“Convenient and Modern”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Rockhampton, Australia
“Convenient and Modern”
Reviewed March 18, 2011

This is my preferred hotel for business trips to Brisbane.
The rooms are modern and have just been refurbished. The desk setup is practical and works well. However, there was no convient power point near the bed for my phone charger.
The restaurant is great for breakfast, but the room service menu is limited, and a bit on the 'arty' side. Try the club sandwiches for lunch

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Polish first
Brisbane
Reviewed March 15, 2011

This was one of the nicer places I have stayed in but not the best in Brisbane. I got a special deal paying about$160 a night to stay here. The beds were comfy, the a/c settings worked well, staff were friendly and facilities and amenities were all good.

I was disappointed as the website promised a heated pool and it sure didn't feel heated when I got in. Was ice cold with a lustry breeze going, so if you are like me and looking forward to a relaxing swim in a nice warm pool, then think ensure the pool is going to be heated at the time you want to go swimming.

The doors were incredibly noisy! I am used to this having stayed at many hotels, but these actually scared me at first they were so loud upon hearing the neighbour shutting their doors.

All in all I would rate this a 4.5 star experience and would stay there again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Brisbane, Queensland
Reviewed January 14, 2011

Stayed here for one night during Brisbane floods when cut off from home. Never again. 2.5 stars at best. Poky room. TV didn't work, toilet didn't flush. Huge amount of mould between inner and outer frames of windows. Weird air-con that I could not understand. $7 for a bottle of (non-fancy) water. 55c a minute for cable only internet, no wifi at all. Asian backpacker hotels put this place to shame. What must our tourists think? Anyone giving it more than two stars has obviously never stayed there.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank TheTonyG
Weliington, New Zealand
Reviewed January 2, 2011

Although the furniture in our room was a little dated the facilities were good and we loved staying here. Our family of Mum, Dad, 15 year old and 10 year old had a 2 bedroom family suite which turned out to be a one bedroom suite (separate lounge and bathroom) and an adjoining studio unit which the kids loved. The setup meant we had our own corridor so we could leave the room to the kids unit open into the lounge. The location was fantastic. In the city. Heaps of eating places and shops on the doorstep. A five minute walk to the river. Mr 10 was possibly the only hotel guest brave enough to use the pool which was quite cool. The staff were, quite possibly, the nicest I have encountered for a very long time.

Although we were only there for one night at the end of a 2 week trip to Australia nothing was too much trouble and each time we entered the lobby they asked us how we were and remembered what the kids were planning to do and asked about how they’d found their activities. When we got there the rooms had 2 double beds and when we pointed out that we needed one set up as a twin they were quickly on to it. We wished we were staying here longer.

Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Tuataragirl
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed November 18, 2010

The hotel itself lived up to it's 4.5 star rating but the service was normally good. I arrived at the hotel at around 4pm on a Saturday and checked in (with a slight delay), parked my car and went up to my room. After settling in I went for a walk to grab some dinner. When I arrived back to my door, my room key wouldn't work. I took it down to reception and complained and the girl happily re-coded my car and gave me an extra in case the other key didn't work.

The function rooms and the suites were nice but they were both facing the construction site so there wasn't a nice view and there was also a fair bit of noise. I wouldn't reccomend using the balcony during the day if you're a women, the construction workers will more then likely yell things at you.

If you're planning on eating out during your stay, do not use the hotel restaurant. My group of friends and I thought getting breakfast would be quick and easy since it was just downstairs, we were wrong. The food was extremely over-priced for what it was and when it was finally served (40 minutes later) it was cold and frankly quite awful tasting. When we asked where our food was since people who had came in after us had their food already the response I received was from the server who had an unpleasent look on her face was 'Oh, it is just being plated up now'. We received our food about 10 minutes after that. I'm not a chef but I'm pretty sure it doesn't take 10 minutes to chuck some bacon and eggs on a plate.

When checking out, I received the price of the food off my room as a discount and an apology from the manager which was nice. All in all, the stay wasn't bad but the service should be excellent all the time in a 4.5 star hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank caseymelissa
Australia
Reviewed November 14, 2010

Stayed here on a last minute whim as we were attending the very sad last Powderfinger concert. We book two connecting rooms for $750. Exxy to say the least, but hey, we thought, its the Sebel, we can get spoiled rotten. NOT!!

My God how unprofessional the reception was, with the so called "Manager" far to busy to attend to mere guests, leaving a girl in training to do the hard work. She took 15 minutes to process my PREPAID booking, with no help from him, until a porter took pity on her and helped. They then took $150 from my credit card incase of "incidentals". Anyway, we were still excited until we were told our room wasn't ready. At 3.30pm in the afternoon. We were told to wait and overhead the "Manager" from above tell the trainee that "Its ok, they are only last minute bookings anyway." We were not offered an apology, drink/coffee in the adjacent coffee shop - nothing.

Half an hour later, we were told we could have our room. We waited and waited and waited for the elevator and FINALLY got to our room - to find our cards did not work!! We tried several times and gave up in frustation. The "Manager" rolled his eyes and recoded them. Up again, waiting over 5 minutes for one of the 3 lifts. NO GO. A lovely girl came and checked and it turned out the battery was flat. So by 4.30pm we were pretty upset, as we were not even ready to head out to the concert where the gates opened at 5.00pm.

All said and done, we got into our room. Tried to make a coffee....the coffee pot was so filthy I refused to touch it. Went back down to sort this out as on the phone we were told they were too busy to attend to our room. So I grabbed a glass - all of which were DISGUSTING having been wiped out with what was obviously one of the bathroom towels by the size of the lint left behind in them. Tried to wash them myself in the kitchen - no dishwashing liquid. So into the room the children went, to find the beds had not been made up in the manner requested (twin). So housekeeping had to come and sort that out. So, out onto the balcony (For which we had to pay extra) only to find there was no outdoor furniture!!!! Coffee pot finally arrived, but was so bent out of shape, we had to make a filter from a Chux to filter out the coffee grounds to make the coffee barely drinkable.

Sooo, after this rather infuriating start, we went off to start our night (which was wonderful thank goodness!)

Next morning, I wander out of my room at 9.00am on the Sunday morning to find a cleaning woman IN MY ROOM demanding to check the MINIBAR!!!! Let me reiterate she had let herself into my room, no knocking, just a demand!

Upon complaining to reception, I asked the Manager to confirm what time he had my room ready, at which point he looked at me, through me and picked up the phone, pretending to make a call (except he forgot to dial any buttons) until I left. The girl on reception said I could have free parking to make up for it. YOU HAVE GOT TO BE JOKING!!!!! Will never EVER stay here and make sure I let all and sundry know of their appalling organisation and service. Especially that Manager....

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank CasualTraveller_9
Sydney
Reviewed November 5, 2010

I spent a night at the Sebel Suites. The room was a studio, just right for one person, would be pushing alright for two. The bed was very comfortable, and the sheets were very luxurious. There were plenty of clean towels and bathrobes available in the room. Very close to the shopping precinct on Queen Street, and a lot of the Brisbane night life. My only complaints would be the hot water in the shower not being consistent, and the noisy construction across the road. Otherwise, perfect stay!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business