Best Western Astor Metropole Hotel & Apartments
Ranked #154 of 169 Hotels in Brisbane
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I stayed here for two nights on business and was looking for good value and location. This has both. Other pros are a big tidy room with kitchen incl microwave & small oven, good amenities incl w/machine and friendly staff. The only cons are the A/C which is difficult to adjust so may cause problems especially in hot weather, the lack of fresh air as the windows don't open, and a delay at checkin. Other than that I enjoyed the stay and would return again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank AndrewwwGeelong

Reviewed August 26, 2012

It initially looked like very upscale hotel but in the end its a bit mediocre. Suitable for a clean bed for a night. My room had a defective lock. Otherwise it was comfortable and spacious. A bit noisy during the night as there is a very loud clump that comes with the drainage (or cistern) system. Woke me up as it sounded like someone falling down. After a few times, I got used to it. The restaurant is ok and tended to get crowded if there are tour groups.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 26, 2012

I have stayed at the Astor plenty of times due to proximity - it is very close to Central Station and walking distance down to the shops. We stayed on the 8th floor in Tower room and it was certainly pleasant enough. There was a balcony on the room which featured a nice view back over Spring Hill. I like the kitchenette - it comes in handy for washing dishes and re-heating food for lunch! It was quiet and we stayed 3 nights without complaint. The restaurant is particularly nice with some interesting dishes - especially breakfast. However, we would have preferred the room service option - this hotel does not have room service.

Room Tip: I found it better to stay on the back side of the hotel facing Spring Hill. It seemed quieter.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 24, 2012

I travel a lot in Canada on business, and have slept in every conceivable type of lodging, from 5 diamond resorts to the back seat of my rented car. So while not 5 diamond, this hotel was a good, downtown budget hotel. I needed a quick change place that was close to the CBD and easy to/from the airport for work I was doing in Solomon Islands. The room the first night was great after a long trip from Vancouver, shower, close to places to wander around for an hour or so, and it even had a washing machine! Staff were friendly and helpful, especially Alistair (all people with that name of course are wonderful, of course!) seriously, he was great, even when he told me there was no wi if, but there was a connector cable. The night coming back from Solomon's was good too, though I would have loved the room with the washing machine that night I can tell you! So, in summary, it's a budget hotel, 25 minutes to the airport from Central Station which is almost literally at the bottom of the stairs through Edward Park. The beds are comfortable, the staff I talked to were great, and room service wabenoit too bad. Oh, and I just went across the street to Edward Park to use Brisbane's amazing free wi if in city parks for my Skype meeting! I'd frankly stay again, but confirm a room with a washing machine if you're coming back from Solomon Islands!

Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Room is large and quite clean, but it doesn't matter how good it is if the air con is no good. Pulled up the Air con manual on the net and worked out that guests have no control over the air con in their room. I then confirmed that it's centrally controlled on heat cycle only during Winter!!!!!!. You can't even run the fan without toasting marshmallows with the heat coming out. That would be OK is you lived in a place where it actually gets cold, but when outside temp gets above 20 degrees C during the day, (Room ends up in the mid 20s) and NO natural ventilation (non Balcony room) then we have ourselves a nice little hothouse during the day, and a very stuffy room at night. Keep looking folks, because the last time we stayed it was summer and the air con wasn't working then either. Just one simple but important thing can drop a rating from 4 to 1.

Room Tip: INSIST..no... DEMAND a balcony room. At least you can open a door and get some fresh breeze coming i...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank EnjoyingLife1964
Reviewed August 9, 2012

On the positive side, our room was large, with an enormous (and comfortable) bed and appeared clean, with an adequate shower; no toiletries and no frills, but this is about what I'd expect from a city hotel in this price category. There were a couple of gripes with the room: the air-con didn't seem to work very well, and the toilet suffered from a sticking ballcock - we lifted the cistern lid and fixed this. The main disappointment was the attitude of the staff. After positive helpfulness and friendliness - or at the very least, a cheerful "g'day" - everywhere else we'd stayed in Australia, the staff here seemed to have had any sense of humour surgically removed. This was particularly so at breakfast, which was apparently run on minimal staffing (one poor overworked woman, who I can hardly blame for being miserable); there was little choice on the breakfast buffet (for example, the choice of fruit was between peaches in syrup and cut-up apple), and coffee was make-it-yourself, with a cheap variety of instant coffee, unless you paid extra for real coffee. I was also slightly dubious when, after checking out, we stored our luggage for a few hours - we weren't given any receipt, and when we collected it from the luggage room we could have walked off with anyone's luggage.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sue_at_folly
Reviewed August 1, 2012

I travel to Australia regularly for business and have been visiting the Best Western hotel, Wickham Terrace a couple of times and am very pleased with the overall experience.

The hotel is located in a very convenient location:
a) right next to edward gardens, where i usually go in the evenings for a walk
b) 5 mins walking distance from Queens street, which is the main market area
c) 5 mins walking distance from a no of easy bars, resteraunts & bottle shops which I find quite a plus, especially when you are visiting on business trips & dont really have the patience to go hunting for food & groceries
d) 2 mins walking distance from the train station

there is a restaurant in house and the cooks are usually flexible to dish out a meal of your choice.

the rooms are neat and clean and regularly maintained.

the staff are cordial and well behaved especially Navtej, Ganesh, Zeenat, Trevor to name a few.

overall I am very happy with the level of service I receive at the Best Western, considering the fact that most of my trips are for 4 weeks and more.

Pranav Lavania

Room Tip: Rooms that face the pool(above) are the best in my opinion
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business