“Wedding stay”

Ranked #25 of 157 Hotels in Brisbane
Brisbane, Australia
“Wedding stay”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We stayed at the Stamford on Saturday night as we were getting married in the city and reception at Eagle St Pier. Firstly, check in very smooth and easy,as this was a 5 star hotel I was surprised that we had to take our own bags up to our room. The lobby area is really lovely , feels like your going to have a 5 star experience. The rooms are defiantly just a 4 star, they are a bit tired and outdated, furniture is 90's circa I would guess, carpet in our room a little tired. The bed was huge and really comfortable, bathroom was very nice, all spotlessly clean, very important !! They had bathrobes in the wardrobe, but after wearing it for a couple of minutes I had to take it off as its really thick and heavy, not too comfy to wear.Valet parking is $45 a day, self park $40, overpriced I think. Upon returning to our room after wedding they had left a bottle of sparkly and a nice note congratulating us on Wedding, some choccies would be a nice touch to add I think .We decided to have the breakfast buffet with some friends that were also staying, it is fairly expensive at $44 each, but it is a really great selection of food, nothing missing, plenty of it and replaced promptly, my only complaint was the coffee, I dont know why Hotels worldwide make their coffee so strong that it's almost undrinkable, I like strong coffee but could not get through 1/2 a cup, really bitter.Basically would I stay again, probably yes.

Room Tip: We had a riverfront room, views are fabulous, request if you can.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Charmaine_SPB, Guest Relations Manager at Stamford Plaza Brisbane, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear Shellie31

May I first say - Congratulations! - I hope your wedding day and night was all you'd hoped it would be and that you had a fabulous time!

We do try to ensure that all our guests have a memorable stay with us, whatever the occasion. I was therefore surprised and disappointed to read that you weren't offered luggage service. I will certainly mention this to our Chief Concierge, Nick, who will address this with his team.

Car parking in the city is a premium, which is why we do constantly checking the pricing of our sister hotels to ensure that we are on par, which at $40, we currently are.

Breakfast in the Brasserie is certainly a treat. I normally walk through there of a morning and it does look lovely out there - it's such a great spot for breakfast or high tea.

We wish you a long and happy marriage and look forward to having you with us again in the future.

Best wishes

Charmaine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (445)
  • Korean first
Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for Easter. Great entrance and lobby, not much concierge service, it looked like they were a bit busy. Quick and friendly check in. Rooms are nice, a few have mentioned it is dated but it's a 'homely' feel not a modern hotel so no idea what they are taking about. The main TV and bathroom TV do seem a bit dated and have bad pictures, the corkboard as you walk in is a bit tacky as well. Bathrooms are large and my room had a great view of the river. Would have liked free internet which this hotel does not offer. Checkout was quick again although my room wasn't prepaid even though my confirmation letter said it would be. Nice hotel that could be great if they didn't charge for the little things.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear jog0

We thank you for your very valid comments regarding the televisions and the internet. We are currently in the process of replacing our tv's, a process which should be completed over the next month or so. There are several accommodation packages available which include internet as a standard so when next you visit, please query this option as it may best suit your requirements.

I was disappointed to read that Concierge wasn't on hand to assist when needed. We do find that Easter and long weekends are a little different to normal weekends, as we have a higher number of day visitors than normal and also a number of special events that require more attention from our team. Quite often we find that our leisure guests require more assistance than our corporate guests, in terms of restaurant recommendations, suggestions for entertainment, car hire, additional luggage assistance and so forth. Despite that, we do aim to ensure that there is always a team member availble to assist, so our apologies that wasn't the case during your stay.

We do aim to maintain the old world charm of the hotel, though also provide the modern conveniences which our guests expect. The majority of our guests doing the hotel purely because of its character, which is always nice to hear.

We wish you safe travels and look forward to having you with us again in the future.

Best wishes

Charmaine
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed April 14, 2013

The Stamford Plaza is advertised as a 5 star hotel in the middle of Brisbane and they charge 5 star prices! The hotel is very dated and should be remodeled. Opon arrival for a recent 5 night stay, my husband found several long, dark hairs on the bathroom floor and the water in the shower was lukewarm and never really got hot. The desk chair had disgusting stains on it and the room thermostat didn't work.

When checking out, the compensation they offered him was to cancel the breakfast charge that day (he hadn't eaten breakfast) and to omit their usual credit card fee of 1.5%. My husband travels to Brisbane a lot and is continually amazed at their hotel prices, extra credit card charges and lack of standards.

Room Tip: Check to see if there's hot water and the room is clean before you accept it!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Keektoo
Charmaine_SPB, Guest Relations Manager at Stamford Plaza Brisbane, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Keektoo,

Many thanks for your feedback on your recent stay at the Stamford Plaza Brisbane. We encourage both positive and negative feedback. Sorry to hear that your Bathroom was not up to standard, as a matter of interest, every single one of our Guest Rooms are checked after Housekeeping, and dissapointed to hear, in this instance that our systems checks did not pick it up. We hope that we can encourage you to return to the Hotel, so that we can show you our normally very high standards. Many thanks Tonia
Hong Kong
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Stayed here for two nights in April 2013.

Location: Next to Eagle Street Pier, short enough (two blocks) walk to the Queen Street Mall shopping and eating precinct.

Rooms: Rooms were on the small side for Brisbane. Not designed with business travelers in mind - the work desk was one of the tiniest I've ever seen with a LAN cable hardly long enough to connect to my laptop unless I worked in an awkward position with my laptop very far from myself and propped up against the wall. Also inadequate in-room lighting. The bed was comfortable enough and closet was decent although without large roomy drawers to store personal items. A couch would have been nice but instead there were two large chairs and a small coffee table. All in all, I thought there was much room for improvement on the room design.

Bathrooms: Separate bath and shower, shower area was starting to show signs of age. Provided L'Occitane bath products which was a nice touch.

Service/Amenities: Decent sized gym, small pool but with good views across the Brisbane river. Hotel service was decent but consistently under-staffed (only one person manning the reception, Housekeeping took a long time to arrive, breakfast room service was 10 minutes late, etc.)

Value for money: At around AUD 250 per room per night, I think there are better options out there. The main perk was that Internet was free and got a bunch of complimentary drink vouchers for my Deluxe room. However, if you want a traditional, old world style comfortable hotel with good views of Brisbane river and proximity to Eagle St Pier, that may justify the price.

I didn't try any of the hotel restaurants given the excellent options available at Eagle St Pier so not able to comment on either breakfast or dinner options.

Room Tip: All rooms I think have views across Brisbane river. Lower floor rooms have less privacy as can be se...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Globetrotting_HKer
Charmaine_SPB, Guest Relations Manager at Stamford Plaza Brisbane, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear Globetrotting H Ker,

Thank you for your comments re your stay at the Stamford Plaza Brisbane. You are right, our location is good, close to the Eagle Street Pier, where all the Restaurants are, and the Pier, for easy ferry access. Glad that you liked L'Occitane, which we offer to our Guests in the Deluxe Rooms. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Stamford Plaza Brisbane.
Kind Regards
Tonia
Townsville, Australia
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Absolutely loved everything about our weekend here. Had afternoon tea in our room, looking out over the river watching the many boats and ferries go past. Facilities excellent, staff excellent, food outstanding

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lodges_13
Dear Lodges_13,

Thanks for your feedback re your stay at the Stamford Plaza Brisbane. It is really good to know that you enjoyed your stay, you are right, our special Location overlooking the River is just perfect for Afternoon Tea in the Bedroom! Great that you enjoyed our Facilities, and our Food. We really look forward to welcoming you to the Hotel again. Kind Regards Tonia
Glaziers Bay, Australia
Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

As expected for a Stamford the place was almost immaculate. I only stayed one night but had a great nights sleep in a comfortable bed. I only had a club sandwich via room service, yet the meal was tasty and there was plenty of food. The location on the river is superb, and I will stay here again.
Surprisingly, my only criticism would be some mould in the shower recess. I hadn't expected that !

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Longine,

Many thanks for your feedback on your recent stay at the Stamford Plaza Brisbane. Great to hear that you enjoyed our comfy beds, and yes, our location is great, being right on the Brisbane River. With regards to the mould in the shower recess, thanks for bringing this to our attention, we are addressing this issue. We look forward to seeing you again at the Stamford Plaza Brisbane .Kind Regards Tonia
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I stayed here for a couple of nights with my partner. Very easy to find and nice driveway/lobby. Concierge were very busy so no bag service but that was ok. My father booked a special easter package through their website which was to be pre paid.On check in it wasnt which caused a bit of confusion but I had enough funds with me for this. I wasnt prepared for an extra $200 for extras, usually hotels only need $100 for the whole stay. Breakfast on the weekend was a special for easter at $30 per person instead of $42 which was great and much better value. View from the room looked towards kangaroo point and was very nice. Bathroom bigger then most other Brisbane hotels which made the stay comfortable. Only issue was the bathroom TV being very loud on the lowest setting. Overall a good stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Gregg271,

Many thanks for your feedback on your recent stay at the Stamford Plaza Brisbane, we appreciate it. The Views are great from our Rooms, you are right, and the Bathroom size is the largest in our Competitor Hotels. Sorry to hear that the Bathroom TV was too loud, we have taken your comments onboard, and we are addressing this issue. We look forward to seeing you at the Stamford Plaza Brisbane in the future. Kind Regards Tonia