“Pretty average”

Ranked #39 of 157 Hotels in Brisbane
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“Pretty average”
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Rather than earn its 4.5star rating through service quality and facilities combined, I think the Brisbane urban has scraped through on the basis that it has a pool and gymn. I normally stay at the rydges south bank but unfortunately there was no availability. I won't be coming back here again though. Try a very sparse, mediocre breakfast buffet which even disappointed my 7 year and 5 year old kids, attended to by staff who appear to think they are doing you a favour by serving you. Made only slightly better by the modern and contemporary decor. Very average.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Hotel U, General Manager at Hotel Urban Brisbane, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Hi Richard

I know how important it is to start your day with friendly and upbeat service so I'm really disappointed to hear that our restaurant team let you down in this regard. We are working on a new breakfast menu concept, within the next month we will be offering a new café style breakfast menu.

Please accept our apologies that you did not have a great Urban experience on this stay.'

Craig Bradbery

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Indonesian first
Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here with our two kids. Staff were awesome and the room was great. We were worried having read about apparent car park issues however the carpark design would only worry a novice driver, it was easy to navigate through and we were in a large 4wd. We will definately stay here again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Scott A
Hotel U, General Manager at Hotel Urban Brisbane, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Hi Scott, hearing that you had a great stay makes our day, so thanks a lot for sharing your review. We hope you and the kids can come back and stay with us again soon! Kind Regards, Craig Bradbery - General Manager.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed October 13, 2013

On check in I was greeted Well not Greeted at all, the senior staff member from the word go did not smile at me once or give me a warm welcome. I did not like his manners or lack of them. We received our keys and briefly told where the car park was, it was a rabbit warren where you would not want to have a large car because there are posts everywhere which showed the battle scars of previous drivers. Then we had the fun of trying to find the lifts, well!! We were lucky there was another guest in the carpark who helped us out on this one.
We arrived in our room which we thought was ok, the air con was cold and nice, beds were lovely and soft, bathroom nice and new shower and surrounds. We did not like being on the first level as we like views, I rang reception to inquire about the change of rooms, but was told hotel was fully booked, which was ok.
The pool was quite hard to find, and i was quite embarrassed to find some very well dressed men in reception where i had to walk past them in my swimming attire to get to the pool.
Inside the rooms it states very severely that the hotel is completely smoke free, there were three butts floating in pool, most hotels are but smoking is allowed on balconies, but not here.
We noticed butts everywhere around near our courtyard, where guests in upper levels just threw them from their balconies.
I could not find a menu for restaurant included in guest services paper work, so I rang restaurant, where I was told that they do not have menus in rooms and I would have to come down and have a look. I would have expected this person to say something like " No problems I will bring one up for you straight away" we did not dine in the restaurant, we walked up the street and dined somewhere else.
Breakfast was interesting, a few cereals, some apple juice, milk and coffees from a machine we had no idea how to use.
The hot selection consisted of plates of eggs, bacon, sausages, tomatoes, hash browns, mushrooms, and beans, which was adequate but the eggs were bought out three at a time. My husband had to go back three times, as we didnt want to empty the plate and look greedy. I think most men do eat three eggs for breakfast.The bacon was overcooked and must have been left in a hot box of some kind and was totally dried out, and very unappetizing.On check out the ruder chap was still there seeing to other guests and I was served by another staff member who was ok but still lacking a smiling demeanor, something I very much find is missing in the hospitality industry these days.
The next time we venture into the city we will give this place a miss..

Room Tip: Rooms facing east or south, on upper floors where balcony is included, courtyards offer no view at a...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Bronwyn H
Hotel U, General Manager at Hotel Urban Brisbane, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Hello Bronwyn

Thanks for your review, I am very disappointed to hear that we didn’t live up to your expectations on this stay.

The customer service you experienced is certainly not the level we strive to provide and as you can see from the majority of our reviews, it’s definitely not the service our guests are used to receiving.

Yes the carpark can be quite challenging as there are some tight turns, however we are in the process of adding additional signage to make this easier to navigate. We are also working on a brand new breakfast concept, as we are finding that more and more guests prefer a modern café style breakfast menu and buffets are becoming a thing of the past.

Please accept my apologies that you did not have the usual fantastic Urban experience that we pride ourselves on providing.

Kind Regards

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

In general this is a very nice hotel located on the edge of the CBD, only a short walk to the Brisbane Mall. Lots of restaurants to choose from and a short taxi ride to Southbank which is worth the drive.
There is a very nice alfresco bar and restaurant on the ground floor with a nice setting about it.......great coffee....friendly staff. Highly recommend.
The only thing I would pick is lighting in the rooms definitely needs improving and a fan in the bathroom would be handy.
I will definitely be returning...thank you to the friendly staff.
With frequent travel, it's a nice change

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Hotel U, General Manager at Hotel Urban Brisbane, responded to this review, October 12, 2013
Hi Michael

Thanks for your review, we're so glad to hear that you found Urban to be a refreshing change and we can't wait to welcome you back next time you're in town.

With regards to the room lighting, we are working on adding some additional lights so next time you stay with us you will notice the difference.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Forget the $300+ per night hyped hotels of Brisbane's centre, if you want a convenient city location, views across the city towers, easy access to an adjacent park for a morning run, friendly service and good facilities, all for a decent price, then check this place out. It is situated up on the hill on Wickham terrace, just a short 5 minute walk down Albert St to the city centre and next to the Roma St. Parklands. My room was on a corner and one side looked out across the city buildings and the other across the park to Mt Cootha. Staff were all helpful and the room service menu, although a bit limited in choice was very good quality. There is car parking that was included in my room rate - easy to get into the underground carpark but it is tight down there so brace yourself if you are driving big car. WiFi is available for a charge. I would stay here again should I need a hotel for business in the city centre and am interested in quality and value for money.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for staying with us and thanks for the lovely review.

We're always happy to hear from delighted guests like yourself and it sounds like we have a new Urban fan, so come back and stay with us again soon!

Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

Celebrated my 21st here on Saturday night in the Loft and had an absolutely fabulous time. All of the staff on the night were most helpful and the food was incredible. Kate was also delightful dealing with to organise everything. As well as the function I stayed in a 2 bedroom suite for 2 nights and there was ample space to spread out. The rooms are clean, tidy and everything worked how it was supposed to. The gazebo meals were also incredible and it was amazing that we got put into the green room on Friday night for dinner and Saturday morning for Breakfast. This is a great little area! It feels so private. I have absolutely no complaints about the hotel and because we had views of riverfire would stay here again for firework views.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Amber K
Hey there Amber

Great to hear that your 21st went so well, the Loft is indeed a stunning venue for a party! The Green Room is also such a special place, sounds like you certainly celebrated the entire weekend in style.

I'll certainly share your glowing feedback with Kate and the team, they'll love to hear that they've made such a difference to your experience.

We hope we get to help you celebrate many more special occasions in future.

Best wishes
Caloundra, Australia
Reviewed September 22, 2013

My Husband and I stayed at hotel Urban for a weekend away and it was fantastic. We had a scoopon and upgraded to the king room which was 'Bondi Beach' themed. It was great! a bit different and very bright and colourful. We could access the pool and spa from our court yard which was very convenient for early morning swims. The hotel has a secure car park which is great and is only about a 5 minute walk to King George square. The staff were super friendly and very lovely which made our experience ever better!
Overall its a great place to stay for a weeknd away. Close to the city but away from all the noise.

Thanks Hotel Urban for a great weekend!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel U, General Manager at Hotel Urban Brisbane, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Hello Missy

It certainly does sound like you had a wonderful weekend, I'm so glad you got to experience one of our pool suites, they are perfect for enjoying some of that famous Brisbane sunshine!

Thanks for your lovely feedback on our friendly team, they'll all be happy to hear that you had such a great time with us.

We hope you'll come and stay with us again soon.