is secure and undercover.

Handy little location not too far from the airport or the port facilities on the Brisbane River.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Warwick
Reviewed February 3, 2012

We found the Hamilton Motor Inn to be reasonable value at $125.00 per night. Because it is on very busy Kingsford Smith Drive we asked for a room at the back of the building. A comfortable queen-sized bed, roomy bathroom, hot water, fairly clean. The air-conditioner was very noisy but we were able to open the sliding window about 15cm. We were surprised at no pay tv, but it had all the digital channels. No breakfast, but there are cafes very close by in Racecourse Road. Handy to the airport and to the city. Secure parking available in the "cage"......locked 7pm.. till 7 a.m. Squeezy for a commodore sedan, but secure. Reception very polite and helpful. The lift is small and very jerky, probably needs replacing or servicing. It felt unsafe.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the rear even though some overlook a sub-station.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple