“Outstanding” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #22 of 162 Hotels in Brisbane
Brisbane
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

We only spent one night there, but what a fantastic hotel, staff very helpful & friendly , room spotless & everything worked as it should . It's in a perfect location overlooking the river, with nice walks to be had along the eagle street pier or the Botanical gardens. Only complaint is the parking fee $45 or $50 for valet parking .

Stayed February 2014
Philippe K, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Brisbane, responded to this review, February 2, 2014
Dear Sandra L,

Thank you for your fantastic review. I am pleased to read you found the staff helpful and friendly and the room spotless. I am delighted to read you were able to enjoy our location with walks along Eagle St Pier and the Botanical Gardens. I note your comments regarding the parking and whilst this price may seem high, it is in line, if not cheaper that most other 5 star hotels within Brisbane CBD. We do include parking in some of our packages and it is always worth checking with the hotel direct or through our website to see if there are packages available which include this. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Philippe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (438)
  • Korean first
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2014

We stayed in Brisbane for 2 days and wanted to be close to the river and CBD. As soon as I walked in, the foyer was immaculate and very beautifully set up. The check in staff, warmly welcomed us and went through exactly what the hotel had to offer. We stayed in a deluxe room on the 21st floor where we had a good view of the river and the Storey bridge.

Even better, we had welcome drink vouchers, quality bathroom products with a comfortable bed. The room itself was a tasteful decor, very comfortable with plenty of space. The concierge staff were very informative and very pleasant too in the time we required their assistance.

We felt very special staying at this establishment and especially loved the fact it was an easy walk to get to the CBD and other highlights that Brisbane has to offer.

Room Tip: The deluxe rooms are highly recommended if you like a little more space. Plus the bathroom is very s...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear SMan1973,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am pleased to read you enjoyed our deluxe room amenities and inclusions. We are indeed very fortunate with our location and I am pleased you were able to easily navigate Brisbane CBD and attractions from our doorstep. Thank you for specifically mentioning our front desk and concierge teams. They will be very pleased to receive your lovely comments. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2014

I ended up spending a night at the Stamford due to a flight delay. As I arrived around midnight check-in was very fast. Room service was operating, and I had a very nice pizza for a light meal.
I had a corner room, with views of the river outside each window. The hotel sits on a bend in the river, which meant that each window had a different river view.
The bed was the most comfortable I have slept in in a long time.
Breakfast was the usual buffet, well presented. As it was a fine day I sat outside watching the activity on the river. Very relaxing.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room - great views
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank KiwiBobCambodia
Dear KiwiBobCambodia,

Thank you for your lovely review. I am pleased to read you enjoyed our Junior Suites. You are correct, as they are located on the corner of the building you receive wonderful views of the river from each window. I am pleased you managed to relax before your flight and enjoy the river life, it is indeed very relaxing! I hope we may look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Brisbane.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

we've stayed there for 2 nights recently and actually enjoyed it. The room (on 8 floor with river view) was very nice, big, clean, with everything necessary to have a relaxing and pleasant stay: a big lovely bed with nice linen and comfortable big bathroom with bath and shower. I would agree that maybe it looked a bit old-fashioned 5 star room, but it was with a charm and well-equipped and comfortable. The hotel staff (receptionists, door men, managers in breakfast hall) was very friendly and helpful, we were welcome and got any help we needed. the breakfast was very good, the only thing we didn't like their coffee machine, we think the coffee was not the best and the machines should be simply replaced for better ones. We liked the hotel location, very central and we could see the beautiful bridge and Brisbane river, as well to visit the best restaurants nearby and again enjoy beautiful views and cuisines. Our favourite restaurant is Moo Moo located almost on territory of the hotel, we had a lovely meal and delicious Australian wine recommended by the friendly restaurant waiters. We loved our stay in the hotel and definitely added some positive feeling about Brisbane itself, as we found Brisbane very nice, friendly and welcome. We would recommend this hotel to our friends.

Room Tip: our room was on 8 floor with river view.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Philippe K, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Brisbane, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Dear Jane M,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay with us. I am pleased you had an enjoyable stay and found the staff welcoming and helpful. I note your comments regarding the coffee machine and appreciate your feedback as this is a new addition and we want to make sure we have the correct machine for our guests needs. I trust you will enjoy the rest of your stay in Australia and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Brisbane.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

When you pay good money for a venue food and wait staff you expect a level of service.
The venue was great.
The food was very good and arrived at regular intervals.
Our waitress obviously didn't want to be there.
She was unhelpful unfriendly uncooperative and disappeared for long period of time.
While I can't fault the venue or the food they could certainly do some work on the customer service.

Stayed January 2014
Philippe K, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Brisbane, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Dear Avalon108,

Thank you for your review. I am disappointed to read of the service you received and sincerely apologise for this as this is certainly not the level of service we expect from our team members. Please be assured this has been addressed with our newly arrived Food and Beverage Manager so further customer service training can occur. I am pleased you couldn't fault the food and venue and I hope we may have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future so that we can demonstrate the 5 star service we are known for.

Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

I am a Brisbane local and the reason for my stay was one of necessity as my house flooded over the weekend.

My background is customer service and motivating and inspiring a team to help customers feel their best. Great customer service in turn generates return business, loyal customers and a positive engaged team of staff.

Reading previous recent reviews, the underlying theme behind customer negative feedback are service and setting.

It is unfortunate that the pool does not get sun in the afternoon and that the rooms have that old world feel about them, however, I would be willing to overlook these details if the service was outstanding, which it certainly was not.

Let's start at the concierge. Dark hair and skin. My husband and I arrived at 7:30pm. The concierge did not smile when he asked us that he take our car. Really? Not happy to see us? He mentioned the self park was full and that he would valet park our car. Our voucher from our Internet booking included self parking only. Would we be charged the $50 for valet? Time would tell. It is unfortunate that this staff member did not create meaning around this internal issue for us to put our mind at ease. A simple "Welcome to the Stamford madam. Our self parking is full for the evening, however, we'd like to offer complimentary valet to you instead. Is that ok". The staff member offered to take my bags, but his tone and delivery of the "can I take your bags?" Led me to feel I was inconveniencing him if I had have said yes. A poor welcome and poor first impression yes?

Moving into reception, I must commend Alexandria on her efficient and gracious check in. Well groomed and well spoken, we mentioned the reason for our stay which was met with genuine concern and empathy. The foyer setting was quiet but clean. There was hope yet for our stay!

The deluxe room. Yes it is a little dated, but for an older hotel but it is clean and spacious. The beds are comfotable. I love a pillow menu! There is plunger coffee as well as the regular instant coffee but no signage stating the cost if there is one? A full length mirror wouldn't go astray. If the bathrooms are to be renovated, please remove the hideous down lights from the bathroom mirror. Up lighting or side lighting is far better lighting for a mirror which is used for makeup or shaving and could be the difference between a well made up guest or one leaving looking like a clown!

Breakfast. Oh dear. Where do I start. There were lots of staff. Not many smiles. And certainly no swans! (swans paddle like crazy under the water but all onlookers see is a seemingly effortless, smooth and graceful glide!). We were not offered coffee. GRR. This coffee machine idea is not great. People line up annoyed and irritated. They're on holidays. This is not what guests signed up for. Bring back the table service coffee and ask your staff to smile. Just a little bit. If they don't want to smile then ask them why they are there in the first place!

The buffet was large but not very appetising. The croissant tasted fishy. NO! NO! NO! Dear god no. A staff member poured some cheap looking bottles of OJ (possibly concentrate?) into the juice dispenser. NO! For pete's sake put it into some clear glass jugs before going in front of customers. We don't want to see that. We want to feel that our holiday is amazing not some cheap crap juice or off croissant. The way to people's hearts is through their belly. If you want to see an amazing buffet go sample the Fairmont in Singapore or the Ayana Club Bali. No one likes a crap buffet. Nobody.

Going back to concierge to pick up our car to go check on how the repairs are going... The concierge manager? Bronde hair? Mentioned that he would go get our car and he'd be a while as it was right at the back. Ok no problems... Too much information though. Again talking about internal issues that don't matter to the guest. A guest doesn't need to know their car is right at the back. A guest needs to feel welcome and that their needs are going to be taken care of. Seamlessly. magically. "Good afternoon madam, sure let me bring your car up for you." Upon our return, instead of issuing a new voucher for valet, the same guy mentioned to just show my license to concierge, his uncaring tone and delivery was appalling. What the hell. I hate my license photo and sure do want to share that unnecessarily. Just issue a new ticket you idiot. At my workplace, a customer complaint is grounds for a record of discussion. He would have had one. I felt like an idiot for taking a photo of the old stub on my keys. "Technology hey?" He said. Indeed. Doesn't replace basic manners in a supposed 5 star hotel.

There was a guy at the Fairmont who used to work a 14 hour day just opening doors for guests, greeting and fare welling guests in such a warm positive manner... Just watching him made our stay.

What is exceptional customer service and what does it look like? Sound like? Feel like? Not my experience that is for sure. I hope you investigate this and share with your staff as it would appear the majority currently do not know or do not care.

Previously, I have invited multiple personal and business guests to stay at the Stamford and I hope you can take something from this and turn it around.

Room Tip: Ask for a Storey bridge view room.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Rycegirl,

Thank you very much for your comprehensive review of your stay with us. I am sorry to hear of the flooding you experienced and can certainly empathise with you.

I am very disappointed to read of the service you received during your stay as this is certainly not the standard I expect of my team and for this I sincerely apologise. The hotel is indeed committed to providing a quality product and service and it seems on this occasion this did not occur. Your review has been shared with all the staff and is being further addressed and investigated with the relevant department heads and staff members. Our guests are very important to us and as you mention, excellent service is vital to retain them.

Thank you for your feedback on the bathroom layout and design. We do have a refurbishment planned and your comments will assist us in the planning of this.

I thank you once again for your valuable feedback and please accept my apologies once again. I hope we may have the opportunity to welcome you back under better circumstances in the future to change to adverse impression that was projected on this occasion.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

I have stayed here a few times - most recently in jan 14. The hotel i guess i would call old school 5 star - It is not modern or minimalist but its still a great place to stay. It could do with a refurb in the very near future. Parking/valet easy and porters with bad very quick. The rooms are tired but still of good quality and as for the beds - excellent. The rooms are very clean and have great views over river. Try to stay higher up to avoid pool noise if possible. Location is really good too in the centre of town but tucked away. Would stay again anytime.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Chrismac_85,

Firstly I would like to thank you for returning to Stamford Plaza Brisbane and for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am pleased to advise we do have a refurbishment planned for this year. We have already replaced all the beds in the rooms and I am pleased to read you found the bed excellent. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to enjoy our new look in the near future.