“Do not stay”

The Sebel Brisbane
Ranked #32 of 169 Hotels in Brisbane
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 23, 2014

Booked a room for 2 adults and 2 children. Advised when we checked in at 9pm that the sofa lounge was not made up. When housekeeping turned up to make the bed 45 minutes later he handed us the sheets and asked us if we wanted him to make the bed. I took the sheets and told him that I would do it. He did not offer but asked us if we wanted to do his job....its gets better.

I then asked for 2 pillows for the bed we just made up. I was told that there were 4 in the main bedroom and we could use 2 of them. Thanks mate I know that there are 2 in the main bedroom - they are for the bed in the main bedroom. I then asked for another 2 much to his disgust.

He then returned 10 minutes later with one pillow. The classic was that he gave me the one pillow that was not even in the pillow case and then was told that there was no other pillows left in the entire hotel ??? I can understand if we were staying at a backpacker place for $30 a night. Isn't this suppose to be a 4 star hotel.

I then looked in the mini bar fridge. The 2 bottles of water had there seals broken and were obviously refilled by the prior guests. When I asked him to take them away he just looked at me. I then had to explain again that I did not want the water and that I did not wish to charged for the water.

This is the 5th time we have stayed in this hotel (3 times in the past 5 weeks for 16 nights). The last time we were here we - made our own beds, had to plea to house keeping to come back when we were not in the room (advised by them that they finished work and this was our only time to clean the room), washing machine did not work (dirty water stayed in the machine for the entire time we were there.

My advice - great location, absolutely the worst service you could imagine. Certainly not up to Accor standard. We are advantage plus members and have loyalty to the Accor brand. This hotel does not do the brand any favours.

Stay somewhere else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank Tim H
Tom B, General Manager at The Sebel Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

Dear Tim, thanks for letting us know about the issues you experienced recently. I apologise for the lapses you have recounted and would be keen to speak with you directly to resolve this matter. It is not up to our standards or our usual level of guest satisfaction, so clearly something has gone wrong on this occasion which we would like to discuss with you and remedy. I would very much appreciate you contacting me on 07 3224 3510 (DDI). Regards, Tom Bloomfield - General Manager.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,036)

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed January 21, 2014

We were here for two nights and found the room to be adequate, although not special. The location of the hotel is great for exploring Brisbane, however. I'm used to free WiFi in hotels and find having to pay (for spotty service) off putting. I understand that's the norm in Australia, however.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Thanks for taking the time to review us. We're pleased you generally enjoyed your stay and also understand your viewpoint in WiFi. Aside from paid options, we provide complimentary WiFi to our loyalty members at the 'silver' level and above. We also offer 30 minutes daily for all guests in the lobby area. I hope our team advised you about this on arrival.

Reviewed January 21, 2014

Nicely appointed hotel right in the centre of the city. Very close to the Mall & Riverside centre which has some great eating places. Upper floors have good views & hotel has a modest pool, which was great on the very hot day I was there. I wouldn't hesitate in staying here again.

Room Tip: Upper floor with separate bedroom
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Andy0763

Thanks for your comments, Andy - we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed January 19, 2014

We stayed in early January 2014 after a 10 year break,. The rooms have dated a bit. Still it's a not a bad value proposition. Location is right next to the mall, plenty of eating options nearby. Car parking is a little expensive. All in all an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

Thanks, Fiona - we appreciate you letting us know about your stay.

Reviewed January 19, 2014

We stayed christmas night at the Sebel Brisbane and we were not dissapointed. The food (christmas lunch) was amazing. We had a buffet and the sweeties and pastries were to die for. Our accomodation was very nice, but I was expecting more. The rooms were very small and a bit dated. The Hotel sits above Central Station, and is a short stroll to the Queen St Mall (shoppers beware) and many of the Brisbane restaurants. Great stay and great food. BTW the pillows were brilliant which made for a perfect sleep. Our buffet breakfast was one of the best we have had.

Room Tip: There is no shade around the pool and only a couple of umbrella's. Make sure you take a hat and...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi Mel, thanks so much for your feedback and great to hear that you had a most enjoyable Christmas with us!

Reviewed January 16, 2014

The Sebel Suites in Brisbane CBD is as central as can be. Walking distance to the shopping district, Southbank, museums and most restaurants. The apartment was tidy and we found it good value for money. We were located on the 9th level so noise from the busy streets did not bother us a bit. Would gladly stay here again next time I'm in Brisbane.

Room Tip: Anything above the 9th level would be good to avoid getting bothered by road noise.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Themrx

Thank you for your endorsement. We hope you will return to us the next time you visit from NZ.