“Good place to stay”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Melbourne, Australia
“Good place to stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2011

The location is well positioned and walking distance to mall, river, park and galleries.
One bedroom apartment was a good size with all basic facilities.
Staff were friendly and provided good service. The gym facilities are average.

• Stayed October 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Polish first
Wollongong, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2011

This was my first stay at this hotel. Reception were friendly and helpful and my one experience with the room service staff was also pleasant. I stayed in a studio room - which after staying for a week was a little claustrophobic - and the bathroom was tiny. Other than the lack of space the room was clean and well appointed, although the TV was mounted on the wall directly above the desk, so sitting at the desk and watching TV at the some time was problematic.

I wasn't tempted with the over priced breakfast, but there was a supermarket close by as well as a number of cafes. Meals in the restaurant were tasty and reasonably priced.

Will be happy to stay there again, but for longer trips would be looking at getting an apartment

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Queensland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2011

I've stayed at the Sebel Suites several times since my last review. Each time, overall, my stays have been very comfortable.

I was upgraded twice to a larger suite and have always been able to access the room before normal check-in.

Rooms continue to be neat and tidy. Front reception staff are also very friendly.

Great hotel! Will stay again.

Room Tip: Get a high floor or noise from street/bars can be a bit much.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2011

Brisbane (IMHO) does not have many great hotels. I travel there at least once a month and have tried a fair few of them - but the Sebel Suites is one of my favourite hotels there because you get an apartment and it is in a great location for heading out to restaurants, take away joints, pubs and other interesting bits of Brisbane. It is also normally pretty reasonably priced (I normally book it on lastminute.com.au as a "secret hotel" so get a great rate).

The suites are relatively modern, are a decent size, have a kitchen and laundry (and most times they provide a sachet of laundry powder so you can do your own washing). They are members of the Global Hotels Alliance - and while I am not big on hotel memberships, I have joined this one as I like the idea of earning "experiences". The rooms all have balconies - and while I have never had a great view it is great to get outside if you want to - and the Brisbane climate often encourages it! That said it is pretty noisy outside, so you are not hanging on the balcony having a few glasses of wine...

The beds are comfortable - not super luxurious but they do the job. But again I really love the location - it is really central - easy to get to most parts of the city for leisure or business. It is also just down the road from the car rental drop off point for most of the major car rental companies.

The service - while ok, is not great. And I never eat at the hotel - there's a great cafe across the street where I normally head for breakfast.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank timbo2002
Perth WA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2011

The Sebel Suites have great staff - unfortunately, the rooms do not match their smiling helpfulness. We stayed in an Executive 1 Bedroom including breakfast and valet parking (which is additional) - and the breakfast and parking was fantastic. We never had to wait for the car, the staff were never too "busy" to get it ready and they were totally booked out for the weekend eu to the AFL and Rugby matches being played. However - value for money - I'm sorry, but no. Due to the abovementioned sporting event - $500 per night - seriously? I can stay at Palazzo Versace including breakfast and valet parking in a suite for $50 more! Will I stay again? No - and definitely not for those prices.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Siddaryl
Madrid, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2011

I like this place. Location is good (its downtown, so not in the main going out area of Fortitude Valley, but very close to shopping and restaurants). Apartments are large and clean. They are modern and well kept. Service was ok - good intentions but not very professional (it took 5 calls to confirm they could do dry cleaning on Saturday morning, but it all worked out in the end). I'll leave the fact that I hate Brisbane out of the equation - the hotel is good.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Newtown
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2011

I stayed at the Sebel Suites for 1 night earlier this week. I was in Brisbane to watch a Rugby League game and I choose this hotel as they offered a guaranteed midday check-in for an additional $20, which meant I could check-in, freshen up and still have time to get to the game for the 3pm kick off.

I arrived at the hotel at about 11.20am and informed reception that I was there, as expected, the room was not ready that early and I was asked if I wanted to leave my bags and head out again, I informed Erin that I would wait around to check in. At exactly midday I headed back to the reception desk to enquire about my room and was told it was now ready. I had decided to book the Premium Studio room which I purchased at the ‘advance rate’ of $180 for the 1 night. The premium room came with the promise of complimentary bottled water and fresh fruit, but there was no fruit provided. I was on the 25th floor, and the view over the city was very nice, especially in the evening with the city lights.

My first impression was that the room was fairly small, the bathroom more so, for 1 or 2 nights it would be fine though. The room was spotlessly clean, as was the bathroom, except for one thing, possible dead insects in the light fitting, maybe maintenance could fix that? (Room 2503)
The bed was comfy, blinds did a good job blocking out the early morning light and the room was very quiet. It was nice to also have 2 small windows that would open up for some fresh air.
I ordered room service (dessert) which did have a small problem with it, but when I bought this to the attention of the reception staff at check out, Anne Marie (I think her name was) did an amazing job. She showed the Chef the photo of it that I took, apologised profusley, and had the room service cost and my early check in fee removed from my bill. There really was not anymore she could have done.

When booking the hotel I thought as a treat I would indulge in the hotel breakfast, unfortunately that was really disappointing. The regular cost for it would be $32 but as I prepaid it I was only charged $22, I still felt that was too expensive. Breakfast is in the restaurant attached to the foyer which is light and opens out on to the street. For breakfast you can pick one item off the al la carte menu and then help yourself to the continental breakfast. I ordered the eggs, bacon, toast and tomato (standard price $13), the bacon was so hard I could not cut through it and there was 1 tiny piece of tomato on the side. I ordered similar the day before at a cafe up the road and it was cheaper and much nicer. As for the continental section, I used the last bowl for cereal and in the 45 minutes I was there, they were not replaced. I helped myself to a glass of orange juice then that was empty, it was not replenished whilst I was there either. I should also say that I was down at breakfast at just after 8am, so it wasn’t late that no-one else would be down for breakfast.

This review does contain a lot of negatives, but there were positive aspects of my stay. Brett on reception/concierge was wonderful helping me get change for a taxi and hailing me one. The location is brilliant for shopping, the shops are basically right out the front door, and the main shopping centre and street is 1 block away, you really couldn’t get much closer. If you are in Brisbane to watch football at Suncorp like I was, you probably could get a closer hotel to the stadium for the same price.

I have since received an email from the hotel group asking for feedback, which I thought was a great idea, and I have passed on my thoughts about my stay.

Overall, I am unsure if I would stay at this Sebel again, especially if I was heading to the footy, if it was for a shopping trip I would consider it, but there is no way I would even contemplate having breakfast there. There are far to many cafés in close vicinity that offer better value and a better meal.

One tip whilst staying in Brisbane, visit the Roma St Parklands, what a beautiful area to spend a couple of hours walking around.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo