“Not so great this time round”

Hotel Urban Brisbane
Ranked #49 of 168 Hotels in Brisbane
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I have stayed at the Urban three times this year - the first visit was just fine and the staff were lovely. My second stay was in an adjoining room and the noise was really dreadful - not that the person next door was particularly loud - just the walls must be paper thin. I didn't get any sleep.

Stayed there again a couple of nights ago - the room was nice enough - very comfy beds. But this time round I think you can better value for money elsewhere. I couldn't get the aircon to heat the room enough for me and I was cold just sitting in the room - not nice.

As per my first visit I ordered a room service breakfast which arrived on time but stone cold - cold chewy bacon is not what I was expecting - really need to see an improvement on the 'a la carte' breakfast I ordered. This food was either take from a buffet to be delivered or else left to sit for too long before arriving in my room - either way below par. The hotel was fully booked and very busy - but really this shouldn't be something I need to take into consideration when staying there - the food and beverage team did not appear to be able to handle the amount of guests staying there.

I was there for a conference and neither our morning tea or afternoon tea arrived on time and the toasted sandwiches for morning tea were again cold - nothing says yuck like cold melted cheese and a thrown together plate of lacklustre toasted sammies.

The reception staff as always were very pleasant and that + the comfy beds is probably the best I can say about the Urban this time round. But really you can get that in plenty of other hotels in Brisbane. I wouldn't stay there if this was not booked through my work.

Room Tip: Don't sleep in an adjoining room .... don't bother with room service breakfast
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Hotel U, General Manager at Hotel Urban Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Thanks for your review caite64,

We're pleased to hear that our warm and friendly staff have made you feel so welcome during each of your stays with us, and you have enjoyed our famously comfy Urban Snorer beds.

It's very disappointing to hear that you have experienced some noise issues during your stay and our food has not lived up to your expectations. We always encourage our guests to let us know if they are disappointed with any aspects of their stay so we have the opportunity to be able to rectify any issues. If you stay again, please contact me directly should you have any concerns.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel several times and find the location very appealing however it is not in the center of the city but still in easy walking distance. On the plus side, the management appreciates returing guest with a small gift which is a nice touch. The staff is friendly and helpful on the reception as well as in the restaurant. The rooms are a decent size and most of them have balcony access with views towards the city. On the negative side are the very high internet charges and very slow speed with a download of 3.65 mbs and a capped download volume. This would need to changed as in todays world most hotels offer free internet access with unlimited downloads. If wou you need the internet for business as I do this is no longer acceptable. Another negative point is the cleanliness of the shower floor with discolored joints and the noise from the road can be bothersome.

Room Tip: Select high floors as the view towards the city is better.

Hi Paul I,

Thanks for choosing to stay with us so frequently for business, our friendly staff love welcoming back familiar faces, as well as new ones too.

It's great to hear that you enjoy our convenient location to the city and our spacious rooms. We are so sorry to hear that the quality of the shower has not always met your expectations. We really pride ourself on providing spotless rooms for our guests so please contact us directly at the front desk if your room is not up to our high standards, so that we can re-accommodate you where possible.

Thanks again Paul I, we look forward to welcoming you back again next time.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

I arrived at Hotel at 01:00 from the airport. Check in was painless and pleasant enough. Room was comfortable although a bit dim and I could not find the light switches. The girls on reception were great as were the two Glaswegian guys in the bar. I did not know my breakfast was included and I should have been given vouchers on arrival. Found this out on day 2 (of 3). To sort this out I was comped a dinner instead which was very acceptable.
All in all a comfortable, pleasant stay. Pity about the hill but I suppose that's a bit out of hotel's control. Handy for downtown, the station and Suncorp.
Really happy with all the staff I encountered, especially the young ladies on reception who were very friendly and helpful.
Apart from the cost, I would happily stay again

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo

Thanks for your review GMcC_7,

We're really pleased to hear that you enjoyed a comfortable stay and our convenient location. It's always nice to hear glowing feedback about our warm and welcoming staff, they certainly work very hard at earning this reputation.

We're glad to hear that they could sort out the minor glitch with your breakfast quickly and efficiently. Thanks for the feedback about the light switches too.

We look forward to welcoming you again, next time you are staying in Brisbane.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

I,ve stayed at this hotel on many occasions due to a contract it has with my company.
It,s never a pleasure to stay here. Most rooms seem to have a paper thin adjoining door that allows you to hear every sound from the next room, including bodily functions.There are no ceiling lights, making it dark and gloomy, the toilets smell, and the shower always leaks.There,s also one senior desk staff manager who,s the most unpleasant man I,ve ever encountered in a hotel.

1  Thank aracana_1

Thanks for your feedback aracana_1,

We really pride ourself on providing a warm and welcoming 'home away from home' stay for our guests, so it's very disappointing to hear that our hotel hasn't met your expectations in this regard.

We generally receive glowing reports about how friendly and helpful our staff are. We would like to look into this further, so we welcome you to contact us at stay@hotelurban.com.au with more information. Or please ask for me in person next time you stay for business so that we can ensure that your experience is more enjoyable moving forward.

As with any hotel, we do experience leaking taps from time to time, however if there is a maintenance requirement in a room, we are very quick to rectify this, so it is alarming to hear that you have experienced this each time you have stayed with us. Once again, if you encounter any future problems, please contact myself or the front desk directly, so that we can move you to a more suitable room.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

We choose the elegance package as we loved the room.

However, having a wedding at the urban was the most difficult and most stress full part of organising our wedding due to the lack of effort from the events management team. I am a very easy person and I don't expect big things, I just wanted the events manager to respond to our communication in a timely manner - not wait days/weeks for a simple response.

The manager stated we could have any room configuration we wanted, but later stated we really could only have 3 options due to fire hazards, space, etc. In the end after much effort from us and little from the events management team, we got what we wanted - we had to show up at the hotel 3 days before the wedding and force this issue. The room was beautiful set up and how we wanted it.

The urban hotel also made a mockery of our wedding cake. Most chefs would know how to cut up a cake. We had 70 guests and our cake would feed 80 guests if cut 1" x 1" however they cut it 1" x 1" x 1" and re-iced it. Then proceeded to cut up the kitchen cake, that could feed an additional 30 people. I am lost where all this went as know one had this many pieces. The icing tasted bad and the cake dried out too fast. The week before we attended a 21st and had the same cake to feed the same amount of people - it worked perfectly. What went wrong?

We spent over $10,000 to have the wedding reception at the urban hotel and to this day have not received a proper apology. The urban hotel takes no responsibility for their actions. Very unprofessional business practices!

Further to this after spending that kind of money we thought we had been given a late check-out, we quickly relised they wanted us out by 10am the day after our wedding. Not very nice!
Lastly the car park is poorly set up and is difficult to manoeuvre.
Expect no sorry's or apologises from the staff at the urban.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Hotel U, General Manager at Hotel Urban Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2013

Hi Cherie F,

Thanks for posting your feedback about your wedding, and thanks for choosing Hotel Urban to host your big day in our popular event space.

Cherie, I am sure you would agree that whilst you were oversees in the lead up to your wedding (after confirming with us 6 prior to your special event) that communication between us was made difficult due to the fact the team was receiving no response from the email address you provided on the booking form. I also understand that the local contact provided was also unable to provide information as they too were finding it difficult to communicate to the wedding party.

My understanding from feedback received the following day after your function was that the evening was a total success and the changes the team were presented with on the night were dealt with in a professional and courteous manner without disrupting your special day.

With regards to the cake, and as explained in person, no additional icing was added. I understand that our team followed your exact instructions which were to slice the kitchen cake first and then to distribute one tier of the official cake to the guests and return the top tier to yourself.

We would have greatly appreciated feedback to be provided to us in person the following morning when our Wedding Coordinator came in on her day off to ensure breakfast was in order and to gather feedback from the previous evening. Being on-site this particular morning myself, I was pleased to hear only positive and glowing comments from your guests and wedding party, and as a result of your function we have had two subsequent function enquiries.

Cherie, our team pride themselves in providing exceptional and personalised service to our brides and grooms to be. It is what we are known for. Feedback I receive after each and every event is exceptional, and the function rooms we offer are some of the best in the city.

I understand that the team have been in recent contact with you and that this matter was resolved so it is disappointing to read your comments on Trip Advisor. I am happy to discuss this matter with you directly if you would like to contact the hotel and ask to speak with me.

We wish you and your new husband Mathew all the success and happiness for the future

Reviewed June 24, 2013

We always stay at Hotel Urban, it is super groovy, with a great reception waiting area with complimentary drinks, it has a fun pool area and is close to most Brisbane esk things. We stay here between once a year or up to 3 times a year with 2 children and 2 adults. It is fairly consistent. Staff are friendly and the rooms are clean. We love the position as it is easy for Wallabies matches yet central to the city and gardens. We often eat at the restaurant for ease (which is unusually as we normally dont eat at hotel restaurants, its like a rule in our house, this is the exception to our rule). The food is always delicious, but no matter what we/they do they can not get the meals out in a time efficient manner, we always and I mean alway, wait extraordinary (ridiculous) amounts of time, we are talking breakfast or dinner. Late May we left having not ordered dessert, 3 adults at about $12-15 a pop, I am not sure how they can afford money to walk out the door like that......and yet, we keep going back, the staff are nice and the food is great, no-ones perfect! Last time they even upped the ante andnhad great colouring book packs for the kids (they also had a child's menu).

I did beat the system 2 nights ago....room service and breakfast in our room...that came in a timely manner but not viable when 6 of us trying to eat together!

I would not let this minor imperfection put you off this Groovy hotel it is a must if staying in Brisbane.

Room Tip: Never had an issue on any level...you are safe...oh, beware the carpark is tight!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Hotel U, General Manager at Hotel Urban Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Hi kirra99,

Thanks so much for your review and choosing to stay with us us regularly – we love welcoming back familiar faces. We're thrilled to hear that you love our unique designer style and convenient location.

It's very disappointing that you have experienced some delays in our restaurant. We do prepare everything fresh, so it can sometimes take slightly longer, however, we certainly don't want to keep our diners waiting for an unreasonable amount of time so thank-you for drawing this to our attention.

We will certainly look into how we can offer a more efficient dining experience so that next time you visit you can enjoy our delicious food even sooner.

Thanks again kirra99, we look forward to welcoming you back again next time.

Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

Was attending a function here so location was perfect. Bed and pillows were very comfy but where are the lights!! The room was only lit by 2 bedside lamps and a desk lamp. Be careful in carpark. It is like some sort of maze with pillons everywhere. I was driving a small car and it was challenging to say the least.

• Stayed: June 2013
Hotel U, General Manager at Hotel Urban Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2013

Hi Purple31,

Thanks so much for posting your review, we're pleased to hear that you enjoyed staying in such a convenient location and sleeping in our comfortable Urban Snorer bed.

Thanks for the feedback about the lights – we are currently in the process of adding additional lighting to each and every room. In terms of the car park, we are addressing this situation with improved signage on the best way to manoeuvre your car.