“Nice decor and comfortable bed but”

Hotel Urban Brisbane
Ranked #40 of 158 Hotels in Brisbane
Currumbin, Australia
“Nice decor and comfortable bed but”
Reviewed February 26, 2014

The staff were all very friendly and I liked the funky decor. We had a room on the 9th floor which was of an average size with a very comfortable bed and lounge chair with foot stool. There was also a desk chair and small coffee table. The fridge was well stocked and there were adequate tea and coffee selections. The room had an unusual smell and there were mould stains on the curtains. The bathroom may have been cleaned but the grouting in the shower looked mouldy and when we had a shower with the door well closed water leaked out all over the floor turning it into a lake. We were staying on a Saturday night and the sound proofing between our floor and the function rooms on the 10th floor were inadequate so we were disturbed by noise. With no double glazing we could also hear the trains.

We could see a lovely looking pool and spa below but did not get a chance to use them this trip and did not dine in the hotel.

Room Tip: Probably better not to be on the 9th floor if there are functions on the 10th unless you are attendi...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rose G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
  • Indonesian first
Surfers Paradise, Australia
Reviewed February 25, 2014

I got a scoupoon for this for my 18th birthday.

Upon arrival it was beautiful. The only thing was the way I was treated. I could tell because I was young and bought it off a scoupoon there was no way I was going to get the same treatment as other guests.

Besides that it was fine. Great location, 10$ taxi to the valley. Room was clean and nice. Not much to be said. It was okay, wouldn't do it again or pay the normal full price for it.

Balcony was also tiny.

Room Tip: Check out your deal sites, I only paid 300 for two nights. Don't pay over that.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Georgina E
Melbourne
Reviewed February 22, 2014

On arriving was met by friendly helpful staff who were efficient. On arriving on my floor was met with musty smell in hallway but luckily not in the room. Room was nice, modern, clean and tidy.
We'll stocked fridge and coffee & tea facilities available. Bed was comfortable and all went well.
The only criticism is getting to and from the car park. It is easy to get lost and you can't get directly to reception without climbing stairs which is painfully if you have luggage.
Overall.......very good.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed February 20, 2014

My interstate colleague & I were both staying in Brisbane CBD for work purposes. I chose this hotel because I don't like the claustrophobic feeling of being stuck in the middle of a city. It turned out to be a brilliant choice! It's only a short walk to the city heart but being high on the hill overlooking the Roma St Parklands, it offers a feeling of freedom and space. The hotel has a unique balance of a modern, 'happening' vibe, yet also a quiet and relaxing haven so it's the best of both worlds. We went to the restaurant and bar every night as the food and wine menus were both really good and offered a lot of variety. I stayed in a one bedroom suite and was so comfortable and slept really well every night. The room was super clean and spacious with 3 balconies and great views. The highlight was definitely the staff! Really friendly and natural - not stiff & robot-like which I see at many hotels. Urban obviously encourages their staff to "be themselves" with guests and make them feel as though they're at home. I loved it, and so did the other guests I spoke to in the bar (quite a few of them return regularly and get really upset if their companies book them into another hotel). It was really social & it had a lot of soul. We will definitely be back!!

Room Tip: I'd recommend the one bedroom suite (they call it a sweet).
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed February 20, 2014

Had a great introductory phone call when booking our room - felt welcomed and looked forward to our stay. However, the time spent at the hotel we were met with staff with attitudes ranging from ambivalence (at best) down to complete disinterest. Our package included a complimentary bottle of sparkling wine but we had to retrieve it from the bar (two staff members - on reception and on room service) told us they weren't able to bring it to our room and that we had to get it ourselves. But a matter of minutes later someone came to our room with a small gift package (also included in the room). Our breakfast was interrupted (mid-mouthful) to sign for coffees which no-one had explained were not part of our package - after some confusion over what breakfast was actually included - surely staff could have waited a few minutes for us to complete our breakfast before approaching us. We were left waiting at reception several times with no-one acknowledging us while they worked - on one occasion we left rather than remain standing around. Our pod coffee machine in the room was broken but they couldn't provide us with another and the second day called early (7am-ish?!) in the morning to see if someone could come up to repair it - we were checking out in just a few short hours, I had already indicated not to worry about the repair (as we didn't want the intrusion in the room). By the end of the stay we were tired of obviously jaded and disinterested staff.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SPFeb14
Queensland
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Love this hotel and stay regularly. Love the recognition from front desk staff and like the very comfortable rooms and location. Saying that, on my last visit I noticed a distinct change in ambience when walking into the lobby. What used to be an up beat and welcoming hotel to walk into with back ground music was eerily quiet. I got the recognition through regular staff which was great but noticed immediately something had changed. Has there been a change of management here? Hotel Urban was unique in it's style and presentation and was so refreshing compared to other main stream hotels which is why I stay here. If there has been a change of management please take my advice and re instate the welcoming atmosphere. The front desk staff are wonderful, room service expensive but breakfast a debarcle. What happened? And where's the home made granola at breakfast? Seems to have been replaced with packet cereal. My last room had carpet that was not laid right and was pulling up. Surely your housekeeping staff report this when vaccuuming. Also my mini bar was not complete. I know you have mini bar staff service the rooms as in the past I've had them knock. It's not appopriate for guests to have to report mini bar shortages and a list of prices would also be helpful as on several occasions this has been missing.

What was a fantastic alternative and boutique hotel is quickly falling down the path of becoming just a regular 3 star hotel. They had 4 star but something recently has gone very wrong. For me now I will search other alternatives.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank andyoz
Brisbane
Reviewed February 10, 2014

We liked the boutique style lobby and our room was clean and modern. Also there is a cool bar/restaurant area. My husband and I received complimentary chocolate martinis. The internet available on the lobby computers was unbelievably slow! Might as well not bother. We found the staff professional and polite. The parking lot is very tight, and I would definitely not attempt to take a large car or van into it. The location is not in the heart of the city, so it's a bit of a hike to get to Queen St. The room was also very small, and it was a bit of a struggle at times with two small children. Despite these things, we were very happy with our stay at the Urban. We were looking for somewhere clean and modern to close to the city, and it delivered those things with a good price for a city hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family