“Awful, terrible, rude”

Best Western Astor Metropole Hotel & Apartments
Ranked #135 of 167 Hotels in Brisbane
Reviewed September 17, 2006

Would never wish this place on anyone. Stayed at this motel for work in Sep06. Outside appearance is deceiving. Rude staff phoned me 30 mins before I arrived (at 6.30pm) to ask if two members of our group (4 professional colleagues) would mind sharing a room, despite receiving confirmation of all 4 room bookings the week before. When we said we didn't want to share, the VERY RUDE employee huffed 'That's fine. Someone else will just have to go without because of you'. When we arrived the desk staff were extremely rude and unhelpful. We were booked in to the 4 star (laughable) tower apartments and the rooms were shabby (carpet fraying in the doorway and stains on the carpet) and poorly maintained (holes in the wall and roof, no remote for the TV, aircon didn't work). Despite being confirmed for 4 single rooms with queen sized beds, one member of the party was put in a room with two single beds. When this was brought to the attention of staff they grumbled and moved the person to a room with a queen. When talking to other guests in the elevator, all commented on the rudeness of staff so we know it wasn't just us. Overall a most unpleasant experience!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
5  Thank TropicalTravelBug
There are newer reviews for Best Western Astor Metropole Hotel & Apartments

Reviewed September 15, 2006

Only for we could not get availability elsewhere in Brisbane i would never have stayed at this premises. The rooms were filthy, did not have a safe when we were told there was one. The cafe/restaurant was absolutely filthy with paint crumbling off the wall and a view into a filthy kitchen, filthy floors and windows.
One morning while I was drying my hair sitting in front on the mirror I stood and large pieces of broken glass. The room was obviously not vacuumed from the previous visitors. When I brought this to the attention of the reception I was told that this was "not very good". Got no apology whatsoever.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank Teatime39
Reviewed June 13, 2006

Only stayed one night and glad. Room was very small and bathroom even smaller. the beds were aweful. extremely soft, had backache in the morning. No headboard. No extra pillows. The bathroom was disgusting. The soap for the sink was in an old plastic pop bottle. One of the worst hotels I have ever stayed at!!!

• Stayed: June 2006
6  Thank emilymaye
Reviewed June 3, 2006

got our first room changed because of the high noise level from huge airconditioning unit outside the bedroom window, only alternate room was one level below and was quieter until 6.30a.m when they changed the bins below our window,picking up the full ones and dropping the empties.broken window(pane missing)in the bathroom,broken arm on the chair in the lounge,torn fabric on the sofa,when we moved the chair in the bedroom the back fell off.cockroaches in the wardrobe.they didnt clean the table surfaces in the room and the only soap was liquid soap.there was other problems but they fixed the leaking bath tap the next day.advertised as 3.5* suite but there were backpackers in the adjacent rooms partying up.
after many trips to australia this is our only bad experience but wont pay in advance again and definitely will not believe star ratings again.

4  Thank kiwipilgrim
A TripAdvisor Member
Liverpool (UK)
Reviewed April 6, 2006

Myself and a friend stayed at this hotel in January 2006 for two nights. We had a twin room in the hotel. The place looks fine from the outside, however our room was truly awful.
Not only was it very small with a view of a brick wall, the place was filthy. Everything was stained; the walls, carpet, bedding. The bathroom was the smallest I have ever seen. Also do not expect to get much sleep here. Virtually all night people were shouting outside.
The experience did not put me off Brisbane which is a great city. I returned to the city some weeks later and stayed at a nearby hostel in a private room. The difference in standards was incredible, despite the fact that the hostel was a lot cheaper. To sum up I would give this place a miss at any price.

• Stayed: January 2006
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 12, 2006

To put this and other reviews in context, the Astor is really three different hotels in one. I stayed in the old, run down part and my scores reflect this. Your mileage may vary.

Comments applying to all parts of the hotel are that its location is excellent, the staff are friendly and helpful, and the space-age parking is free - a real benefit in this expensive city.

The four star apartments are in a new tower opened in 2005, and from what I read are well appointed with fantastic views across the city. The 3.5 star rooms are in the older building, probably have airconditioning and more than one lightbulb with views over the surrounding streets.

I stayed for one night in January 2006 for one night, booked through a lastminute booking website for AUD79. At this price, I got what I paid for, but no more. Tucked away at the back overlooking the car park, the first room I was offered was tatty and had just one low-power lightbulb that lit only half the room and was impossible to read by. The second room was little better, in serious need of redecoration, but at least it was brightly lit.

If you get a good price, go for it; but don't pay the rack rate for the three star accommodation here.

• Stayed: January 2006
7  Thank getdown
Reviewed November 5, 2005

All I can say is a room is a room - nice and centrally located, within easy walking distance of the rail link to the airport and Gold Coast, nothing spectacular but the room was clean and comfortable enough, and all I was using it for was sleeping.

• Stayed: August 2005, traveled on business