“King61” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #39 of 162 Hotels in Brisbane
Mudgeeraba, Australia
“King61”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

Room itself was nice room, terrible location above carpark opening door, very noisy,disgusting view, booked.a night away for quiet night as husband on call 24/7 an needed the rest, didn't enjoy the break.
Also checking out Hotel for my 6oth with family coming from England and NZ, but was not impressed. As we booked through Scoopon this was the upgrade room which we were given and paid for, The attitude of the staff behind the counter was, oh you booked through Scoopon and here's your chocolates as though we didn't really deserve respect, but unfortunately you have lost out on our business now. Air con doesn't work correctly, no chain on sliding door, so could not leave door open for air.. Positive- bed very comfortable and pillows great. Aug 2013

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kristine K
Hotel U, General Manager at Hotel Urban Brisbane, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
Thanks for your review Alisa811,

We're pleased that you enjoyed our famously comfy Urban Snorer bed. It's very disappointing to hear that the view from your room did not live up to your expectations. We're sorry that you also experienced an issue with your air conditioning and that our staff didn't have the opportunity to rectify this or move you to a more suitable room. One of the features at our hotel is that all rooms have private balconies to allow fresh air in, so it's not necessary for you to use your door to the hallway to let in air.

We would appreciate it if you could contact us at stay@hotelurban.com.au and let us know what name you booked under so that we can check that the air conditioner in the room that you stayed in is in working order.

Lachlan Furnell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
  • Indonesian first
Brisbane
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

I was given a birthday gift of an overnight stay at Hotel Urban. I went along not expecting much and I came away a BIG FAN! We had a lovely stay and I was amazing how relaxed I felt being only a few kilometres away from home.

We were surprised to find our room reservation had been upgraded into a suite that looked over the beautiful Roma Street Parkland. The king bed was beautifully comfortable, the large bathroom looked spotlessly clean and the massive lounge area would have easily accommodated a few more people if we'd needed to.

We found the room quiet, the staff most friendly and accommodating and the smell of the flowers in the foyer was absolutely gorgeous.

I would heartily recommend Hotel Urban to anyone needing an overnight in Brisbane City.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hotel U, General Manager at Hotel Urban Brisbane, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Wow what a fabulous 5 star review!
Thanks so much mssell,

Happy recent birthday, we're thrilled to hear that we could help make it even more special, after all birthdays should be all about being spoilt!

We hope to welcome you back again, whatever the occasion.

Lachlan Furnell,
Mooloolaba, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

I quite liked this hotel. It is about a 10 minute walk to the brisbane cbd (Myer centre area). Downhill (but then uphill on the way back).
Rooms are tidy with decent views of the city, toward the Red Hill area. There is a great balcony, as well.
I liked that you could here the trains
The gym is really really small, not much going for it.
The breakfast is really basic too.
All is in all, not stunning but a good value hotel. Staff are friendly and work hard.
Only negative is that the shower in the bathroom is really bad, leads to the bathroom getting wet.
Virgin Australia staff stay there between flights.

Room Tip: High floor Stay away from the elevator Toward the red hill area
Thanks for your review mystical 18,

We're really pleased to hear that you enjoyed our convenient location, and our fabulous views. All of our rooms offer balconies, so you will always be guaranteed fresh air during your stay.

Thanks for the feedback about the shower too, could you please send me an email to: stay@hotelurbanbrisbane with your room number and I will have maintenance look into this.

Ballina, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

This Hotel is Middle of the road. Its quite good in some areas and not so good in others. Other Reviews on Trip Advisor overall are quite accurate. Especially the descriptions of the extremely tight hopeless carpark.....heed their warnings.

THE GOOD:
- Comfortable Beds
- Courteous Staff
- Clean
- Good Selection of Austar Channels

THE NOT SO GOOD
- The carpark is disgraceful. VERY Tight. You need to be very highly skilled to navigate anything bigger than a Corolla without scraping anything. This carpark is so bad that it alone would deter me from recommending this place to some others. Especailly when they are charging you $30 a night per car Added to its poor design, the fact that the lowest level P2 has several of the easier to access spots unavailable due to the fact that they are full of rubble, building waste, Rubbish and old wheel barrow. Seeing this sort of thing upon arrival does not make the best of 1st impressions. Someone should really clean that stuff up....but then again a Ute, let alone a garbage truck would never get down there....

- The AC is very noisy.
- The elevators are noisy and rooms right next to them have a constant hum coming through the walls.
- In a room that sleeps 4 there is tea making facilities for 2 only. 2 Cups. 2 Teaspoons. Bothing else in the way of saucers, plates cutlery etc

Overall I would say this Hotel is acceptable but not great. There is better Value for money around Brisbane

Room Tip: Request a Room that is away from the noisy Elevators. Take your smallest Vehicle. Room 214s bathroom...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank maddanno
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

Lots of money has been spent on upgrading this old property with a super funky fit out. Our room was by the side of the pool with a little fence around the balcony for privacy. Quite a groovy idea. On arrival, staff did not seem too concerned whether we stayed or not, but hey it is the big city so a less that exuberant welcome can be par for the course. What was not OK though was the cleanliness of the room. I noticed that the silver panel on the room door was covered with finger marks and something sticky, so avoided touching that. Over our 24 hours we encountered a crumbled biscuit in the corner of the room which had not been vacuumed up, a towel with a great big tear in it (I mean a giant fist sized hole), 6 cigarette butts and ash scattered over the ground on our balcony, a filthy vent in the bathroom and a used shower cap still hanging on the back of the bathroom door. I think I'll get a fresh one thanks! By the time we got to the bar for a drink and were faced with tables and tables covered with uncleared food and drink (with no change to this in over 20 minutes despite the rush of customers being well and truly over) we left to have a drink elsewhere. Housekeeping standards like this are just not OK.

3 Thank Julieh4662
Hotel U, General Manager at Hotel Urban Brisbane, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Hi Julieh4662,

We're pleased that you enjoyed the style of our hotel and our new Pool Pavilion suites, these have been really well received by all our guests.

The hotel is a 100% non smoking hotel, however as every room has a balcony, unfortunately some guests occasionally toss their butts over the edge. As a result, some may end up around the pool area. These public areas are cleaned and checked each morning and afternoon. I have spoken with housekeeping about your comments regarding the state of your room. Our process is that every room once cleaned is then checked by a supervisor to ensure our high standards are met. It is disappointing to hear that the room was in this unsatisfactory state.

We expect that any guest who found having found their room in the condition described would have called reception so that the the situation could be rectified immediately.

Understanding that you stayed on a Friday night, we are thrilled that we attract a large business audience to our live music sessions in the bar that runs from 5pm till 8pm, one of the only Brisbane hotels offering this. The music featured is by some of the best touring singles and duo artists in the country including Peter Cupples. This is generally seen as a value add, a cost to the hotel however a nice surprise for many of our guests. I am sorry you did not feel this way.
Julieh4662, myself and my team are always available to listen to any guest that may have an issue with their stay.

I encourage this so we have the opportunity to resolve any unfavourable situation on the spot and the guest can enjoy the remainder of their stay. Thank you for your comments and please do not hesitate to call the hotel and ask for me personally if you wish to discuss this further.

Kind regards
gold coast
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

We stayed here recently on a 'scoopon' deal on a two night stay. The room was a decent size with a very comfy bed and nice soft pillows. Excellent shower. Nice lobby area with papers and magazines to read. A short walk down the hill to Queen Street Mall the only downside of course you have to walk back up it although it is a fairly easy walk back up.
The car park is the not the greatest with lots of pillars and can be difficult to manoeuvre around. The only comment I would make is the lack of lighting in the room only bedside lights and a lamp on the desk.
Overall we had a pleasant stay and would probably stay here again.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel U, General Manager at Hotel Urban Brisbane, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thanks for your review suzieq100,

We're thrilled that you enjoyed the home away from home comfort of our hotel and that you were lucky enough to score one of our extra special rates.

Thanks for your feedback about the lighting Whilst we have an entry light, two desk lights and a standing lamp and LED lights in the bathrooms, the design of the room does not accommodate a light in the centre of the ceiling. This is currently being rectified through the installation of another light that will enhance the entire room.

We hope to welcome you back again next time you stay in Brisbane suzieq100.

Batemans Bay, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

I have stayed at the Urban three times this year - the first visit was just fine and the staff were lovely. My second stay was in an adjoining room and the noise was really dreadful - not that the person next door was particularly loud - just the walls must be paper thin. I didn't get any sleep.

Stayed there again a couple of nights ago - the room was nice enough - very comfy beds. But this time round I think you can better value for money elsewhere. I couldn't get the aircon to heat the room enough for me and I was cold just sitting in the room - not nice.

As per my first visit I ordered a room service breakfast which arrived on time but stone cold - cold chewy bacon is not what I was expecting - really need to see an improvement on the 'a la carte' breakfast I ordered. This food was either take from a buffet to be delivered or else left to sit for too long before arriving in my room - either way below par. The hotel was fully booked and very busy - but really this shouldn't be something I need to take into consideration when staying there - the food and beverage team did not appear to be able to handle the amount of guests staying there.

I was there for a conference and neither our morning tea or afternoon tea arrived on time and the toasted sandwiches for morning tea were again cold - nothing says yuck like cold melted cheese and a thrown together plate of lacklustre toasted sammies.

The reception staff as always were very pleasant and that + the comfy beds is probably the best I can say about the Urban this time round. But really you can get that in plenty of other hotels in Brisbane. I wouldn't stay there if this was not booked through my work.

Room Tip: Don't sleep in an adjoining room .... don't bother with room service breakfast
Thanks for your review caite64,

We're pleased to hear that our warm and friendly staff have made you feel so welcome during each of your stays with us, and you have enjoyed our famously comfy Urban Snorer beds.

It's very disappointing to hear that you have experienced some noise issues during your stay and our food has not lived up to your expectations. We always encourage our guests to let us know if they are disappointed with any aspects of their stay so we have the opportunity to be able to rectify any issues. If you stay again, please contact me directly should you have any concerns.