“5 Star ?”

Stamford Plaza Brisbane
Ranked #32 of 169 Hotels in Brisbane
Reviewed May 4, 2014

We have just returned from spending one night in a superior king room with maginicifant views of the Story Bridge and Brisbane River. Wow . Our room was lovely, however lacking some free foxtel movies and channel, unfortunately we found the bathroom compliments were lacking as I had an empty shower cap box and only one shampoo and conditioner for two people for showers and coffee and tea compliments only enough to make one cup of tea and one cup of coffee, water which has always be complimentary in any stay overseas whether it be 4 star or 5 star in this hotel was $8.00 for two 600 ml bottles. Buffet Breakfast, now I have stayed in 4 star and never had to make your own coffee from a machine or make your own pancakes from a pancake machine, we were sitted next to the coffee machine and noted that a staff member had to assist serveral guests with the machine in either using the machine or the machine having to be maintained. Being a 5 star hotel we assumed we wouldn't be making our own tea and cofffee.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TraceyPandJeffP
Philippe K, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2014

Dear JeffandTracey,

Thank you for your constructive feedback. I note your comments regarding the room amenities and have passed this on to our Executive Housekeeper. Please accept my apologies for this. We appreciate your comments regarding the coffee machine as we are currently investigating how we can improve our coffee service in the Brasserie. I am pleased to read you enjoyed your room and the view, it is always fantastic watching the riverlife.

I hope we may have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future to showcase our 5 star service we are known for.

Philippe

Write a ReviewReviews (2,947)

Reviewed May 3, 2014

I did stay in this Hotel a few days ago.
It is a very expansive Hotel, and for the price paid it has got little features and benefits.
The only plus is the view to the River.
The Hotel is old and the staff look unhappy, like with most Hotels in Australia.
The Breakfast is honestly nothing special at all, but will set you back a whopping $42 per person.
This place is completely overpriced, and cannot delivery the features and benefits you would expect for that price.
Like so many Hotels in Australia cannot delivery this. But the profit margin needs to be high.
I personally cannot recommend this Hotel.

Room Tip: I would recommend to perhaps to recommend an Apartment Hotel while in Brisbane.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank hjty

Dear hjty,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. I was disappointed to read you did not find the hotel value for money and the staff looked unhappy. Please be assured I will discuss your comments with the management team. We always strive to provide excellent products and service and I am sorry to read this did not occur on this occasion.

Thank you once again for taking the time to bring this to our attention.
Kind Regards,

Reviewed May 3, 2014

This hotel is an absolutely amazing place to stay if you are looking for quality service, amenities and food. The rooms are of a high standard, with cleanliness and attention to detail a priority, the staff could not be any more friendly, courteous or helpful and the restaurant was second to none. The high standards maintained by the Stamford Plaza Brisbane will ensure that your stay is pleasant, memorable, comfortable and, above all else, all about 'you'.
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Room Tip: Rooms with a view of the river are very romantic :)

Dear Katiebutterfly,

Thank you for your fantastic review. I am delighted to read we exceeded all your expectations. I will be sure to share your lovely comments with the team as they always enjoy hearing when they make such a positive impression on our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed May 2, 2014

Have stayed at this hotel many times in the past with family and the latest time did not disappoint. Location is perfect, extensive buffet breakfast was delicious, beds were super comfy, cleanliness was spot on, valet car parking was prompt, not to mention huge value for money. Dinned at teppanyaki restaurant one night and this was a fabulous experience for us all. Thoroughly enjoyed our time and will be back!

Room Tip: All rooms are good as they all have river views! Try and get a Story Bridge view if possible! Lovely...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Merry N

Dear new008,

Firstly, thank you for returning to Stamford Plaza Brisbane and for your lovely review. I am thrilled to read you are never disappointed when you stay with us. I am pleased you enjoyed Kabuki, the teppanyaki is always a lot of fun and an entertaining experience. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed April 29, 2014

Love staying at the Stamford Plaza hotels, they always live up to expectation. We had a beautiful Superior King suite over looking the river.
The reception staff were lovely, as was the gentleman from housekeeping who delivered some ice. The tallest Concierge ever delivered up our tiny rental car without fuss.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Philippe K, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2014

Dear Deedee1503,

Thank you for your lovely review. I am delighted to read we met your expectations and you enjoyed the old world charm of our hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Brisbane.

Reviewed April 29, 2014

I booked a one night stay at the Stamford as a surprise for my boyfriend during a recent holiday to Brisbane.

Apart from the views which are pretty hard to beat in Brisbane, nothing else in this hotel was even close to 5 star.

On arrival the front desk staff were friendly and gave helpful information about what was open in the area given that it was ANZAC Day. There was no offer to take our bag to our room (although I wouldn’t have taken up the offer – it still would have been nice to have the option).

On entering the room we saw twin beds – not the King that I had booked. A quick call down to reception seemed to sort this out. Jack was very apologetic and said he would get concierge to come up to sow us to a new room. We thought this would happen quite quickly so waited out the front of the room – nearly 10 minutes later the concierge came barrelling down the hallway with the luggage trolley and, on seeing out one suitcase, muttered that he shouldn’t have bothered to bring the trolley. He then ran us – and I do mean RAN – to a new room down the hall. He seemed to be put out by the whole situation and told us he was very busy and wasn’t going to come up straight away so we should have waited in the room and watched TV.

The room itself was dated and really needs a refurb. Dated fixtures which need to be replaced or at the very least painted and repaired.

I then met a friend in the Pav Bar downstairs with the intention of having a few drinks and a bite to eat. During our second drink we saw a huge rat running around the courtyard between the lobby and Moo Moo. This instantly turned me off eating there so took ourselves down to Eagle Street instead. I also didn’t bother eating breakfast at the hotel the following morning. I know it’s by the river but come on – it was the size of a small cat.

Management have since assured me pest control have attended but I’m not sure it makes much difference. I certainly won’t be back and I’m not sure how they are clinging on to their 5 star rating.

1  Thank missbubbles

Dear missbubbles,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am most concerned to read of the service you received from our concierge as this is certainly not acceptable and will not be tolerated. I will be investigating further with the team who was working on ANZAC day. Please accept my sincere apologies for this. I also note your comments regarding the rat and please be assured this has been addressed by pest control as the health and safety of our guests is very important. We certainly appreciate your feedback as we do strive to provide an excellent product and service and I apologise once again this did not occur on this occasion.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed April 27, 2014

This hotel probably has the best location in Brisbane. Situated right on the river edge and in the middle of the CBD. The hotel is quiet considering its location which is what you want. The Check-in staff (all girls) were so friendly and helpful which is refreshing. We stayed in a Standard room which was a good size and had a lovely bathroom. We considered it all very good value. I will admit the hotel is a little dated and could do with a spruce up and I think there should be complimentary water in each room, it is after all supposed to be a 5 star hotel.

The buffet Breakfast was pretty good and worth the $30 pp. but I really didn't want to sit and listen to the staff have their weekly meeting. A strange place to hold a meeting among hotel guests.

As the hotel doesn't have a Day Spa we went to Aquarius Day Spa/Health Club in Mary Street. It was fantastic and only a short stroll from the hotel. See separate review.

Would we stay again - Yes. You just can't beat the location and the staff were all super nice.

Room Tip: All rooms have a good outlook
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Philippe K, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2014

Dear Sorrento70,

Thank you for your lovely review and feedback. I am delighted to read you had a great stay and enjoyed our location. I will be sharing your comments with the team as they always enjoy hearing they made a positive difference to a guests stay as it is always our aim to deliver exceptional service. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.