“Disastrous stay and extremely badly managed!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN Astor Metropole Hotel

BEST WESTERN Astor Metropole Hotel
Ranked #124 of 162 Hotels in Brisbane
Singapore, Singapore
“Disastrous stay and extremely badly managed!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

The room was quite literally filthy and the floor of the apartment was covered in a film of dust as was the bedside table, kitchenette table and television. Wardrobe, safe, and telephone were all unusable due to being dirt or broken. We immediately reported our issues to the front desk. Again little effort went into cleaning the room and it was still disgusting, this was completely unacceptable and again I complained to the front desk. I was told there was nothing that could be done at this time however tomorrow we would be upgraded (which was never given).

Communication between guest, front desk staff and management was non-existent. Our complaints went on for several days and were acknowledged by a free breakfast which I would never have paid for as a guest (AUD 15 approx).

We checked out of the hotel on the Sunday morning. I obviously had an issue paying the full cost of the hotel seeing as it had been constant disruptions for the first two days of our rugby tour. Front desk noted that we needed to pay and management will investigate. After failing to contact me contacted them and had an email back from management who completely failed to note what complaints had been made. I am awaiting a response but assume management are too embarrassed to now discuss. Several emails have gone unanswered.

A truly embarrassing standard of hospitality however location is quite good.

Room Tip: Go somewhere nearby.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank MJW1985

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for one night on our way through Brisbane. The location was quite handy not far from Roma Street Station, and of course Roma Street Parklands were nearby as well. Unfortunately we didn't get a chance to check it out that much. The exterior and lobby of the hotel seemed to be in quite good condition, and walking in, we had high hopes for our room. Unfortunately our expectations were not met. Exiting the lift on our floor, we got a fairly hefty wiff of something not dissimilar to cigarette smoke. Luckily the room was not affected. We were surprised to see that the room was fully tiled, but there was a rug in the 'living room' section to add a bit of warmth. The furniture was all very old and a bit shabby - the couch felt a bit broken when we sat on it. The fixtures and fittings were all in desperate need of an update too. I needed to fill up the bath using water from the shower as the bath tap wouldn't work. There were some things I found a little tacky, like the soap dispensers and commercial style toilet roll holder - felt more like I was using a public bathroom. The two beds they had put together to make the king bed were different heights, but it was ok as long as we both stayed on our own side. On the plus side, we both had a great sleep, didn't get much noise at all in our room, and we really enjoyed sitting out on the balcony overlooking the parklands with a drink in the evening.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights while travelling for work. The room was pretty average. Nice high floor with a good view, however the room was in serious need of an update. The cleaner didn't arrive after my first night and at about 5pm after arriving back in the room, a room cleaner arrived and offered a change of towels. In a hurry to make it out, I took a towel, but the bed remained unmade and the room was not freshened up. Not a big drama, but would have expected the bed to have been made! One morning at breakfast (breakfast wasn't included) I went downstairs and asked what I needed to do to get an omelette. I was told I had to pay extra - fair enough because it was made to order and then after sitting down, I was told that I only was able to eat from the buffet. I was going to argue the point, but gave up because the staff member was struggling with english and I didn't have time. Wouldn't stay again.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a good view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Buderim
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

The hotel is average and was charging significantly higher accommodation prices on Saturday 22.06.13 due to the Lions visiting Rugby game. The offer included "A Free Bottle of Wine on Arrival". Checking in we were told it would be delivered to our room. It didn't happen and on checking out, we were refused the offered wine despite written evidence. A complaint to head office saw an offer of a $25 voucher for a future stay. We will not stay here again as we were mislead. Advise all to ensure you receive any offers before you leave. Poor form for Best Western.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank BuderimDiner
Desford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

Stayed at the Astor for a night and all I can really say was that it was "just ok." While the location is excellent, the rooms had plenty of space but the decor was very dated and tired. There was no carpeting on the floor (only tiles) and very dated furniture and fittings, especially in the kitchen and bathroom, including public toilet style toilet roll and soap dispensers.
I had breakfast in the morning and there was sufficient choice in the restaurant but the service not great. The table wasn't cleared from the previous occupant and only when I asked the waitress did I get given a small plate and a bowl.
In summary, the hotel was ok for a night but I wouldn't personally choose to stay there again or for a longer period of time.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Lutherville, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

We chose this hotel as we wanted a small apartment style room rather than just a standard hotel room. For the price which was about $A160 we thought this was good value. The hotel is a bit old and tired but the staff were friendly and helpful.

The thing we did not like was that the Hotel is located some distance from the main City part of Brisbane. It was on the top of a hill so there was a lot of walking which probably not a bad thing.

The hotel was a good choice for price and size of room but next time I would prefer to stay closer to the City or in the Southbank area.

Room Tip: For breakfast it is better and cheaper to eat out. Plenty of choice locally.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

Spent 4 nights here on business on the 11th floor. Unfortunately they were tiling the 10th floor so the noise started from 7am.
They said the room wasn't paid for which I doubt so may be doing a card charge back yet.
Parking is hard to get to & you find yourself doing laps if you're not careful & the attendant needs to be called to get in, out or even get something from the car as it is a stacker. If in a small car the aerial must be removed too to fit on the lower level of the stacker.
Rooms are tidy & comfortable but the bed was 2 singles pushed together.
Is in a hilly location but close to the city & walkable to & from.
Breakfast is nothing special & for $20 you don't get coffee.
The entry & foyer is flash.
I probably will try elsewhere next time but no regrets.

• Stayed May 2013